Proposal to modify the KOASI

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderator: Moderators

Rodolfo
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Proposal to modify the KOASI

Postby Rodolfo » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:25 pm

I believe that WC minor competitions should count as a tournament win for the champion.

After all, for example the Silver Cup is a closed competition, separate from the rest, and it would be only fair considering it a tournament on its own right. Therefore, the champion deserves a tournament victory recognition.

Also, and more important, it would make me look better.

Rodolfo Martín. KO2 Player. KOA member since 2002. FEKO # 1.
Abyss

Re: Proposal to modify the KOASI

Postby Abyss » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:37 pm

It's technically a bit complicated, but we should make it happen for paragraph no 3
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:29 pm

To be honest, I'm not too fond of this idea.

We should remember that the Silver Cup Winner is the 17th player of the world cup. He gets a final on the big screen, a trophy to take home, often a hefty amount of Ranking points, and a special mention on the world cup page. In the meantime, the 16th player who finished above him gets a day full of defeats and nothing else. I think that should be enough; he won a special round, not a standalone competition. 9-16 is also a closed competition seperate from the rest, but again the 9th player gets nothing.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:18 pm

I'd have to agree with Alkis.

Just writing this makes me feel so dirty...
-----------------------------
Jørn F.M.
Founding member of FÖKOF (and FAKO).
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Wayne's and Nick's Carreer Ender
Manager of The People's Lockout!
Il portiere è mongoloide!
Rodolfo
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Rodolfo » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:39 pm

Thank you for your opinions.

I appear in the KOASI as winner of ten local tournaments which actual worth are next to nothing. On the other hand, I have won a few Silver Cups getting ahead of several important international Kick Off players. You say that a big screen final and the trophy are enough, and I can understand that. But I still see that it is not such a big leap to turn this special rounds (oh, how I dislike the word special ;) ) into three completely different competitions, hence the official recognition as tournament victory for both the SC and the BC that I request.

We have had already a lot of World Cups, and without this little gestures, everything except the WC winner is forgotten. I recognize the abysmal difference in importance among WC and WC minor competitions, but I (and I guess not only me) still would like to get this little things to brag about.

Needles to say I neither want nor can impose my opinion, but I believe that, at least, it is not a completely unreasonable request.

Rodolfo Martín. KO2 Player. KOA member since 2002. FEKO # 1.
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:21 pm

It is certainly not unreasonable.

They may not be tournament wins, but perhaps we can think of a different official recognition. Maybe a special icon next to the player's name, like we do with medals?
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Lee W

Postby Lee W » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:51 am

that'd be cool Alkis.

Like Rodolfo said, it's a vast gulf between 'us' and 'them' but some way to recognise the lesser feats would be nice, but I certainly agree that it's still 17th place and the 16th place guy just gets a violent beating instead of cup glory so maybe a little token gesture is the best way to go.
Filthy Lobber-Lee Snow; the basterd son of Camber.
iankay
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby iankay » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:42 pm

Would this influence people's performance in the initial group stage so they get into the silver cup?
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:50 pm

As a regular occupier of the 9-16 group there is a temptation to ease up on the Saturday and trade the traditional Sunday of being destroyed by the endless stream of elites for the smoother ride of the silver cup and a much better chance to head home with a trophy. It would possibly be a healthier option, rankings-point-wise. Unfortunately that's not in my nature so I'll continue to play the role of cannon fodder for as long as I can while trying to avoid double digit defeats and hoping to fluke a win against someone who has already achieved the top spot.
However if I were to win the silver cup one day, I wouldn't feel as though it was a "tournament win" even though it's probably the only winning position I can realistically hope for these days!
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer - Ranked somewhere waaaay down the list
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :)