Is there any way to edit the database in PM?

This forum is dedicated to the original version of Player Manager

Moderator: Moderators

magnificus
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby magnificus » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:24 pm

Vag wrote:
Steve Camber wrote:Just try to avoid exceeding the existing text size limit :)

In fact, there is a way to exceed the limits. Generally, it depends on the game but in most cases you will need to find pointers. These are values that point to the beginning of a text string. If you move the text inside the rom, you have to change the pointer value accordingly. I found pointers in Kick off 2 (not by calculating them though, by experience), so it may be possible to do it in Player manager as well.

If you really want to do hack Player Manager, you better read my tutorial about Kick off 2 rom hacking, it will help you.

Thank you. I'll take a look at it.
magnificus
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby magnificus » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:27 pm

Steve Camber wrote:In KO2 the pointers to the text strings get calculated at run time, so you can change the position of the separating 0 bytes (i.e. use long/shorter words), as long as the overall text string table doesnt grow and overflow into areas where it doesnt belong ;)

I used shorter words, but sometimes it seems that I didn't know what I had write. Anyway I think I put any phrase longer thant the overall text string and all the menus and places where there was text, became changed.
Vag

Postby Vag » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:19 pm

Steve Camber wrote:In KO2 the pointers to the text strings get calculated at run time, so you can change the position of the separating 0 bytes (i.e. use long/shorter words), as long as the overall text string table doesnt grow and overflow into areas where it doesnt belong ;)

Yes, but not with all strings. If I remember correctly, it works with the players and the referrees and maybe some other texts. It doesn't work with the in game strings (like "THROW IN", "FOUL", etc.). These pointers weren't very hard to find, for an experienced rom hacker at least. Try the following: Get the last value of the offset of the beginning of the string. Search for this value upwards. Add one to it and play the game to see what happens... that's how I found them and I didn't need to find all of them. There is a way to calculate them though (if you need them all).
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:42 am

Yes, the text that appears at the bottom of the screen during the game is kept in a different string table, and the pointers are fixed there.
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer - Ranked somewhere waaaay down the list
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :)