KO2 PC project

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderator: Moderators

Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:35 pm

Just a reminder.. This is no replacement for KO2 on Amiga. It's a project for fun!
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer - Ranked somewhere waaaay down the list
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :)
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Stainy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:40 pm

Me me me me!! I want it!!

:D :D
Sid
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Sid » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:49 pm

If you tell me what to do and how to set it up, then I'm in too (on the laptop!)

Will need to buy a PC joystick ... but thats minor...
WC2011 #20th position
WC2011 Rodolfo's new arch enemy and Silver Cup dream ender!
WC2011 The KOA's new bowling champion
UKC2009 #1 Silver Cup Winner
UKC2007 organiser
GingerPete
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby GingerPete » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:15 pm

Steve Camber wrote:
JamesHBeard wrote:Can we have some sentry droids ?

no offense jim but if this topic does not entertain you then just stay out of it mate. If we all just go around ripping threads to pieces on here it is doomed.

:lol: :lol:

Steve I am really excited about all this, hows the logistics going to work then?

I will be willing to help with any c/c++ programming
Game artwork in photshop.
sql database work if required.

I hope you know what you have started here!

A few Q's

1) Game dynamics, Pitch ball size etc are all teh same??
2)Any changes to this game engine will have to be done by you in assembler?
3) New c++ coding will only be used for the none gaming setup, example leagues etc.

4)I dont want to say this incase it sort of spirals out of control, but if we are doing all this, changing the artwork adding new control via analog sticks is it not easier to simply re design the entire game from scrath to the same feel as kick off?
jesper
1000+ Poster!
1000+ Poster!

Postby jesper » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:23 pm

Steve Camber wrote:Volunteers so far:

Steve
Freshy
Spyros
GingerPete
Jim
Garry

Please add me to the list. :)

As a starting point we can use the replay viewer code to do the gfx. If someone with a bit a 2d graphical skills is anxious to get started, improving to sprites (eg. double resolution + more colours) would be a good start.

Original sprites are on the wiki: http://www.ko-gathering.com/wiki/index. ... le=Sprites

Torchiador wrote:Nice Idea but I'm not so sure about WinUAE, I use it and I have the Catweasel board in my PC. The winUAE limit the input lag/delay. Using any kind of controller like real amiga joystick mounted on catweasel or amiga gameport cable adapter/parallel port gable adapter/keyboard/pc joystick on game port/USB PC Joystick on USB port: there is a terrible lag.
If you try to play kickoff on winUAE you can feel that lag. so I don't like to play KO2 on winUAE. Besides this one, I'm sure that the greater part ou us have got an LCD Monitor connected to PC. The LCD Monitor add a lag of 10ms... This is the reason because I've got one amiga mounted in my room and other 2 amiga in lumber-room...

As I understand Steve we would only use UAE to do the "game logic" emulating the original KO2 engine. At each logic step (20 ms) we supply joystick inputs and get player coordinates outputs. We don't use UAE to emulated the joystick, but do that directly in our own code instead.

Also, the game logic code can be asynchronous with the gfx code. We can interpolate player positions between logic-steps to match the update rate of the PC graphics card thus getting smoother graphics than you normally get with UAE.
You cannot avoid the Google [Bot]
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Stainy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:44 pm

Stainy wrote:Me me me me!! I want in!!

:D :D
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:55 pm

Steve here @ KOBRA I

Basically, YES to everything except :

GingerPete wrote:4)I dont want to say this incase it sort of spirals out of control, but if we are doing all this, changing the artwork adding new control via analog sticks is it not easier to simply re design the entire game from scrath to the same feel as kick off?

That'll be Throw-In then.
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Semtex
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Semtex » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:21 pm

Will it be possible to have the goalies save lobs?

Come to think of it I don't think they've invented a PC powerful enough to cope with that yet. I'll get me coat...
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:07 pm

Steve here @ KOBRA I

Semtex wrote:Will it be possible to have the goalies save lobs?

Come to think of it I don't think they've invented a PC powerful enough to cope with that yet. I'll get me coat...

Some things just aren't possible with the most powerful of computers.. never mind eh?
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Sid
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Sid » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:17 am

gdh82 wrote:Steve here @ KOBRA I

Semtex wrote:Will it be possible to have the goalies save lobs?

Some things just aren't possible with the most powerful of computers.. never mind eh?

Absurd suggestion anyway!! And anyway.. goalies do save lobs sometimes... its not a 100% guarantee that they go in... and we discussed this many times, its one of the features that makes KO2 so fun!
WC2011 #20th position
WC2011 Rodolfo's new arch enemy and Silver Cup dream ender!
WC2011 The KOA's new bowling champion
UKC2009 #1 Silver Cup Winner
UKC2007 organiser
Abyss

Postby Abyss » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:27 am

It goes without saying that if we really want to do this seriously (and by "seriously", I don't mean that we should be doing it like some kind of work - it's a hobby project after all), we need some organisation, if we don't want to join the hunders of team projects that started with enthusiasm and ambition, but are now dead (Sourceforge is full of them).

Steve has, without doubt, the biggest knowledge of KO internals and he should be the technial team leader, followed by Jesper, who has also done some admirable work (he was the one to demyth the "Oracle is a bug caused by copy protection" idea after all) on analysing KO code.

We should decide on the technologies we are going to use, based of course on the talent offerred by the volunteers. Then responsibilities should be assiged to the team members.
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:42 am

Abyss wrote:We should decide on the technologies we are going to use, based of course on the talent offerred by the volunteers. Then responsibilities should be assiged to the team members.

So I'm out then?
-----------------------------
Jørn F.M.
Founding member of FÖKOF (and FAKO).
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Wayne's and Nick's Carreer Ender
Manager of The People's Lockout!
Il portiere è mongoloide!
Abyss

Postby Abyss » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:01 am

Well, your "talents" can be used in any way Mr. Camber sees fit to.

Beware :)

(of course, to create a game, you need much more than programmers).