0.0.6 impressions

This forum is dedicated to the new football game Active Soccer (and Throw In) by TheFoxSoft.

Moderators: TheFoxSoft, Moderators, TheFoxSoft, Moderators

manicx
Site Admin
Site Admin

0.0.6 impressions

Postby manicx » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:06 pm

Okay here it goes.

For a start, I found that the keepers have a big weakness. Even though they are very good at diagonal shots, they are not as good in vertical shots. For example, I noticed that on vertical shots that go say 1 meter to the left or the right, the keeper make a jump over his vertical axis (that is just just a vertical jump) and concedes the goal. I didn't like this behaviour. The CPU players, with the really fast reaction, managed to score only such goals against me. Unfortunately, I could do nothing. They were just simple shots with no aftertouch and everything was going in. It reminded me of the keepers in Return to Europe.

Second objection about the keepers, is the speed in which they reach the penalty box line and grab the ball. I had about 15 matches and in some later games I managed to make some wonderful passes behind the defence of the CPU and towards my attackers. Unfortunately, the keeper was always on the penalty box line and grabbed the ball. In real life, yes, this can be happening, but in a game as fast as KO2 or TI, you can't have it. It spoils the fun. I mean, some of the passes were very beautiful and suddenly the keeper was in the line. No time to react with my attackers. I was very annoyed in a couple of cases.

Third, is that the CPU makes too many passes during the game. This has to do with AI, but once again, in a game like TI or KO2, it is difficult to follow. Human Vs Human is another story but with a CPU making so many passes, it was hard to follow. I think that the CPU game should become a liiiiiitle bit more predictable.

Fourth is that in KO2, I can steal the ball from the CPU opponent without making a tackle. I found it difficult to walk in front of a CPU player in TI and do the same. For example, in KO2, after a free kick from the keeper, I tend to get the ball without a header but this was impossible to do when the ball was touching the ground in TI. The CPU was always there and whatever I did I had no luck. 99% of the times after the free kick, I couldn't get the ball unless I was jumping for the header or was making a tackle. I suppose Gianluca knows what I am saying since he is a guru in KO2.

Fifth is that at some point without making a tackle, the CPU took a penalty! I just run over the player, didn'y press the button and there it was. I am not sure if this happened intentionally, but it can be unfair.

Sorry for the 5 points I make here, but I have another 30 points that are in favour of Gianluca's work. :)
Danne
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Re: 0.0.6 impressions

Postby Danne » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:41 pm

I gotta say that I really like this beta.

+ The keeper which position now is far less predictable.
+ Shooting system (is it changed or is it just me who finally are used to it?)
+ New CPU(Now much smoother and I like the way he dribbles)

About what manicx says. I agree about everything except for that the keeper should go out. I think this give you more alternatives and it is fun to sometimes have the possabilkity to lob in the ball over the keeper from 30 meters. I have made many many great passes behind the defence of the CPU and scored. If the keeper can catch the ball then it is not a good pass according to me.. :)

I just as manicx find the goalie jumping from very short range low shots irritating. and also agrees that they make to many short passes. I wanna see crosses and longballs much more frequently. The CPU also shoots rather similar each time. I wanna see more differewnt kind of goals. I also cant notice any CPU reaction time.

The most irritating is ordinary freekicks and throw ins. I need some space......
TheFoxSoft

Postby TheFoxSoft » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:58 pm

manicx wrote:Okay here it goes.

For a start, I found that the keepers have a big weakness. Even though they are very good at diagonal shots, they are not as good in vertical shots. For example, I noticed that on vertical shots that go say 1 meter to the left or the right, the keeper make a jump over his vertical axis (that is just just a vertical jump) and concedes the goal. I didn't like this behaviour. The CPU players, with the really fast reaction, managed to score only such goals against me. Unfortunately, I could do nothing. They were just simple shots with no aftertouch and everything was going in. It reminded me of the keepers in Return to Europe.

i did it intentionally, i wanted to have more various goals but i must admit i exxagerated. They are easy improvable since i have only to change 1 or 2 constants in the code.

