2014 World Cup bid

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderator: Moderators

Robert Swift

2014 World Cup bid

Postby Robert Swift » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:27 pm

Hello my name is Robert and I used to be in the KOA. Then I went to the Middle East and became ill.

I recently went to Mobile World Congress in Barcelona and found it to be a fantastic place. I stayed in a nice hotel right in the centre and found it to be absolutely perfect for a KO2 World Cup. I know it's a long shot, but I kind of fancy organizing a World Cup there. The nightlife is just AMAZING. The bars, food, tapas, it was all really great and, from the hotel where I stayed, it was all right on the doorstep. There is even lots of nice architecture and art galleries for boffins like Alex, Rodolfo and myself.

I may well be out of permanent work for some time and therefore I could happily devote some time to this project. I think one of the main difficulties would be a lack of local players with Amigas and TV's. However I would be happy to drive from the UK with a car load (I would actually enjoy it) and I also think that it might just be driveable from Northern Italy.

If anyone has feedback on this idea I would be pleased to hear it. I am planning on posting in the KOA forums a little more as I approach my reintegration into society.

Thank you for reading.
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

2014 World Cup bid

Postby durban » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:46 pm

Wow...i would be in 100%

Positives :

First world cup in Spain
Amazing City
My ex Gf doesn't live there
Rodolfo may turn up on time

Negatives :

2014 is so far away

Robert, behind this idea 100% but think it may be a lot of work for one person with no real local knowledge or support.
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Freshmaker

Re: 2014 World Cup bid

Postby Freshmaker » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:53 pm

Amazing idea. Only negative is that it would put a Copenhagen WC out for another year. Having said that, I'm SO supporting your bid. And if I'm travelling alone, I'd be happy to fly by UK and do the drive with you. :)
-----------------------------
Jørn F.M.
Founding member of FÖKOF (and FAKO).
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Wayne's and Nick's Carreer Ender
Manager of The People's Lockout!
Il portiere è mongoloide!
Logos

Postby Logos » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:05 pm

Count me in!
Rodolfo
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Rodolfo » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:47 pm

I had to look up "boffin" :lol:

This is a nice idea, and we have enough time ahead to consider if it is also a good idea.

Barcelona is a very atractive city, with plenty of shops, art, music, restaurants, night life... That is true. The city is well connected with the rest of Europe by El Prat airport, and also Gerona and Reus airports, all three of them getting a lot of Ryanair flights. That is good.

But, there are several cons, or, to say the least, peculiarities: for the first time a committee organized by proxy WC, none of its members living in (or at driving distance) the host city; for the first time travellling to Spain, a country (that is counting on Cataluña to remain in Spain by 2014; that is for another topic) with no local community of players, and, above all, with no hardware at all to supply.

We can pick a hotel without being there to make an inspection, trusting on tripadvisor or travel agencies. And then we all must accept that there may be small flaws that could not be prevented. Ok with that, and I am ready to make as many phone calls as necessary.

Then, the attendance: I did not study the figures, but I guess that we usually have 20%-30% of local players. Or to put it other way, there are usually no more than 20 or 25 of us willing to travel for the WC. We can work on that, and try to put pressure on people to attend, or we can accept having a small WC. Ok too.

And now, the hardware: this is where I think we have the biggest problem. And not just with the Amigas, but mostly the tv sets, which take a lot of space. Robert may drive from UK, but perhaps we will need more than that. Another van from Germany, and another one from Italy. Could we gather money in advance to arrange this? Tricky.

I still believe that it is a very nice idea, but before we get several "yeah, Spain, party!" answers I guess that we must face reality. All these peculiarities can be assumed, can be somehow solved, but they will take quite an extra effort by the KOA, and specially, the organizers.

Rodolfo Martín. KO2 Player. KOA member since 2002. FEKO # 1.
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:26 pm

Yeah, Spain, party!

:gban:

Loving the road trip idea. 1000 miles with a car packed with Amigas and TVs :)
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer - Ranked somewhere waaaay down the list
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :)
Robert Swift

Postby Robert Swift » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:18 pm

I think Rodolfo you are being too much of a boffin here.

To answer your concerns...

I have already stayed in the hotel. It's THIS ONE

http://www.hoteles-catalonia.com/en/our ... on=galeria

The reason I got the idea was that every single aspect of the hotel seemed perfect for a World Cup. While I was there, I felt like I was at a World Cup. Namely:

1) Large meeting rooms in the basement where we could scream insults without upsetting businesspeople - all sitting empty but filled with power points and punch-resistant tables
2) Twin Rooms for €99 per night BEFORE I start negotiating a group discount.
3) Right on the Placa Catalunya which as you know is bang in the centre and is the terminus for the €5.90 Aerobus that comes from the airport. No-one needs a taxi!
4) Right at the top of Las Ramblas which is surely going to exceed the nightlife factor of any previous world cup, even the bright lights of Rickmansworth.
5) Fucking AWESOME breakfast with Spanish Omelette and these mini pizzas which are just incredible.
6) Free coffee, snacks and cokes etc all day in the reception.

Now, as to your concerns re equipment, I think that three vehicle loads is going to take care of it. Yes, it's a concern, but not impossible.

You raise a very good point about lack of local support. I am willing to bet money with you that I can get 50 people to this World Cup. Why?

- Because it's somewhere NEW, not London, Athens or Milan a third time
- It's really cheap and easy to get to
- Wives and girlfriends will WANT TO GO!

Imagine this...

YOU My dear, would you like to come to the Kick Off World Cup?
WIFE Where is it?
YOU A beer tent in Thorsten's garden.
WIFE Are you fucking crazy? You can count me out.
YOU Ok, so you don't mind if I go on my own, without you?
WIFE Only if you don't mind a divorce.

Now imagine this...

YOU Baby, let's go to Barcelona for the weekend.
WIFE Oh wow, that sounds great! I always wanted to go. Where are we staying? I expect some shitty Ibis 30km out of town?
YOU What do you take me for? We're in a 4-star hotel on the Placa Catalunya.
WIFE Great, when are we going?
YOU November. Erm... do you mind if I play some Kick Off 2 while we are there?
WIFE I fucking knew it. I hate you sometimes.
YOU Fine so you don't want to go then... we can stay here.
WIFE I didn't say that! I suppose I can go shopping with Maria Chiara while you boys play at computers. All right then.

I really don't think that local players are at all necessary.

Bear in mind I got more or less the same people at the Dubai tournament as will be at the UK championship. What does that tell you? Interesting destinations are what the KOA wants these days...
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

2014 World Cup bid

Postby durban » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:38 pm

Agreed.

Rodolfo stop being a boffin ffsm!
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
r.cross

Postby r.cross » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:41 pm

Wow, thats one early bid - count me in!
Freshmaker

Sv: 2014 World Cup bid

Postby Freshmaker » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:51 pm

Yeah. Rodolfo, stop being a boffin ffsm...
Jørn F.M.
The Aftertouch Podcast.
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

2014 World Cup bid

Postby durban » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:17 pm

Should i set up a 'Register for the 2014 wc' page now?
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:20 pm

Why? Everyone's gonna be there.
Jørn F.M.
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Rodolfo
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Rodolfo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:53 pm

Hoteles Catalonia is a prestigious chain.

Allright, let's do it. I will be willing to help.

Just wont buy the WC t-shirt if it says Barcelona.

Rodolfo Martín. KO2 Player. KOA member since 2002. FEKO # 1.