KO2 WC 2012 - Your Unabridged Memories and comments.....

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderator: Moderators

durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: KO2 WC 2012 - Your Unabridged Memories and comments.....

Postby durban » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:36 pm

AUWFR?
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:06 pm

Working on mine as well. C'mon Rod! Beat you to it :)
-----------------------------
Jørn F.M.
Founding member of FÖKOF (and FAKO).
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Wayne's and Nick's Carreer Ender
Manager of The People's Lockout!
Il portiere è mongoloide!
Rodolfo
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Rodolfo » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:47 pm

Very soon, coño.

Rodolfo Martín. KO2 Player. KOA member since 2002. FEKO # 1.
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:44 pm

:lolo:
Jørn F.M.
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Abyss

Postby Abyss » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:44 am

¿Dónde coño está your review?
Rodolfo
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Rodolfo » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:25 pm

Alex – Oh, brother, where are you? It is really bad luck that you had to miss two World Cups in a row; let’s hope it does not happen again. People still miss you.

Alkis – It was about time that he received the KOA Life Achievement Award. It was clear that he deserved it, but as he was the one giving it, he was never to get one. Well done Gianni, for this necessary reparation.

Best match – I enjoyed very much my Saturday matches with Jorn and Michael. We are in a similar level, and the result can go in any direction.

Creator – We had the privilege to spend our Kick Off weekend with the creator of the game, and I could take home the original KO2 box (yes, I actually bought the game, unlike you oracle pirates) signed by the great Dino Dini himself. We could finally express our recognition to the main Kick Off father, and that was one of the highest moments of all World Cup History.

Champion = Dagh. With two World Cups won now he is already as great as Spyros! None of us can think of a better Kick Off player. I hope he did not have problems again getting into the plane with that big trophy.

Dagh = Champion. Not just a mean Kick Off monster, but also wonderful company to enhance the social aspects of our favorite weekend of the year. Keep on coming, mate!

Design – If there were only one aspect were Milan 2012 exceeded all previous World Cups it was in the beautiful design touches, from the trophies, to the World Cup poster, to the amazing big KO football that dominated the tournament room. Bravo.

Earliest beginning ever – On Sunday we had the tournament room open at eight in the morning! That is a new milestone set by the Milan WC. Unfortunately not many people decided to get up that early.

Food – We had several very good meals from Friday to Sunday. It is not new to anyone that in Italy the food is very good, but it is clear that the organizers took very good care of choosing good and not expensive places for socializing in dinners, and fast and efficient hotel meals for lunches.

Gianni – As the main organizer of this 2012 World Cup, he deserves a huge applause from all the KOA, and he still managed to reach the semifinals, proving to the world that the infamous ‘organizers syndrome’ only affects those who never were very good anyway.

Gianluca – He is still my favorite Kick Off player, the one I would like to be when I grow up. As usual he did not perform very strong on Saturday, only showing up when he really has to, in the big screen games, winning the semifinals against Gianni after taking the lead only once in both matches, but 22 seconds to the end. Glorious.

Hotel – Concorde Antares was a very good hotel. My single room was excellent, and the breakfast was good too. The lunches were probably the best we ever had in any World Cup, and we must congratulate the organizers for choosing this wonderful venue.

Iberia – I decided to fly comfortably from my city, at decent times, with baggage and no hidden costs. And it was all good, except that they changed my arriving and departing times to Milan, preventing me to join the Friday Milan tour, or to do some tourism on Monday morning on my own.

Italians – This tournament was the first World Cup for several new Italian players. I really enjoyed meeting them and sincerely hope that some of them will keep on coming in the future.

Jorg – Our good friend has joined the small group of veterans with ten or more World Cup appearances. Congratulations! You are one of those who make this weekend perfect for everybody: fun, friendly and sometimes beatable. Please, do never stop.

Jorn – I have already mentioned that the matches I played against him and Michael on Saturday were very enjoyable. Besides that, he has written that he is happy that he finally defeated me. Ok, well done, but I will try not to give you that satisfaction again!

Kick Off – I love this game!

Level – The 2012 World Cup had the highest Kick Off level ever. It was a privilege playing or simply watching all these Kick Off stars.

Michael Malli – My new Alex! We shared the journey from and to the airport as well as some other fun times in the tournament and in the dinners. He has also mentioned that he is happy that he defeated me for the first time! (Oh, it seems I provided a lot of Kick Off joy to my rivals, definitely not a good symptom). Our matches were intense, fun, and I hope that next time he will also qualify among the good players for day 2, but not after defeating me.

Michele – Of all the new people I have met, I must say that my favorite was the big Michele. He is a good Kick Off player, and I am sure that if he keeps on playing he will improve very much. We managed to understand each other with my invented Italian and his little English, and it was a pleasure to be with him. Keep coming, mate!

Milan – A wonderful place, again, for a World Cup. Big city, well connected with the rest of the world, with beautiful places to go for tourism, shopping, art… I am still very sad that I could not join the Friday tour. I also wanted to take a picture of me beside the statue of Indro Montanelli, one of my preferred writers, in a park not so far from the hotel. Oh, well, some other time.

Nadia – Although I am the only Spaniard, I usually find someone to speak Spanish with. This year it was the beautiful Nadia, born in Argentina that was in charge of entering the results, a very hard task that we must always appreciate. It was delightful speaking with her and sharing childhood memories of old tv programs we used to watch. ¡Besitos, guapa!

Organizers – Thank you very much for the huge effort you have made. You have clearly put a lot of effort in providing the best Kick Off World Cup experience for all of us, and we can not thank you enough.

Problems – However, as much as we love and thank the organizers, we cannot hide that there were problems on Sunday. We never begun so early, and we never finished so late. It was very difficult knowing who you would have to play next, and the time between matches was terribly long. Something went wrong there. It is not the first time that this happens, and this must not lead to quarrels and bitching as it happened in the past, but to a serene analysis to prevent it happens again. What happened, why, and how to fix it for the future, quietly, calmly.

Quarter Finals – I said it last year after finishing first in my Silver Cup group; I say it again after finishing fourth in my Silver Cup group: there must not be quarter finals in the after the Silver Cup groups. It is too much punishment for a good player, and it is too much reward for a bad player.

Robert Swift – It is very noticeable when he is not there. He adds a lot both for the social and for the tournament aspects. Irreplaceable with the microphone, as we all could see, and missed a lot by everyone.

Silver Cup Final – Very nice to see, with the classic Silver Cup contender Lorenzo, and the new power of this middle class level, Durban. I was very happy to see that Mark got the trophy, just to keep my own Silver Cup record a bit safer and still far from Lorenzo. By the way, if I had to bet I would have put my money on George for this tournament.

Total cost – I have spent exactly 873.80€ in this World Cup. Two thirds of that money goes for the flights and the hotel. I do not earn that much every month.

Underdog – I do not think that there were many surprises in the final standing, but the 2-2 draw of Helmut against (Saturday) Gianluca is something really remarkable. The organizers did very good in recognizing this with the David Vs Goliath Award. Congratulations Helmut!

Voitsberg – I had some conversations with other usual WC players, and several of them said to me that the best World Cup ever was Voitsberg. I am very happy to see that we may go there again.

Wolf – Congratulations for winning the Bronze Cup! We are all very happy to see that you have finally one trophy that shows your dedication and love for the World Cups.

XX World Cup, Marseille 2020 – After a 0-11 defeat, I receive a plaque that says ‘I have been defeated by the lovely seven years old girl Penelope Polyrakis‘. After that, and also because of that group of French new players that nobody likes, I am beginning to think that I should finish attending World Cups.

Yes – I will go to the next one, in 2013.

Zurla, Flavio – Is a good player that several years after his first World Cup, still does not speak English. But he is very good company, and helped me covering every letter in this year's report! Grazie, Flavio!
Last edited by Rodolfo on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:00 pm

Fantastic review! Rodolfo! BRAVO!
About the problems you mentioned, I'm working on it already. I'm handling a new professional software to manage tournaments.
I run few tests on it and this software is a dream that comes true.
Now I just need to see if the data output is also compatible with the Alkis' ranking database. If Alkis gives his "yes" on that, I will be glad to assume the task for all the world cups to come.
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:47 pm

Rodolfo wrote:Michael Malli – My new Alex! We shared the journey from and to the airport as well as some other fun times in the tournament and in the dinners. He has also mentioned that he is happy that he defeated me for the first time! (Oh, it seems I provided a lot of Kick Off joy to my rivals, definitely not a good symptom). Our matches were intense, fun, and I hope that next time he will also qualify among the good players for day 2, but not after defeating me.

Have to agree, I love this guy too...can we share?!

Nice Write up Rodolfo ;)
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
r.cross

Postby r.cross » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:53 pm

Well worth the wait - thanks!

durban wrote:
Have to agree, I love this guy too...can we share?!

I'll have to do something about this then - in our future games :twisted:
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:33 am

So, guess it's me then :)

I really wasn't gonna go to the WC this year. Low on finance, 2 small kids, etc, made it look bad. But just for the heck of it, I checked for planetickets, and found them for € 60 return. Shit. I got my ok from the missis, IF I could find someone who'd let me stay at his house. I quickly contacted Gianni, and he answered something like "We'll find room, somewhere, at somones house, you just get your tickets". I could feel the World Cup euforia start building right away :)

I left home early in the morning, as I totally hate being late when travelling, so I had my 2 hours of total calmness at the airport. When entering the gate-area, I started looking for Dagh, as I'd figured he'd be travelling with the same plane, but with no luck. He sure knows how to hide.

I arrived safely in Milan, even though bying train-tickets at the ticket-machine at the airport was a major pain. And after dropping my bag off at the hotel (even though I wasn't staying there), I went to check out a Scooter Museum, getting my moneys worth.

When returning to the hotel, I was quite pleased to find my good friend Mark Williams in the hotel-bar, having a beer. Naturally, I joined him. At that moment, I felt the WC had started. :)
And quite surely, after just a little while, KOA'ers started pouring in. Quality!!! And that even DD turned up just made it even more special. Last year I got to know Screechy, this year I got to know DD. Cool. And reading Alkis Bishop saying he was the first to greet him is nothing but a lie. I was first over, shaking hands and welcoming, but as I'm not such an organiser, it was totally cool to let Alkis take over :)

The custumary dinner and a draw was funny as always, with friends, food and chat. The draw was done in a very nice way, and it all just felt cool.
Then we went back to the Kick Off House. I stayed there with Alkis, Panayotis and Flavio. Cool. And as I shared with them, I couldn't go on my regular World Cup binges, so I stayed sober most of the weekend. Interesting experience. BUT as we left the hotel for the Metro, we, of course, met The Germans (Panni, Peter S, Wolf und Thomas) on their way to the hotel. They had one important message: "We're just gonna check in, then we're gonna go disco! Come on Jørn, you're coming with us". Man did it break my heart to say no then and there, but waking up early on saturday, WITHOUT my regular WC hangover, made it so much more ok. :)

Panayotis went to have breakfast (or snacks as I'd call it). Ffs. Croissant is NOT breakfast. You southerners need to learn something about health-issues. Djeez... :lolo: and then we left for the game-room. On our way, I stopped at a McDonalds, as I was desperate for something related to food (not that I think McDonalds is good and healthy, I just needed something to really fill up), but got told by the dude working there, with the words "We don't start serving burgers until 10 a.m. But you can have a croissant" WTF???? McDonalds, NOT serving burgers? What's this world coming to? So I had to get pizza right next to the hotel, for breakfast.
Played a couple of friendlies, got my usual losses, then we started playing, and I was facing Michele first.

This Michele fella... Damn. It was rather obvious to me, that he's used to playing vs the Amiga. He didn't have much of a reportoire, but what he had, he played very well. He hammered me 5-1, even though I had most of the ball-control. Great way to start the WC... Our reverse match was much better, ending 5-5, even though I felt I should've won. At least a little booster. And what a funny guy he is!!! Such a great guy to have in the KOA. Hope he stays on forever :)

Marco is also a funny guy. Always positive, smiling, really fun to be around. Two nice victories for me.

