Help needed getting Kick Off Competition Version to work!

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderator: Moderators

jonsurf
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Help needed getting Kick Off Competition Version to work!

Postby jonsurf » Sat May 24, 2008 10:58 am

Hi there

I'm completely new to the Kick Off forum and to Amiga! I've been playing Kick Off 2 Final Whistle with my mate on the ST since 91 and we now want to be able to play the competition version on the Amiga with a view to taking part in tournaments in future. I've bought a very basic A500 (512k I think). I wonder whether anyone can help us get set up :D , I've got a few questions...

* Which is the latest competition version of Kick Off/Final Whistle? Will it work on the A500?
* I don't seem to have a Workbench disk, will I need to get one or is there a way to boot up Workbench without a disk?
* How do I transfer the image file for the competition version from the PC to the A500 and get it to run?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Many thanks

Jon
alkis21

Re: Help needed getting Kick Off Competition Version to work!

Postby alkis21 » Sat May 24, 2008 11:09 am

Hello Jon, welcome to the KOA.

jonsurf wrote:* Which is the latest competition version of Kick Off/Final Whistle? Will it work on the A500?

The last version is 0.2.1. I don't remember whether FW needs 1MB of RAM to work. Can anyone confirm?

* I don't seem to have a Workbench disk, will I need to get one or is there a way to boot up Workbench without a disk?

The Workbench is not needed.

* How do I transfer the image file for the competition version from the PC to the A500 and get it to run?

It is not easy with a standard A500 without a hard disk, you'd need to get hold of a bunch of stuff and if all you want to transfer is one disk it's not worth the trouble. The best solution would be for you to meet your nearest KOAer. Where are you located?
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Sat May 24, 2008 12:34 pm

jonsurf wrote:I'm completely new to the Kick Off forum and to Amiga! I've been playing Kick Off 2 Final Whistle with my mate on the ST since 91 and we now want to be able to play the competition version on the Amiga with a view to taking part in tournaments in future.

Music to our ears!!! New players are always welcome, Jon !!! :)

Haven't got time right now other than to say check out the red link in my signature for loads of useful links....
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Rayge
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Rayge » Sat May 24, 2008 1:08 pm

If i remember well, final whistle was working great with 500kb. Having 1MB ram would only load extra sounds.
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Sat May 24, 2008 7:22 pm

This is the FWCV thread - skip to the bottom for the latest version.

As for transferring files from PC to the Amiga, check out this thread about the Compact Flash PCMCIA Adaptor.

Alternatively, as Alkis suggests, let us know where you're from. Better still, if you're from anywhere near Birmingham Jon, you'd be very welcome to come along to our next tourney (prob in June)... :)

Seeya around
Garry
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
jonsurf
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby jonsurf » Mon May 26, 2008 4:48 pm

It is not easy with a standard A500 without a hard disk, you'd need to get hold of a bunch of stuff and if all you want to transfer is one disk it's not worth the trouble. The best solution would be for you to meet your nearest KOAer. Where are you located?

Thanks everyone for your welcome messages and for your suggestions :) . I wonder whether anyone would be kind enough to send me a disk with the competition version on? If you would then please message me directly. I can send you a cheque to cover your costs.

Many thanks

Jon
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Mon May 26, 2008 4:52 pm

I can do that for you Jon, no worries mate.
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
jonsurf
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby jonsurf » Mon May 26, 2008 4:54 pm

I can do that for you Jon, no worries mate.

Thanks a lot Steve. :D I'll send you a message with my address.

Cheers

Jon