Final Whistle Competition Version - 0.2.1 Released 03-04-08

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderator: Moderators

John Wilson
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:33 pm
Location: Sheffield
Contact:

Re: Final Whistle Competition Version - 0.1.1 Released 12-03-08

Postby John Wilson » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:37 pm

TheFoxSoft wrote:I played few matches, the game is great and absolutely funny!
The KO2 keepers and the Optimistic tactic give you a different game much more enjoyable.
However the physics in FW is a little bit different so we have pro and cons.
PRO: You can perform long balls with a shorter range allowing you to create fantastic playing.
CONS: the standard KO2 goals are much more difficult especially due the FW teams that are poor in shooting

However my biggest corner is about 1.9 version, it seems you cannot change tactic with this version. I know 2.1 fixed this problem so i suggest to John to work on 2.1 version next time.

Conclusion:
my feeling is this FW version could be the best ever in few releases, but we already have an excellent and so improved game!

Congratulations John impressive work! 8)


...thanks for the comprehensive feedback Gianluca - much appreciated :)

TheFoxSoft wrote:CONS: the standard KO2 goals are much more difficult especially due the FW teams that are poor in shooting

I agree that the forwards, particularly Ian Wright, are not as accurate as Barber / Nicholls. However they do seem to kick the ball very hard! I may be imagining this but the proof will be shown one way or the other when I port Steve's KO2CV stats to FW-CV.
Another option is to add the KO2 international team as one of the lower division sides. If that proves easy I may add the original KO international team too as durban suggested.

TheFoxSoft wrote:However my biggest corner is about 1.9 version, it seems you cannot change tactic with this version. I know 2.1 fixed this problem so i suggest to John to work on 2.1 version next time.

If you are referring to the 'Squad Selection Screen' where the formation layout does not appear to change I know what you mean. However, once the game starts the formation is in fact correct and you can change formation correctly using the standard keys - i.e. the game plays OK but you cannot see the formation layout before the game.
I did start work on 2.1 but the differences are so minor I didnt bother continuing. It's a bit of a pain but I will do this now as a few have made the same suggestion (and the longer I leave it the harder it will become).

Thanks again :)
TheFoxSoft
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4208
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Rome, Italy

Re: Final Whistle Competition Version - 0.1.1 Released 12-03-08

Postby TheFoxSoft » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:00 pm

About tactic problems i mean it seems i cannot change tactic ingame with 1-4 keys
John Wilson
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:33 pm
Location: Sheffield
Contact:

Re: Final Whistle Competition Version - 0.1.1 Released 12-03-08

Postby John Wilson » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:29 am

TheFoxSoft wrote:About tactic problems i mean it seems i cannot change tactic ingame with 1-4 keys

:?o: I don't seem to get this problem. In any case, there is obviously some problem as the tactics are not correctly shown on the squad list screen. As you say 2.1 fixes all this so that's what I'll be working on next.
TheFoxSoft
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4208
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Rome, Italy

Re: Final Whistle Competition Version - 0.1.1 Released 12-03-08

Postby TheFoxSoft » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:07 am

John Wilson wrote:
TheFoxSoft wrote:About tactic problems i mean it seems i cannot change tactic ingame with 1-4 keys

:?o: I don't seem to get this problem. In any case, there is obviously some problem as the tactics are not correctly shown on the squad list screen. As you say 2.1 fixes all this so that's what I'll be working on next.


John you are my hero :)
User avatar
filippodb
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!
Posts: 2491
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Supposed to be in Rome (but usually in Venice - Italy)
Contact:

Re: Final Whistle Competition Version - 0.1.1 Released 12-03-08

Postby filippodb » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:23 pm

Hi John, we were discussing in the italian forum about the goalkeeper on KO1, expecially on penalties.
IMO KO1 is, after FW, the most underrated game ever and there're something that I really miss, like Penalties practice and the "PENALTY!" speech :D

But going more focused on KO1 penalties I realized how much easy is to control the goalkeeper and save penalties. IMO this is a really great feature, you have more time to decide where to move the goalkeeper! And much more chances to save a penalty!

Can you check this? I would be so happy to have a "KO1 penalty" option on FWCV :D :D
John Wilson
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:33 pm
Location: Sheffield
Contact:

Re: Final Whistle Competition Version - 0.1.1 Released 12-03-08

Postby John Wilson » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:39 pm

filippodb wrote:Hi John, we were discussing in the italian forum about the goalkeeper on KO1, expecially on penalties.
IMO KO1 is, after FW, the most underrated game ever and there're something that I really miss, like Penalties practice and the "PENALTY!" speech :D

But going more focused on KO1 penalties I realized how much easy is to control the goalkeeper and save penalties. IMO this is a really great feature, you have more time to decide where to move the goalkeeper! And much more chances to save a penalty!

Can you check this? I would be so happy to have a "KO1 penalty" option on FWCV :D :D


...I'll have to load up my good old KO1 disk and look at this. I vaguely remember these features but haven't played KO1 since 1990!

I do cleary (and fondly) remember the the referee's "PENALTY!" speech however - definitely worth resurrecting. I always thought it was hilarious as:
  • The ref had a really miserable Northern English accent.
  • Occasionally you'd get an audio glitch before "penalty" that sounded like a screaming hiccup played backwards - something like "aaaaAAAAHHCKK - PENALTY".
    Me and my mates could do a pretty good impression of this back in the day :lol:
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!
Posts: 3491
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:34 pm
Location: Kick Off House - Milano - Italy
Contact:

Re: Final Whistle Competition Version - 0.1.1 Released 12-03-08

Postby Torchiador » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:49 pm

Hi John, I have found an old post about this matter, maybe the Steve's words may help you in to find the right way to have a good goalkeeper in penalties.

Steve Camber wrote:
Torchiador wrote:
7 in penalty kick (AI?)

I have an idea about PKs.
sometimes the goalkeeper doesn't dive to stop the ball even if you move the joystick. may you have a look on those random factor? maybe that the reason about these no dives is in those 7 random factor...
I'm sure the reason isn't in my joystick. :)

I have looked at the code.

The random element in the goalie save is purely for the CPU goalie.

For the human save, the direction must already be selected at the time that the fire button is pressed... Pressing the fire button and then moving the joystick 1 frame later is not good enough as the goalie will not jump.



Link: http://ko-gathering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13508&p=211984&hilit=goalkeeper+penalty#p211984

BTW that thread is really really interesting IMO.
Image
User avatar
samo79
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Italy

Re: Final Whistle Competition Version - 0.1.1 Released 12-03-08

Postby samo79 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:21 pm

I open a similar thread here:

http://ko-gathering.com/forum/viewtopic ... 65#p234895

Plaease get it ! :-D
Le mele a volte possono essere devastate dal colpo feroce di una tempesta, ma il tenero fascio del sole potrà sempre far sviluppare dei nuovi frutti
John Wilson
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:33 pm
Location: Sheffield
Contact:

Re: Final Whistle Competition Version - 0.1.1 Released 12-03-08

Postby John Wilson » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:37 am

Torchiador wrote:Hi John, I have found an old post about this matter, maybe the Steve's words may help you in to find the right way to have a good goalkeeper in penalties.

Steve Camber wrote:For the human save, the direction must already be selected at the time that the fire button is pressed... Pressing the fire button and then moving the joystick 1 frame later is not good enough as the goalie will not jump.


Link: http://ko-gathering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13508&p=211984&hilit=goalkeeper+penalty#p211984

BTW that thread is really really interesting IMO.


...I read through that thread last night - certainly plenty of interesting observations that I'd not come across before. I'll look at 'keeper control during penalties after the next release (now have 2.1 working by the way :D and added features like the unintended slide fix, pitch walls and untouchable backpass fix option). If possible I'd prefer to stick to original 'keeper behaviour - even if that original behaviour is from KO1!
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!
Posts: 3491
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:34 pm
Location: Kick Off House - Milano - Italy
Contact:

Re: Final Whistle Competition Version - 0.1.1 Released 12-03-08

Postby Torchiador » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:37 pm

John Wilson wrote:(now have 2.1 working by the way :D and added features like the unintended slide fix, pitch walls and untouchable backpass fix option)

Is it the April fool's trick? :D please link the file!
I'm really curious to see the original goal keeper dive control in action, btw there is a way to make penalty practice: you just need to able the free kicks practice in CV menu (KO2CV) select the free kick spot in penalty box.
BTW, John, is it possible for you to add a direct penalty challenge between PLayer1 Vs Player two?
Image
User avatar
samo79
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Italy

Re: Final Whistle Competition Version - 0.1.1 Released 12-03-08

Postby samo79 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:17 am

8)
Le mele a volte possono essere devastate dal colpo feroce di una tempesta, ma il tenero fascio del sole potrà sempre far sviluppare dei nuovi frutti
Semtex
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!
Posts: 2917
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:00 am

Re:

Postby Semtex » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:51 am

Abyss wrote:
gdh82 wrote:
Not if that sends the ball over the bar of course? I was just thinking of a way to make the notoriously difficult freekicks more user-friendly, creating more enjoyment for all KOA'ers. Besides I was thinking out loud rather than making a proper suggestion - I'll save those for the wishlist thread :)



As John pointed, the height is determined by how long you keep the fire button pressed. Therefore, if we had the option of using this interface for direct freek kicks, we would indeed all use the maximum power.


Wow!!! Haven't looked here for months and all this!!!! amazing work!!! I'll have to get me miggy back from Noodles...

On this free kick business... interesting idea but I think the bar would move too quickly for me to do anything anyway :lol:

But... can you confirm, as I always felt it worked, that pressing joystick forward after freekick forces the ball down? ie you can arc the ball over the wall as well as bend it sideways... Probably my imagination but I believed that if you could get the ball to bounce in front of the keeper it was a guaranteed goal as he just watched it bounce and then the ball goes into the net by his side. if it stays in the air the keeper will dive... this is KO as well as FW.
User avatar
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!
Posts: 4304
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Concord,NC, USA
Contact:

Re: Final Whistle Competition Version - 0.1.1 Released 12-03-08

Postby Stainy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:13 am

Yes, thats right Hayd! you can direct it before the fella walks up and touches it.. then you have dip, lift and swerve after he`s booted it
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest