Another newbie

This forum is dedicated to the original version of Player Manager

Moderator: Moderators

neilh
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Another newbie

Postby neilh » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:14 am

I am having two probs with my set up that is currently stopping me from playering player manager (and it is killing me!)

The first prob relates to my controller. In my Control Panel > ... > Game Controllers window it appears as "2 axis 10 button joystick". Clicking properties indicates to me everything is operation.

My emulator is InstallWinUAE1000.exe as per the http://www.ko-gathering.com/downloads/ site.

Under the Game and I/O Ports tab my gamepad appears as "2 axis 10 button joystick" and defaults to "Amiga Joystick/Mouse Port 1"

Under the Input tab the default is "Compatibility Mode"

Starting under these conditions with everything else as per the KO2 set up instuctions on the http://www.ko-gathering.com/downloads/ site leads to the mouse pad on my laptop working to control the cursor...but no response from my game pad.

Having tinkered I have been able to get the game pad to move the cursor in two ways but neither have meant full control.

1) Swapping ports to "Amiga Joystick/Mouse Port 0" means I am able to move the cursor a fraction...with it returning to the start position upon release

2) By changing "Compatibility Mode" to "Configuration #1"...and setting the X-axis to "Mouse Horizontal" and the Y-axis to "Mouse Vertical" (again using "Amiga Joystick/Mouse Port 0") the game pad works partially - each time I hit left it moves one increment to the left and so on.

I would love to sort this one out...

My second issue is that I have been unable to successfully create a floppy that I can safe a game to - very annoying watching the Player Manager environment configure itself only to have to abandon at the first save.

I have created an empty floppy as per the KO2 set up instructions, I then use End-F1 to switch playerman.adf for Empty.adf but I either get a disk error or nothing happens at all.

Again any suggestions are greatly appreciated...

On something else entirely - why is performance so poor if I go full screen on my laptop? It is not a show stopper as per above just interested.

Cheers

Bleuger
manicx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby manicx » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:47 pm

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Regarding the first problem.

-When in the winUAE INPUT configuration, make sure you select Configuration #1

-Your joystick should be listed on the right drop down menu. Select it.

-winUAE will automatically get some settings but you can always verify that axis X is your joystick's X and so on. Usually the only alterations you have to do is regarding the fire buttons.

If you want, I can provide some screenshots of my configuration.

Regarding the second issue, there have been issues with that. I am sure that there are people who have a disk already and may share.

Regarding full screen and the laptop, it is not a problem with the laptop. It's a problem with the LCD screen. Believe it or not it is. Usually, to get winUAE work properly on LCDs, you need one that can display a vertical sync of 50Hz. Most low-mid priced LCDs display at syncs >56Hz.

This causes a problem. There are two ways to sort this out:

a) use winFellow. Recently the project has been resurrected and has been converted slightly to C++ from ASM. Works like a dream.

b) Activate the VSync tickbox in the Display settings. In the bottom of the screen, there is a slide bar called FPS Adj. You can alter that but not too much since sound can get out of Sync. Even by >4 frames from the standatd 50 the sound can get out of sync. In my config I get nearly 100% speed with the bar being at 53 and the sound sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiightly out of sync. I think though that it depends from your refresh rate and your config. If your screen supports 60Hz, set the screen refresh to 60Hz and try then.
neilh
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby neilh » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:17 am

Thanks for the thoughts -

* I would grealty appreciate some screen snaps. I though I'd tried everything! In particular I am interested in the fact that my fire button default to Autofire "yes". I remember Autofire causing problems if on when playing kick off all those years ago

* Any one with a disk they can share...it would be greatly appreciate

* Off to play with the sync settings...

Thanks

Neil
manicx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby manicx » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:59 pm

There you are:

Input Settings:

Game & I/O Ports Settings:

Don't ask me why it is Joy 2 in the above image. This is what I tried at first and worked like a dream. I am using an Amiga 4-player adaptor with the PPJoy drivers.
neilh
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby neilh » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:46 am

I think my problem maybe that I cannot get Autofire to switch off. I seem to remember kick off screwed up with autofire on.

How do you toggle the autofire column???
manicx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby manicx » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:23 am

Just click on top of the 'no' or 'yes' as you see it in the menu. Although it is simple, users usually search for buttons and stuff.