Second objection about the keepers, is the speed in which they reach the penalty box line and grab the ball. I had about 15 matches and in some later games I managed to make some wonderful passes behind the defence of the CPU and towards my attackers. Unfortunately, the keeper was always on the penalty box line and grabbed the ball. In real life, yes, this can be happening, but in a game as fast as KO2 or TI, you can't have it. It spoils the fun. I mean, some of the passes were very beautiful and suddenly the keeper was in the line. No time to react with my attackers. I was very annoyed in a couple of cases.

It spoils the fun, this is true. On the other hand i would like to have keepers more "human" and not attached to the goal line. I think the main problem is the speed of the keeper too fast! Do you think a slower speed could help or do you think the keeper should behave exactly like in KO2 (he shouldn't understand the 1vs1 situations).

Third, is that the CPU makes too many passes during the game. This has to do with AI, but once again, in a game like TI or KO2, it is difficult to follow. Human Vs Human is another story but with a CPU making so many passes, it was hard to follow. I think that the CPU game should become a liiiiiitle bit more predictable.

agreed :wink:

Fourth is that in KO2, I can steal the ball from the CPU opponent without making a tackle. I found it difficult to walk in front of a CPU player in TI and do the same. For example, in KO2, after a free kick from the keeper, I tend to get the ball without a header but this was impossible to do when the ball was touching the ground in TI. The CPU was always there and whatever I did I had no luck. 99% of the times after the free kick, I couldn't get the ball unless I was jumping for the header or was making a tackle. I suppose Gianluca knows what I am saying since he is a guru in KO2.

Yes i know, the truth is that CPU cheats :evil: and will always win tackles for a bad programming reason. I'm pretty sure as soon as i exclude this cheat (i will do it really soon) this problem will disappear. :)

Fifth is that at some point without making a tackle, the CPU took a penalty! I just run over the player, didn'y press the button and there it was. I am not sure if this happened intentionally, but it can be unfair.

in TI you can make fouls even pushing opponent players. This happen really rarely (about 1 time in 3 matches). I think they could give some kind of fun since it happens it's not frequently. But if annoy you i can leave this out.

Sorry for the 5 points I make here, but I have another 30 points that are in favour of Gianluca's work. :)

no problem at all, i want critics! :D
Thanks for your excellent work
TheFoxSoft

Postby TheFoxSoft » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:10 pm

Danne wrote:I gotta say that I really like this beta.

+ The keeper which position now is far less predictable.
+ Shooting system (is it changed or is it just me who finally are used to it?)
+ New CPU(Now much smoother and I like the way he dribbles)

shooting system is the same :D

About what manicx says. I agree about everything except for that the keeper should go out. I think this give you more alternatives and it is fun to sometimes have the possabilkity to lob in the ball over the keeper from 30 meters. I have made many many great passes behind the defence of the CPU and scored. If the keeper can catch the ball then it is not a good pass according to me.. :)

I think you are both right. I think the problem is the keeper that is too much fast.

I also cant notice any CPU reaction time.

yes this time is there. It is 75 millisecs. You can notice raction time when you perform a dribblingl.
Remember that this is the highest level of difficult.

The most irritating is ordinary freekicks and throw ins. I need some space......

adding to my to do list
TheFoxSoft

Postby TheFoxSoft » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:34 am

i realized i have a big problem here...

About what manicx says. I agree about everything except for that the keeper should go out. I think this give you more alternatives and it is fun to sometimes have the possabilkity to lob in the ball over the keeper from 30 meters. I have made many many great passes behind the defence of the CPU and scored. If the keeper can catch the ball then it is not a good pass according to me.. Smile

like i said the keeper is much improvable form this point of view BUT there is a huge problem. Nikos usually playing Throw In with the FIXED shot and this is a limitation, at least in TI. Performing accurating passings is almost impossible beacuse the keeper will run toward the ball.
What should i do?Any solution?I really don't have a clue to fix this.
However i want to let you know that i'm not fully satisfied with the SELECTABLE shoting power and i will make it more sensitive. I hoipe this helps...
manicx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby manicx » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:46 am

I don't think I played with the Fixed shot Gianluca. I have to check again, but I think I am using selectable. I have a few videos that will upload tonight that you can see the keeper actually catching the ball outside the box. I have a couple of videos.

