New rule proposal: Get rid of penalty kicks

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderators: Rodolfo, Moderators, Rodolfo, Moderators

Do you agree to play additional extra times instead of penalties?

I agree, let's do this.
40%
I disagree, let's leave things as they are.
52%
I don't care either way.
8%

Total votes: 25
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Re: New rule proposal: Get rid of penalty kicks

Postby Torchiador » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:54 pm

Playing one half, the player who has the first kick off is advantaged. . with two halves in the second half the opponent will have for sure a chance to respond the initial KO.
In real soccer the silver goal could work because Kick Off Routines don't work. Unlike Kick Off 2.

I wouldn't remove penalty kicks. I would rather look at the behaviour of the goalkeeper during penalty kicks. they seem transparent. if they would intercept (block or deflect) all the shoots that they touch (very often we see the Fisher name touching the ball in the left corner of the screen), I'm quite sure that penalty kicks would be much more faster and more entertaining as they are now.
So, rather than to remove the penalty kicks (which they belong to real soccer and to the original game), I would change the behaviour of the goalkeeper in penalty kicks.
Not to mention the World Cup Copenhagen semi final between Fabio and Dagh.
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:06 am

By the way:

Alkis21 wrote:During the last WC in Milan, several people complained about the penalty kicks process that decided tied matches.

Alki, please, define "several people"
As far as know in Milan just only 5 games ended up with penalty kicks (which is a record, btw the average is 3 per world cup) in which you were involved two times this year. So, basically, every time you complained with yourself about the penalty kicks, they shouldn't be counted among the "several people" you counted :)
On the other side I know people who was very happy about penalty Kicks. I remember Alessandro uncorking a bottle of champagne winning Jacob 4-2. the same was Lorenzo C beating you 4-1.
Well, I remember also Troglos beating you in Rickmansworth, he was in ecstasies...
manicx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby manicx » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:16 am

Penalty kicks are rare. And also, I believe that it gives the chance to an average player having a good match beat a good player having average match. This is not bad. To be honest, leave it as it is. Alternative, we can have an away goal rule (since we have 50/50 teams) and leave the penalties in the rare occasion we have the same score in both matches.
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:11 pm

I had at least 1 match concluded by penalties inn Milan. And I have to admit I didn't like it at all .
-----------------------------
Silver Cup 2019, LAA 2015, reigning Scandinavian Champ
Founder of FÖKOF, FAKO and The People's Lockout!
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
Il portiere è mongoloide!
http://www.yearnlydom.rocks
I'm a Norwegian boy, I make rock music
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:54 pm

Definition of several people = 4. I'm not going to name them if they don't want to come forward, but I know you trust me not to make this up.

It's not like it's a huge issue for me in any case. I find them boring and I'd hate to see a final decided that way, but as others have said they are rare. My main problem is that if they stay, I'll be the one again on site who has to answer (insert gay voice) "but why can't we just play a third gaaaame? ".
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:40 pm

please don't get me wrong, I think that in KO2 penalties are often boring because basically who is defending have got VERY few chances to deny a goal so, very often penalty goes to extra penalty shot. With cousin many years ago we went very deep in the score spmething 32-31!
In our specific case (Kick Off 2), I do think that the main problem is the weakness of goalkeeper during the penalty kicks.
Often the goalkeeper doesn't dive even if we give a direction with joystick, he stays still in the middle like a traffic light. and very often the ball pass through the goalkeeper like he is transparent and they don't save the day even when the ball seems to be very reachable for them, specially considering the dive stop they are able to perform in non penalty situation.

So in my opinion, to have both sides (penalty short and entertaining) I think that tweaking a bit the behaviour of the goalkeeper (during penalty kicks) could be a good compromise.
For example: you know, in the bottom left corner you see who is the last one who touched the ball.
In penalty kicks, although the ball pass through the goalkeeper, you see his name (Fisher) in the bottom left corner.
If Fisher would deny the goal every time we see his name there, I do think that penalties would be waaay to short and entertaining.

I'm on this side because in real world soccer, extra - extra time don't exist. instead the penalty kicks are as old as the soccer game itself.
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:12 pm

I would NOT accept ANY tweaking on Goalie's behaviour. If we do that, we may just as well implement Trapfix and stop the Goalie Going behind the line.

We either play extra Extra Time, maybe including Silver or Golden Goal, or we go for penalties.
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:18 pm

I would go for extra Extra Time because I think penalties has nothing to do with the best player winning. I don't enjoy penalties either I'm losing or winning. I would rather be playing and losing.
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
Abyss

Postby Abyss » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:19 pm

What the ex-ex-ex KOA's best looker said.
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:08 pm

:lol:
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:41 pm

It is clear I know from where you are coming from, Jorn, and of course I would agree for the same reasoning. but I wouldn't lump things together without discrimination. Please focus a bit on this thing: in Kick Off 2, the only moment you can control the goalkeeper movements is penalty kick. in this, the original gameplay is very weak: goalkeepers are nearly useless, specially if your opponent kick a flat ground penalty, goalkeeper has got 0% chance to save it. Just a pity. the only time you can say to your goalkeeper what to do and have a weight on the destiny, this is simply useless. Such a shame!
Another interest thing is also the way in KO2 penalty kicks are implemented. they basically twist the KO2 kicking algorithm in which the high of the kick depends on how long you hold down the fire button. the opposite of Kick Off 2. Not to mention the "Exciting Soccer" aiming arrow (which I love very much). basically the whole penalty kicks compartment is a mini game in the game with a complete different kick off 2 gameplay.
I wouldn't be so conservative in this specific situation. at least I'd let to test it and see what happens.
Logos

Postby Logos » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:51 pm

Thor mentioned in his world cup story that we both wanted to play another extra time and we did ask Alkis if we could do this. We felt that penalties were such a bizarre way to conclude such an epic battle. You spend 15 minutes pitting your wits and skills against each other and then suddenly stop doing that and decide to roll the dice. The feeling after a penalty shootout is hollow and unfulfilling for both the winner and loser.

Personally, I would be content and fulfilled winning or losing playing our beloved KO2 in extra, extra time rather than playing the lottery.
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:48 pm

Andy, I understand the feeling, but, is it not the same thing that happen in real soccer? many real world cup was decided by penalty kicks.
To stay calm in the middle of the storm is skill. a skill needed in real life and a skill required at the penalty kicks. indisputable champions like Roberto Baggio fallen under such a pressure (Pasadena stadium at USA'94). many other prevailed with the smile on their face, like Shevchenko in uefa champions league.
it is bizarre, but is still soccer. and in this, kick off 2 represents a very good counter digital part.
goalkeeper apart