detecting when the ball leaves the pitch bug!

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderator: Moderators

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

detecting when the ball leaves the pitch bug!

Postby gdh82 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:06 am

Robert Swift wrote:The Amiga awarded Rikki a penalty for this 'foul' that was off the pitch when the ball should have been out of play. I just said to Rikki "Great, we got the ball back, but I hope you don't intend to take this penalty as we were just trying to get the ball back."

Gunther wrote:I once saw a strange goal. You alle know the situation when a foul is made of the pitch and the moment the free kick is taken, it's a throw in for the other team.
Pim's player fouled a player of the opponent behind theri goal line. Now they had to take the free kick, knowing that it would result in an own goal :lol:

Abyss wrote:That's one of the few cases where a Steve intervention is required. These stupid cases of the ball being out of plkay and the players still try to catch it should be fixed.

This problem commonly affects throw-ins which, when taken from off the pitch, immediately lead to the opposition's throw-in! The above quotes also show there can sometimes be more serious consequences :shock:

I wonder if this problem could be behind the corner bug too, where its sometimes taken from the wrong end ?

I've also known the reverse of this problem when my shot hits the post and comes back into play but a goal kick is nevertheless awarded !!! :?

Can anybody add any other situtations to this list ?
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:00 pm

Two bugs there I think.

1. Corner bug. I've seen where the code is going wrong. Basically it's when the ball goes off the top of the pitch for a corner, but the ball rolls back over the line onto the pitch before the players get in position for the cornerkick. Pretty easy to fix.

2. Off pitch foul. A logic problem here. Foul a player and that player gets a free kick at the foul position. If the foul position is off the pitch, then as soon as the free kick taker touches the ball, then he is considered to have kicked the ball out of play.. Hence the throw in/goalkick/corner for the team that committed the foul. The fix I suggest is to reposition the "fould position" to make sure it's on the pitch. Should be a simple extension to the code.
Last edited by Steve Camber on Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer - Ranked somewhere waaaay down the list
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :)
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:10 pm

Steve Camber wrote:Two bugs there I think.

Pretty easy to fix.
Should be a simple extension to the code.

Is that Santa Camber speaking!! 8) Ho ho ho!! Christmas just got better! :lol:

Seriously, thanks for that, Steve. :)

Could I ask about the situations where a throw-in is immediately followed by another throw-in to the opposition (as if the first throw-in is taken off the pitch) even though there's no foul involved ?

And have you come across where the ball comes back off the post remaining in play but a goal kick is still given?
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:20 pm

gdh82 wrote:Could I ask about the situations where a throw-in is immediately followed by another throw-in to the opposition (as if the first throw-in is taken off the pitch) even though there's no foul involved ?

I thought there was always a foul involved when there's a double throw-in. Any replay evidence in video form to disprove this theory would be useful!
--
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:56 pm

There is another bug similar to these ones: sometimes happens that you take a corner kick in top left or top right corner but the CPU miss the corner position and you are forced to the low left or low right corner.
This bug happens ralely, so I think I really difficult to solve this bug.
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:41 pm

Torchiador wrote:There is another bug similar to these ones: sometimes happens that you take a corner kick in top left or top right corner but the CPU miss the corner position and you are forced to the low left or low right corner.
This bug happens ralely, so I think I really difficult to solve this bug.

That is exactly the corner bug I mentioned above!
--

Robert Swift

Postby Robert Swift » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:05 pm

Steve....2 more inputs:

If I select a sub, then get a throw in, I make my substitution then the throw in is immediately retaken by the opposition.

Second, Garry's original question was prompted by the combination of a) Ball goes vertically 'through' the post and stays in play behind the goal... b) It's possible in these circumstances to 'retrieve' the ball and contiinue the game by committing a foul, but this could lead to penalty....despite the fact that the ball is off the pitch and shouldn't be in play anyway!!
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:06 pm

Steve Camber wrote:I thought there was always a foul involved when there's a double throw-in. Any replay evidence in video form to disprove this theory would be useful!

I'll be on to that - a good excuse to play a extra game or three :D

Robert Swift wrote:Garry's original question was prompted by the combination of a) Ball goes vertically 'through' the post and stays in play behind the goal...

And this is very closely related to my calls for better goal detection (gets on his soapbox) but "it wouldn't be kick off anymore" ? :?

SimonB
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby SimonB » Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:44 pm

Robert Swift wrote:If I select a sub, then get a throw in, I make my substitution then the throw in is immediately retaken by the opposition.

I think that happens if the ball comes back on the pitch during the substitution
Birmingham 2011 World Cup: 15th best player :)
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:53 pm

Steve Camber wrote:I thought there was always a foul involved when there's a double throw-in. Any replay evidence in video form to disprove this theory would be useful!

Here's some evidence, Steve...(descriptions included on youtube)

throw-in bug #1 (no foul or sub)

SimonB wrote:
Robert Swift wrote:If I select a sub, then get a throw in, I make my substitution then the throw in is immediately retaken by the opposition.

I think that happens if the ball comes back on the pitch during the substitution

throw-in bug #2 (after sub)

Steve Camber wrote: Off pitch foul. A logic problem here. Foul a player and that player gets a free kick at the foul position. If the foul position is off the pitch, then as soon as the free kick taker touches the ball, then he is considered to have kicked the ball out of play.. Hence the throw in/goalkick/corner for the team that committed the foul. The fix I suggest is to reposition the "fould position" to make sure it's on the pitch. Should be a simple extension to the code.

throw-in bug #3 (foul off the pitch)

Ely
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Ely » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:37 pm

Gary, I reckon you should be crowned World Champion, as you appear to be the only member actually playing the game :P
NewEly - He is here sometimes...................
http://www.wayoftherodent.com
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:54 pm

Quality videos mate! Perfect.

Please bestow upon yourself the title of Official KOA Bug Finder.
--

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:14 pm

Ely wrote:Gary, I reckon you should be crowned World Champion, as you appear to be the only member actually playing the game :P

Think Spyros might have something to say about that! :lol:

Steve Camber wrote:Quality videos mate! Perfect.

Please bestow upon yourself the title of Official KOA Bug Finder.

So I'll gratefully accept Steve's suggestion! 8) :lol: