Keeping resources in memory

This forum is dedicated to the new football game Active Soccer (and Throw In) by TheFoxSoft.

Moderators: TheFoxSoft, Moderators

Calimero
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Keeping resources in memory

Postby Calimero » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:18 pm

Gianluca, is it possible to detect how much memory is available and then decide to keep some resources, like pitch and player graphics and sound effects in memory between matches?
I don't think the loading time is too long, but maybe it could be made even shorter. Knowing that future additions will come, like the new crowd graphics and in-game menus, it may be wise to examine this option.
TheFoxSoft

Re: Keeping resources in memory

Postby TheFoxSoft » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:56 pm

Calimero wrote:Gianluca, is it possible to detect how much memory is available and then decide to keep some resources, like pitch and player graphics and sound effects in memory between matches?
I don't think the loading time is too long, but maybe it could be made even shorter. Knowing that future additions will come, like the new crowd graphics and in-game menus, it may be wise to examine this option.

arrrgg, this is a difficult question. I have to solve this problem. The bottleneck is the players loading time. Blitz3d is so slow in linking different animations. And if i want to keep different skin, boot, hair for each player the game should load 22 player models.
On the other hand to speed up the loading time you could disable the multi model players.
Calimero
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Calimero » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:21 pm

Thanks for your answer, Gianluca. There's no need to fix anything here, I was just wondering if it was possible.

If it would have been real easy to do or if you already did something like this, I would have an idea for some cool feature in the main menu:
a sort of screensaver or miniature display function that shows the available replays on disk :)

I guess that's a very low priority nice-to-have option for a version in a future far far away :D
TheFoxSoft

Postby TheFoxSoft » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:27 pm

Calimero wrote:Thanks for your answer, Gianluca. There's no need to fix anything here, I was just wondering if it was possible.

If it would have been real easy to do or if you already did something like this, I would have an idea for some cool feature in the main menu:
a sort of screensaver or miniature display function that shows the available replays on disk :)

I guess that's a very low priority nice-to-have option for a version in a future far far away :D

this is a do-able feature :wink:
TheFoxSoft

Re: Keeping resources in memory

Postby TheFoxSoft » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:20 pm

Calimero wrote:Gianluca, is it possible to detect how much memory is available and then decide to keep some resources, like pitch and player graphics and sound effects in memory between matches?

just to inform you i'm working on speeding up the loading time. Maybe i can reduce the loading time, i hope to load a match in 15-20secs. This could be an important achievement, slow loadings are stressfull in my opinion.
Calimero
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Calimero » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:46 am

I made my original remark because I thought of some Amiga games that detected if you had extra memory. In that case you didn't have to swap the disks, so I guess they kept some resources in memory to reduce load times. I hope it's possible for TI to do something similar, but apparently you are already on the case :)