New KOA Landing Page

Kick Off Association talk + website Updates, like or dislike

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Re: New KOA Landing Page

Postby Tripod » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:47 am

I'd like others to weigh in, too. Definitely, the pitch background image is nice, the KOA logo could be a bit smaller, I think, plus maybe it'd be nice to have a few player sprites in there somewhere... An alternative idea that comes to mind is to design the landing page in the style of the KO2 main menu, that would make it totally obvious, too, what the site is about.
http://www.atarimania.com/st/screens/ki ... p_90_2.gif
WC Performances 2003: 28/31 - 2004: 14/43 - 2005: 17/63 - 2006: 31/50 - 2008: 12/41 - 2009: 14/34 - 2010: 24/46
Danny D
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Danny D » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:37 am

I agree with the player sprites. I also think we should take the perspective of a random visitor, and explain what kick off 2 is etc..

Using the ko2 game menu as the website landing page is a brilliant idea! reminds me of http://www.chiptune.com/?again=yes

It will take a considerable amount of work but when complete it would be amazing. However even as good as it is I think we should focus on getting a site up this week. Once done we could then start on the ko2 menu landing page. I might even try this myself and have a couple of other ideas to use this with.
"We are now on the threshold of a newer movement, with a newer hope and a new inspiration."
James Larkin
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:02 pm

Right what happened to the columns tho and where did the 'World Champion' bit go?

aLso I thought we could grab data from the KOASI and have a table showing top ten players in the same column as the 'winners' display?

I have already started on new images, mainly taken from KO2 and Player Manager but zoomed in and stuff, I will explain when I upload them.
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:06 pm

I dunno about the landing page being a KO2 Menu, the concept is a nice idea but in reality would it work?
I thought the landing was more about information, showing who the champions are and giving people links to the forums?
If it was just a menu we would lose quite a lot of chances to display info up front - which is kinda what the plan was with having the Champions and top players listed...juts a thought tho, like I say the concept is nice.

the fact here is that, although I hardly ever use it, the landing page is the most 'hit' page in the KOA by new visitors. Most will probably get there by accident but for the ones who are there to find out more we need to get them info straight away so they know they are in the right place and not bounce off somewhere else and eventually end up playing Sensible soccer....

I want the Forum to be the first option, I want it to be in their face so they know its there and they will go to it...if you see what I mean.

In reality the KOASI is out of date, and whislt valuable to us all, to a newbie it won't actually mean much.

The WIKI is pointless to me, always has been as its always out of date and too much hassle to update.

the Forums are where the money is...or was....or maybe never was....
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Danny D
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Danny D » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:24 pm

durban wrote:Right what happened to the columns tho and where did the 'World Champion' bit go?

aLso I thought we could grab data from the KOASI and have a table showing top ten players in the same column as the 'winners' display?

I have already started on new images, mainly taken from KO2 and Player Manager but zoomed in and stuff, I will explain when I upload them.

ignore those missing columns, it's a prototype ffs :) The pitch background is there in the source should you wish to use it.
"We are now on the threshold of a newer movement, with a newer hope and a new inspiration."
James Larkin
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Tripod » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:23 pm

durban wrote:If it was just a menu we would lose quite a lot of chances to display info up front - which is kinda what the plan was with having the Champions and top players listed...juts a thought tho, like I say the concept is nice.

I was thinking of using your boxes and descriptions under the menu headers... I would do a quick mock up if I managed to get my old PSP 4 (from 1999 or so) to work on my new PC, the only graphics editor I ever learned to use. So it wouldn't need to totally look like the KO2 main menu, just enough to immediately remind people of it.

I want the Forum to be the first option, I want it to be in their face so they know its there and they will go to it...if you see what I mean.

I agree - so make that box bigger or stand out somehow. Ok, that goes against the menu idea really, unless somebody more creative comes up with an idea. Maybe we could even have the latest post(s) automatically displayed on the homepage?
WC Performances 2003: 28/31 - 2004: 14/43 - 2005: 17/63 - 2006: 31/50 - 2008: 12/41 - 2009: 14/34 - 2010: 24/46
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:51 pm

I was going to do the posts, or the latest 3 thats simple but where to put them is difficult....

As I mentioned I put it live simply because I felt it was better new, but It was just a demo really.

Anyways, I have updated the pics for you, or some of them...they feel more koa now I guess? are they better? Worse?
Danny D
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Danny D » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:15 pm

durban wrote:I was going to do the posts, or the latest 3 thats simple but where to put them is difficult....

As I mentioned I put it live simply because I felt it was better new, but It was just a demo really.

Anyways, I have updated the pics for you, or some of them...they feel more koa now I guess? are they better? Worse?

The new pics are much better!

You are right, get something up there to replace the old one and then perfect it.
James Larkin
SimonB
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby SimonB » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:43 am

The picture updates are perfect Durbs!
Birmingham 2011 World Cup: 15th best player :)
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:27 am

Thanks fellas, I am working on the pictures again, they aint perfect enough just yet ;)

I have a few ideas in my head, my OCD is kicking in!
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:29 am

Oh and when I get time I will remove the Popular posts part of the page, its useless, I will probably add a link to latest posts or something, and make it a lot smaller than it is.

Gallery may go, not sure, its not really serving a purpose at the moment, maybe we could have a gallery link but not sure.

However I want to make the 'World Cup Winners' a bit neater, and add a top 10 players list once the KOASI is updated, I may just add it manually for now as a placeholder.

But may not get a chance til the weekend now :(
Danny D
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Danny D » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:20 am

Good work Sir. I still think we need the pitch as a background. You know we need it!
James Larkin
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:38 pm

Meh I hate backgrounds on webpages, especially fixed ones..
I like repeatable ones...but most of all I like NO background...the problem I have with backgrounds is that when you resize the page no matter what you think of the background image it will look different, I hate things looking different on different screens...

I am also colour blind, green things make my eyes hurt especially on mobile devices....so there you go, I have a REAL reason not to like a green pitch as a background.