KO2 Competition Version Wish List

Talk about EVERYTHING related to Kick Off 1 + 2.

Moderators: Rodolfo, Moderators, Rodolfo, Moderators

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Re: KO2 Competition Version Wish List

Postby gdh82 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:58 pm

Came up in the fouling thread...

I must just mention a fantastic jff option imo I think came from Alkis or from one of his tournaments. How about having a ref-less option!!!! No fouls at all are ever awarded. Play this with a walled pitch and you'd have non-stop KO2 action until a goal was scored!!!! Less Kick Off2 and more Kill Off2 :evil: 8) 8) 8)
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
SimonB
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby SimonB » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:38 pm

gdh82 wrote:How about having a ref-less option!!!! No fouls at all are ever awarded. Play this with a walled pitch and you'd have...

... 11 vs 11 Speedball! :lol:
Birmingham 2011 World Cup: 15th best player :)
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:30 pm

SimonB wrote:
gdh82 wrote:How about having a ref-less option!!!! No fouls at all are ever awarded. Play this with a walled pitch and you'd have...

... 11 vs 11 Speedball! :lol:

:lol: :lol:

True.... but gladiator-style KO2 is better!
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

dnielsen

Postby dnielsen » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:40 pm

gdh82 wrote:Came up in the fouling thread...

I must just mention a fantastic jff option imo I think came from Alkis or from one of his tournaments. How about having a ref-less option!!!! No fouls at all are ever awarded. Play this with a walled pitch and you'd have non-stop KO2 action until a goal was scored!!!! Less Kick Off2 and more Kill Off2 :evil: 8) 8) 8)

Haha, that's a great suggestion. Actually, with this suggestion, I can really see the point of a "don't control players who have slided or have been fouled" mechanism!

Or maybe even better, players who have slided or have been fouled would not lie down for a brief period, but stand up much faster! Total carnage.

And yeah, combine it with a the "no shooting feature" as well! Haha, Speedball with KO2 ball control, what's not to like about it!
dnielsen

Postby dnielsen » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:50 pm

Suggestion:

In the KO2CV options, have a "revert to default settings after each game" feature that can be chosen. When this feature is chosen, the KO2CV and normal KO2 options would revert to a default setting that goes along with the particular version of KO2CV (usually a WC version).

Motivation:

The idea is that when two players decide on a "if both players agree setting", they may forget to reset their changes. For instance, if I played with Jon G in the WC and we decided to use Zappa instead of a random referee, we might forget to change back after the game, and then people would have a hard time finding out that the settings on this Amiga are not the default settings anymore. And even if they did find out, they would have a hard time checking everything to find out whatever else Jon G and I changed.

Essentially, this feature would be a "team reset" feature writ large.
dnielsen

Postby dnielsen » Tue May 12, 2009 8:12 am

Suggestion:

Just For Fun option of having keepers parry every shot. That is, they don't hold the ball, and the ball doesn't go through them, they just always parry a shot.

Motivations:

1) To experience KO2 with all the goodies (aftertouch etc.), but with a radically different form of typical attacking approach, as induced by the radically different keeper behaviour. One hope is that this would be quite an interesting and fun modification of the game due to the facilitation of more aggressive finishing and more hectic battles for a deflected ball.

2) As an option for training alertness and proper reactions in parried shot situations that do come up in real tournament games now and then anyway.
Last edited by dnielsen on Tue May 12, 2009 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Tue May 12, 2009 8:33 am

Awesome idea! It's going in.
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :) https://kickoff2.net
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Tue May 12, 2009 6:09 pm

Sounds like fun to me too :) - I like the way these JFF options provide a kind of training mode on various aspects of the great game. 8)

Am I right in thinking that it will be possible to score in this 'always-parry' mode but only where there's clear daylight between keeper and ball ?

Btw what causes keepers to parry in the first place ? I'm guessing the amount of aftertouch has a lot to do with it as well as the power of a shot ? Not sure if this has ever been discussed elsewhere.

Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Wed May 13, 2009 9:11 am

From memory the goalie works like this..

Lets say the keeper has a skill of 90 out of 100.

When the keeper detects the ball in range, the keeper's skill is checked against a random number between 1 and 100. If the number is less than 90 then the ball is successfully caught.

If not, then another random number is picked up to 100. If it is less than 90 then the ball is parried - the ball is bounced away from the goal as if it has hit a wall.

But if this 2nd test fails, then the ball still takes a deflection but generally carries on moving towards the goal.

Dagh's suggestion is to remove that 1st "catch the ball" check. The result will be more goals.
--
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

dnielsen

Postby dnielsen » Wed May 13, 2009 9:56 am

Steve Camber wrote:From memory the goalie works like this..

When the keeper detects the ball in range, the keeper's skill is checked against a random number between 1 and 100. If the number is less than 90 then the ball is successfully caught.

If not, then another random number is picked up to 100. If it is less than 90 then the ball is parried - the ball is bounced away from the goal as if it has hit a wall.

But if this 2nd test fails, then the ball still takes a deflection but generally carries on moving towards the goal.

Dagh's suggestion is to remove that 1st "catch the ball" check. The result will be more goals.

Yes, I also came to think that there is no particular need to remove the "going through" part also. The main idea was just to not have keepers catch the ball. Then a successful deflection OR a "going through" could follow.

Anyway, it's Christmas again!
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Wed May 13, 2009 11:27 am

Steve Camber wrote:Awesome idea! It's going in.

Wooohoo, now Dagh can practice this area of his game and become even more deadly. :lol:
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Wed May 13, 2009 11:45 am

Steve Camber wrote:From memory the goalie works like this..

Thanks, Steve. Seems a while since the forum has had any of these type of dicussions. :)

So are we saying that whether or not the ball is caught/parried/deflected is solely down to random number checks? Only I thought the type of shot could make a parry more likely ? I certainly remember those shots where you pull-back and shoot when close to the goal are regularly parried ?

Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Wed May 13, 2009 2:18 pm

If you get some height on the ball (about 3 feet), you enter parry territory. Otherwise the keeper will just collect the low balls.

The keeper does not know or care what sort of shot was used. Only the ball's position and direction is considered.

That "type of shot" stuff is reserved for modern cheating scripted games!! :yuck:
--