KO2CV Stats

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderator: Moderators

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

KO2CV Stats

Postby gdh82 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:49 pm

I'm already a big fan of KO2CV Stats but I wanted to start a thread where we could discuss them some more. :) I've gathered together some posts from other threads to bring related ideas together.

gdh82 wrote:A couple of suggestion to enhance the already super goal and match stats...

* keep statistics on display at end of game until fire button pressed (otherwise sometimes miss them!)
* show goal stat info at time of goal in place of "GOAL - Team A/Scorer - Barber")
* display type of goal where and if possible e.g KO LOB, LOB, PEN, F-KICK, BLC, CORNER etc etc

Steve Camber wrote:Thanks to the work of Gianni, 1 pixel now equals 7.625cm. Stats in KO2CV will soon be adjusted to match this new scale.

Robert Swift wrote:
% of time the ball spent in each half of the pitch.

I think this is a much more useful measure than % possession, and could replace it.

Well, the stats are actually a great bonus as they create a talking point. Or should I say enrich a talking point. Very often people say "I dominated the game but you got one lucky lob and it went in." Now we will have the technology to prove or disprove this statement.

It's also very good for players to analyse their game.

Low territorial dominance suggests a need for a new tactic or better heading/tackling.

High territorial dominance but low goal attempts suggests a poor final ball.

High goal attempts but mainly off target shooting suggests poor positioning or accuracy.

Low shot-to-goal ratio indicates either bad luck - 'the keeper was elite' - or poor finishing selection/execution.

I'm sure I've missed other posts and there's a few other thoughts I'll add later but is there anything else that would be a great inclusion in the KO2CV stats ?
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Gunther

Postby Gunther » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:30 pm

Would it be possible to show who gave the assist?
KOA Founder
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:06 am

Gunther wrote:Would it be possible to show who gave the assist?

Maybe!
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer - Ranked somewhere waaaay down the list
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :)
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:29 pm

Steve Camber wrote:
Gunther wrote:Would it be possible to show who gave the assist?

Maybe!

Would be very interesting inclusion, perhaps on the goal stats page? It would highlight who provides the through ball and possibly give an indication of where it is from (from the wing, from centre midfield, or even a lob pass out of defence) ? Don't want to go too far, but the distance of the assist (ie show whether short or long lob pass) could be interesting too ? :)
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:29 pm

Partly to enhance the end-of-half stats and partly to clear some information from higher up the screen to allow goal stats to begin from the top, I wanted to suggest the following:

* move direction of play, team name and tactic to lower right
* add %territory (% in each half)
* add %accuracy (shots on target/shots)
* add %conversion (goals/shots on target)

I've quickly mocked up something in excel to show what I mean:

I aimed to include key details so to quickly provide the main indicators on who's winning the KO2 battle! You'll notice that I've removed avg goal distance which I thought could be included as part of the goal stats info ? As for the fouls count I wondered if this could be displayed during the game, along the lines of the instant goal stats.

I was thinking that maybe the bottom line of the screen could be utilised for occasional in-game information, just for a few seconds. Over time this could provide incidental stats at key stages during the game:

* instant goal stats
* foul count for both sides (each time a foul is committed)
* corner count
* woodwork hit count
* missed shot stats (distance over and/or distance wide)

These extra in-game stats would be displayed when there is naturally a pause in play. (foul, corner, etc) Imo these would add yet more talking points, provide some concrete feedback on how a game is going, perhaps heightening the tension, and be a statastic addition to the great game! :) 8)
Last edited by gdh82 on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:01 pm

Garry, if you can produce a highly detailed accurate design document for the on-screen stats, then I will implement it.

Come up with a series of accurate full screenshots at different points in the game (or preferably a video) which would demonstrate the functionality. Remember that the screen is 320x224, and each character is 6x6. Also we don't want text overlap, so avoid clashing. Also worth remembering is that not all TVs show the whole picture, so keeping vital data away from the edges is to be considered.
--
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:14 pm

Steve Camber wrote:Garry, if you can produce a highly detailed accurate design document for the on-screen stats, then I will implement it.

Come up with a series of accurate full screenshots at different points in the game (or preferably a video) which would demonstrate the functionality. Remember that the screen is 320x224, and each character is 6x6. Also we don't want text overlap, so avoid clashing. Also worth remembering is that not all TVs show the whole picture, so keeping vital data away from the edges is to be considered.

Thanks Steve - I'm in kobra heaven! :D I'll have a little play with these and see what I can come up with.

320/6=53, 224/6=37 so the screen has 53 columns and 37 rows. Is that what I need to work within ? I'll aim to keep things simple and not hugely dissimilar to what they are now...

Abyss

Postby Abyss » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:26 am

gdh82 wrote:

Spyros never plays 532!
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:39 am

Abyss wrote:Spyros never plays 532!

Admission - I made that bit up! :) Together with the possession/territory stats. The shots/goals stats, however, are taken from the WC07 final.

Abyss

Postby Abyss » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:41 am

Gianni had 20 shots and 4 goals and I had 4/10? :) :D :)
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:58 am

Abyss wrote:Gianni had 20 shots and 4 goals and I had 4/10? :) :D :)

That's right - whilst Gianni had a 70 % accuracy (greater percentage of shots on target), you had a killer 67% conversion rate (converting shots on target into goals) compared to Gianni's 29 %.

Btw is Score % a better way of describing Conversion % (which sounds more like rugby). 'Score' takes up fewer letters on the screen too! Or even Goal %

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:02 pm

Had enough of trying to get the family pc going - time for some play! :) Using an excell spreedsheet 53x37 cells, here's a first draft of a suggested half-time/full-time screen/when 'p-pause' is pressed:

Ignore the dummy details - I was just cutting and pasting for speed. Excel kept changing lower case 'i's into 'I' too ? I chose the biggest two players names I could find. I've included various goal types even though I don't know if it'll be possible to identify them in the code?

Having a 'table of goal stats' allows for 12 goals per screen (enough for most mortals! ;)) but I wondered if the '[' key could be used to display further goals ?

I also wondered is it possible to low-light the background (pitch/players/scanner) when this type of screen is displayed to make it easier to read ?

And further suggestions or feedback ?

I'll look at the in-game stats separately...

PS Thankyou to Rach for letting me use her laptop (her christmas pressie! 8))

Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:09 pm

A great start!

I think losing the scanner while paused would be a loss to some. Still, it does give up a lot of space back to play with!
--