BTW, I also agree with Danne about the Throw ins and Free Kicks. The opponents come very close to you and you can't play. Throw in may be nice if you can apply height to the ball as well.
TheFoxSoft

Postby TheFoxSoft » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:53 am

manicx wrote:I don't think I played with the Fixed shot Gianluca. I have to check again, but I think I am using selectable. I have a few videos that will upload tonight that you can see the keeper actually catching the ball outside the box. I have a couple of videos.

ok :wink:

BTW, I also agree with Danne about the Throw ins and Free Kicks. The opponents come very close to you and you can't play. Throw in may be nice if you can apply height to the ball as well.

yes, i was thinking about it. It is already in my to do list
Danne
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Danne » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:50 pm

TheFoxSoft wrote:
I also cant notice any CPU reaction time.

yes this time is there. It is 75 millisecs. You can notice raction time when you perform a dribblingl.
Remember that this is the highest level of difficult.

75 ms! Not strange that I couldnt notice it then. It is impossible for a human to react that fast. The reaction time for us in different situations in TI is probably around 500ms.

I think the cpu reaction time atleast should be 300-400 ms. Now the cpu reaction time is like a robot and there is no point in dribbling.

btw. I think the sensitivity for the power of shots is perfect!
TheFoxSoft

Postby TheFoxSoft » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:04 pm

i'm working on reaction time. You should keep in mind that with an high reaction time CPU will miss the ball the most of the time. We humans have an high reaction time but we are able to build and predict the ball trajectory.
Yesterday i improved the reaction time routine and i tried a delay of 200ms (1/5 of sec) with good results.
Bytheway i think human response is about 150-250ms
Danne
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Danne » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:13 pm

TheFoxSoft wrote:i'm working on reaction time. You should keep in mind that with an high reaction time CPU will miss the ball the most of the time. We humans have an high reaction time but we are able to build and predict the ball trajectory.
Yesterday i improved the reaction time routine and i tried a delay of 200ms (1/5 of sec) with good results.
Bytheway i think human response is about 150-250ms

Will be intresting to test the 200 ms reactiontime. :)
Calimero
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Calimero » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:10 pm

Like Danne I also think the shooting system is very good now.
You say it didn't change, but I can make better shots now!
I can shoots balls high into the goals and on the crossbar now, where normally I would put them far over in beta 0.05.

About reaction time: it seems like a good idea to test which amount of reaction time is generally best for the CPU. When you have determined the appropriate range, you can make it variable by linking it to a one of the player skills. In that way you can have CPU players that react fast or slow, just like in real life.
TheFoxSoft

Postby TheFoxSoft » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:58 pm

Calimero wrote:Like Danne I also think the shooting system is very good now.
You say it didn't change, but I can make better shots now!
I can shoots balls high into the goals and on the crossbar now, where normally I would put them far over in beta 0.05.

mhhhhmmm.....maybe i changed something. I can't remember, i will check it.

About reaction time: it seems like a good idea to test which amount of reaction time is generally best for the CPU. When you have determined the appropriate range, you can make it variable by linking it to a one of the player skills. In that way you can have CPU players that react fast or slow, just like in real life.

yes it's a good idea and this exactly what i had in mind. There are some technical problems (basically speed problems in calculating 11 different reaction times) but i think i could find an optimised algorithm.
Danne
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Danne » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:35 pm

Calimero wrote:About reaction time: it seems like a good idea to test which amount of reaction time is generally best for the CPU. When you have determined the appropriate range, you can make it variable by linking it to a one of the player skills. In that way you can have CPU players that react fast or slow, just like in real life.

very good idea!