The WC Silver & Bronze Cup suggestions topic

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderator: Moderators

Freshmaker

Sv: The WC Silver & Bronze Cup suggestions topic

Postby Freshmaker » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:14 am

:lol:
-----------------------------
Jørn F.M.
Founding member of FÖKOF (and FAKO).
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Wayne's and Nick's Carreer Ender
Manager of The People's Lockout!
Il portiere è mongoloide!
kRadD

Re: The WC Silver & Bronze Cup suggestions topic

Postby kRadD » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:44 am

I would like to suggest a tourist trophy. For all the people who wants to use the WC as a vacation, they participate in a Tourist Cup. They have to play on two days against all players present (Tourists and Championships). So these players could time their flights on Sunday at 12'00 like today, but the others don't have the stress. A Idear so far, but worth to think about I think
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:13 am

Not sure how that would work mate.

I get whAt you are saying but yoi hae hardcore players who have given up a weekend ti play solid ko2 with no distractions. They would be adverse to friendlies in the middle of the mAin event (and these tourist games would only be a small step up from friendlies) as it would mess up their flow: concentration and would also have a massive impact on the timing of the main games (which hostriically run late anyway)

Its an idea to discuss tho certainly, but my personal belief is that it will not be possible.
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
kRadD

Postby kRadD » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:19 pm

It's up to organizers to offer a tourist cup. I don't agree to your opinion on what "hardcore" players want. You should attend more tournaments to get a different view on players.
Rodolfo
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Rodolfo » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:29 pm

Oh yes, more trophies! :P

I can understand the point, because after all we all come to the WC with a different motivation. Some people just want a weekend full of kick off matches and beer, and would not even be interested in recording the results. That is respectable.

We have had WC tourists before, or something like that. I remember Leonardo, a friend brought by Filippo in 2002, and I guess that there were some others. I cannot see how is this something for the organizers to offer: anyone can already come and spend the weekend with us and play as many non competitive matches as he wants.

What I fail to understand is if this will work as a paralel competition, with the WC and the TC. Because that will sure lead to priority quarrels in the use of computers, multiply the work of the organizers and also of the ones in charge of entering the results, and it is clear to everyone that we are already too short of time. I can totally see that the good will that would allow this TC to happen in one edition will rapidly turn into 'go book yourselves your own weekend and do whatever you want, but not anymore in the WC'.

Above all, these are only first thoughts about one idea that still needs a lot to explain and develope. I will be paying attention. Also, this requires its own thread.

Rodolfo Martín. KO2 Player. KOA member since 2002. FEKO # 1.
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:36 pm

I will try and attend more tournaments before replying next time ;)
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:32 pm

Rodolfo, after WC 2011 wrote:
Quarter Finals: Do we really need QF in the Silver Cup? (Of course, I am protesting just because I lost there!) If it is about adding emotion and unexpected results, we could have a pure cup competition as well. But after a long group league, perhaps having to play QF it is too much punishment for someone who had a great performance and finished first in his group with no defeats, and also too much reward for someone who finished 4th in the other group. I will campaign against this in the future.

Rodolfo, after WC 2012 wrote:
Quarter Finals – I said it last year after finishing first in my Silver Cup group; I say it again after finishing fourth in my Silver Cup group: there must not be quarter finals after the Silver Cup groups. It is too much punishment for a good player, and it is too much reward for a bad player.

I put very clear what I did not like for two editions in a row. Since I have been in both positions, 1st and 4th, I expect to gain some additional trust in what I say. To achieve the fourth position in a SC group you usually only have to win 3/7 matches, which means that your are a bad player, or you are having a terrible day, or both. In any case thank you for coming, but you must not occupy time and computers very valuable in sunday and most important of all, you deserve not to be awarded with the chance of going on in the competition at the expense of a better player who may see his day ruined for a bad moment after 6/7 victories in the group. I feel that this is too unfair, and should be corrected.

I understand what you mean, but in my opinion there is something that it is missing in your line of though.

if it was just one group, I would think actually like you. no questions! :) But, the silver cup (also the gold and bronze cups) are composed by two groups each. So things are different. It could happen that the two groups are unbalanced (it happens often for reasons that we cannot prevent even with the best WC format) and a player who arrive 3rd or 4th in the iron group, could be first in the easy group. the 1A vs 4B - 2A vs 3B - 2B vs 3A - 1B vs 4A phase has got his reasons.
Why to award the 1st just because he joined in the lucky and easy group?
Rodolfo
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Rodolfo » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:31 pm

Make it a pure cup then!

If it does not matter how you perform in your group, because you will qualify anyway, why not just make it a cup?

There may be uneven groups? That is way second position will play sf. And that is enough.

Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:21 pm

Although we have different opinions about the matter, I agree with you for a reason: too many games are played lately. too much stress, as it has been pointed out in the last 2 world cups. better to play less games (and this could be to cut off the 1VS4 matches in the silver/bronze and who knows, also in the gold) then if there are free amigas and all the games are gone already. world cup friendlies are always welcome.
Rodolfo
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Rodolfo » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:45 pm

There are too many meaningless matches. We have to put the knife somewhere.

alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:05 pm

kRadD wrote:I would like to suggest a tourist trophy. For all the people who wants to use the WC as a vacation, they participate in a Tourist Cup. They have to play on two days against all players present (Tourists and Championships). So these players could time their flights on Sunday at 12'00 like today, but the others don't have the stress. A Idear so far, but worth to think about I think

Thorsten, I am not sure I understand your suggestion correctly. The way it is written, it's like you suggest that ie. MariaChiara should have to play 40 matches of Kick Off 2 (one against each competitor) during the world cup weekend. And if there are 10 wives/girlfriends around, each one of them should play 40 matches of Kick Off 2 as well. Let alone that nobody will want that -even hardcore players often complain that 14 matches per day is two many-, that would increase the total number of games that must be played by 400 - assuming that they don't play each other as well. Imagine that the whole Birmingham World Cup had 480 matches in total. We'd need 10 more Amigas.

Surely that is not what you mean? Perhaps you mean tourists playing tourists only?
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Rodolfo
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Rodolfo » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:48 pm

alkis21 wrote: Let alone that nobody will want that -even hardcore players often complain that 14 matches per day is two many-

Alkis, I don't agree to your opinion on what "hardcore" players want. You should attend more tournaments to get a different view on players.

:wink:

Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:14 pm

I start to complain if matches per day goes above 90ish.
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer - Ranked somewhere waaaay down the list
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :)