0.0.6 impressions

This forum is dedicated to the new football game Active Soccer (and Throw In) by TheFoxSoft.

Moderators: TheFoxSoft, Moderators

Danne
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Danne » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:42 pm

TheFoxSoft wrote:12-0? :shock:
i don't know which is my record. I guess 5-1 or something about :D

In that 12-0 game I scored 8-0 in the second uppitch half. :)

I still believe that you will beat me. To play against humans is totally another thing and you are after all the KO2 champion! :)
TheFoxSoft

Postby TheFoxSoft » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:54 pm

Danne wrote:
TheFoxSoft wrote:12-0? :shock:
i don't know which is my record. I guess 5-1 or something about :D

In that 12-0 game I scored 8-0 in the second uppitch half. :)

I still believe that you will beat me. To play against humans is totally another thing and you are after all the KO2 champion! :)

we will see it tomorrow :D
Calimero
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Calimero » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:34 pm

12-0 is a very good result! I managed 7-0 once, but mostly it's more like 3-2 :)

I'll be online too tomorrow evening, so I'm hoping to play you guys then! 8)
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:43 am

Finally got hooked up with new greek-sticks. Will start playing soon Gianluca.
-----------------------------
Winner of The Silver Cup 2019
Lifetime Achievement Award 2015
Founder of FÖKOF and FAKO
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Wayne's and Nick's Carreer Ender
The People's Lockout!
Il portiere è mongoloide!
TheFoxSoft

Postby TheFoxSoft » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:51 am

Freshmaker wrote:Finally got hooked up with new greek-sticks. Will start playing soon Gianluca.

cool! :)
Danne
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Danne » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:14 pm

I have tried to score some goals on longshots but find it very difficult. (actually never suceeded in a game)

1) If the keeper would stand 1-2 meters outside the goal when the ball is in the middle of the field I believe that you could make some great goals from long distance. (I have scored some fantastic longshot goals in practice just because the keeper in practice has a position further out. However in games he stands on the line and you cant shoot above him)

2) Isnt the accuracy of the shots and longballs to bad? when testing KO2 and KO 2002 the accuracy seems much better there.
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:59 pm

Ok. First impressions; and remember Gianluca that I've played it before, I'm World Champ ffs, but this is the first time with 0.6b, and the first time vs cpu.

I have not read up on what's been written earlier, so you'll have to excuse me if I repeat what someone else has said.

Played one match 2 days ago, but didn't manage shit. It was just way to "messy". Loaded up KO2002 to get the feel, and it payed off. ;) Loaded up TI again today and played 3 matches. Got severly hammered in all 3, and got some impressions:

The ballcontrol is to weak. I find it almost impossible to control the ball. It slips the players feet. While the Cpu has "perfect" ballcontrol. I actually got really frustrated. It's also very hard to tell wether the ball is in the air or on the ground.

The gameplay is also very "crowded" or "messy". Very difficult to get focus on what's going on and who's actually controlling the ball.

The shooting, however, is very good. When I finally managed an attack and got within shooting-range, the shot curled perfectly around the keeper. Nice.

Also, the many features you've added are great; offside, replays, crowd etc. Didn't like some of the sounds though - header, sliding, ball-bounce etc.

All in all, this can really be great, but I think the starting-level is just to high. It's just to difficult, before you learn it properly, I think.

Will play more, and come back with more. ;)
-----------------------------
Winner of The Silver Cup 2019
Lifetime Achievement Award 2015
Founder of FÖKOF and FAKO
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Wayne's and Nick's Carreer Ender
The People's Lockout!
Il portiere è mongoloide!
TheFoxSoft

Postby TheFoxSoft » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:48 pm

Freshmaker wrote:Played one match 2 days ago, but didn't manage shit. It was just way to "messy". Loaded up KO2002 to get the feel, and it payed off. ;) Loaded up TI again today and played 3 matches. Got severly hammered in all 3, and got some impressions:

yes, i know it's necessary a lot of practice to play against CPU. Moreover the CPU cheating/bug is really irritating and you will lost each collision. Beside the CPU had no reaction time in beta 0.06b

The ballcontrol is to weak. I find it almost impossible to control the ball. It slips the players feet. While the Cpu has "perfect" ballcontrol. I actually got really frustrated.

about ball control, do you think it's too much loosy? I honestly think it's ok, but when you are the developer you are unable to find problems...my opinion is not important form this point of view.

It's also very hard to tell wether the ball is in the air or on the ground.

Yes, Danne had the same problem due the perfect top-view. I'm going to introduce a tilted camera to help people with height problems. However i prefer the default camera, it's only a matter of a practice, i guess.

The gameplay is also very "crowded" or "messy". Very difficult to get focus on what's going on and who's actually controlling the ball.

Yes this is an important problem i count to fix in the next beta.

Also, the many features you've added are great; offside, replays, crowd etc. Didn't like some of the sounds though - header, sliding, ball-bounce etc.

you are right Jorn ;-) header&sliding sounds are only "dummy" ones. I need to find a proper sample...

All in all, this can really be great, but I think the starting-level is just to high. It's just to difficult, before you learn it properly, I think.

this is a good idea, i will set a difficulty level in the next beta then.

Will play more, and come back with more. ;)

I'm working on the 0.06b problems, and some of them are disappeared.
With the fixing of CPU bug ,with the introduction of the CPU reaction time and with the improvement of CPU quality the game plays much better.
What i can suggest is to play the practice, you can improve your ball control and skills. I noticed KO2002 has more "long" tactics, this means you have more time to think and more open space. In TI as soon as you have the ball, at least 2 or 3 defenders are tryng to steal the ball. At the beginning can be frustrating but you could love it with some practice.
I would like to thank you for your testing and critics, i sometimes can't see the game flaws. Your points are all good, and i would like to fix all of them, especially the "messy" gameplay.
:wink:
Danne
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Danne » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:22 pm

Good to have people with fresh and initial impressions.

good points too.
JZ

Postby JZ » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:06 pm

One thing I've forgot to mention, which is probably only really noticable in 2 player games:

Trapping the ball- its perhaps too easy to keep hold of the ball by trapping it, as the opponent can very rarely steal the ball.
While this is fun to hold the ball in the corner in the last minute of a close match to annoy your opponent :twisted: , I think it should be easier to get the ball off a player while he is trapping it: especially when you attempt to steal from 'face on'- maybe it is ok if the player trapping it has his back to the stealer.
TheFoxSoft

Postby TheFoxSoft » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:17 pm

JZ wrote:One thing I've forgot to mention, which is probably only really noticable in 2 player games:

Trapping the ball- its perhaps too easy to keep hold of the ball by trapping it, as the opponent can very rarely steal the ball.
While this is fun to hold the ball in the corner in the last minute of a close match to annoy your opponent :twisted: , I think it should be easier to get the ball off a player while he is trapping it: especially when you attempt to steal from 'face on'- maybe it is ok if the player trapping it has his back to the stealer.

yes, this is a problem i will fix soon :wink:
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:27 am

I don't know what kept me so long, but I played my first matches of this version today (6 overall). I won't repeat how impressed I am with the game's physics and 'feeling' because I've said so before. So moving along to the gameplay:
I'm almost too embarrassed to post my scores... Feeling cocky, I started right away with a friendly match, and I got hammered 1-11! :lolo: I play with:
-2x5 minutes
-640x480 resolution
-No offsides
-Fixed shot power

I then spent some time on Practice mode, and only lost 1-3 in the second match. My best result overall was a 3-3 draw.
My biggest problems have already been mentioned: I can't get possesion of the ball without a tackle. Meanwhile, the computer doesn't seem to have the same problem as it keeps overpowering me by getting in front of my player and taking the ball. I don't think I ever had possesion for more than a second, expect for when I was running on straight next to the throw in line, with an opponent glued on my back, waiting for me to make the slightest turn so that he'd get the ball.
Second problem are the headers; I'm looking forward to the tilted camera.
Before reading this thread, I wanted to post "the game is too difficult, do something to change it" but after reading about scores such as 12-0 I realized I must be doing something wrong. Mind you, I will never use analogue shot power (other than for testing purposes), I've always hated that in football games.
Gianluca, I only wish you won't make the same mistake Steve did with Kick Off 2002. People kept saying to him that it's too easy to score with this goal, and it's too easy to score with that goal, in the end he made the keepers save 90% of the shots and 85+ keepers became almost impossible to beat by a 80- shooter.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:05 am

I tried the tilted camera view and the headers are much easier... but as I'm sure you know, there's no scanner or scoreline in that view.
One more thing: fixed shot does not work in the first half unless you choose it for the computer as well, and it doesn't work for the second half at all! Even if you press F6 and "Fixed shot" appears, it does not work. Since I'm the first one who mentions such an obvious bug, I guess I'm the only one who likes fixed shot power. Sorry, for me fixed shot power = Kick Off, analogue = Match Day II.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November