Thomas N. What's there to say? He's one of the original Germans tm ffs! It almost feels bad to take points from him. You just wanna go for beer! We had some nice talks, getting to know each other more. Cool!

Kostas is way cool. We've never talked anything before this WC, but it was fun to finally break the ice. 1 win, 1 loose.

Rodolfo, the spanish aramada! Where to start...? One of the definate seniors in the KOA. I just can't see a WC without Rodolfo. Great guy, great fun, great talks :) And finally, I got my win!!! After taking the defeat first, I managed to haul in a win in our re-match. Putting me in a VERY good mood ;)

Michael Ma. What a great player. We didn't get to talk much, but I think we've at least layed the ground-works for future talks. Really a nice dude, who's really got some KO to show for. Looking forward to finally seeing Voitsberg this november :)

Alkis. Ffs. Where to start... Ok, this is the about our matches, so I'll leave it with Alkis giving me the laugh of day 1, when he turned up with his joystick, ready for our match, "I'll just have to put some lotion on first", then grabbing his little bottle of oil, to get ready for some serious joystick-handling...? :D I still haven't stopped giggling. Alkis Bishop, you're a nutter, and I love u :)

Andy. I've only met Andy at the '11 and '12 WC, but he's already one of my best friends in the KOA. He's allways friendly, warm, caring, and it seems we share a lot of views on stuff. Allways fun to play as well, and I really learn from him. Quality job dude!

Allesandro I remember meeting for the first time in Cologne, when we shared fajitas in the mexican restaurant. Always smiling, always friendly, always a pleasure both to be around and to play.

I placed where I wanted to place after day 1, right below Rodolfo, heading into the Silver Cup, and I was pleased with that. What I was not pleased with, was how bad I was on points. 11 points behind Rodolfo, and with a negative goal-score my mother would've killed me for, was she still alive.

Good then, to first get a realy footy, after we almost blew it, taking too much time playing KO2. My first stint with the mic in the KOA was a sucsess, securing a trip to heaven for me, with my first footy-experience in 12 years. Knee-surgery and all, made it a real gamble for me, but it all turned out well in the end. I even broke a rib ffs! :) I loved it, and I SO look forward to next time. :)
Day 1 was finished sharing a Inventa-pizza with Mark W, getting thrown out of the reastaurant as soon as we had our food deliverd. Crazy italians... Sure, we're open. Sit down, order, look at my sexy tush while I walk around a bit, here's your food, now get the f**k out!
Of course, Mark found it funny to make me laugh, since it hurt so much for me laughing with my broken rib. Thanks bud :)

Day 2, the Silver Cup. Yeah! Even at day 2 I turned up without a hangover. Wtf?
The group-stages on day 2 was me loosing for George Ka (What a star ffs!!!), Cornelius (gotta start getting my act up, beating this guy...), and Fabio R (wtf? Why can I never win those matches you're just supposed to win?), drawing with Jorg (one of the funniest guys in the KOA, an institution, together with his fellow germans), winning over Peter S (another one of the German backbone of the KOAWC!) and Thorsten (JAHWOL!!!). Felt bad about Thorsten though, 'cause he really bummed out in our match, me scoring on everything, I didn't even make him smash the table. He just gave up.).

In the quarther finals, I was facing one of my absolute best friends in the KOA, Mark W. We had our talks before the match, both feeling bad about it, knowing that one of us had to go. We played our first, me winning with 2. Then took a short break, to find "our" amiga taken when returning. That amiga was then taken for almost an hour, really making me loose my nerve, so ended up loosing after extra-time. I'm just pleased I couldn't have lost to a better man. :)
Then, in the play-outs I played Rodolfo again, and 1 w 1 d made him the better man. Again. ;) Finally, I played Cornelious, showing him his place :)

In the end, it was time to say our goodbyes, and it always feels like shit. Good part though, was that me and my room-mates (Alkis Bishop, Panayotis and Flavio) was invited to breakfast with Gianni and Allesandro on monday morning. Well... breakfast you nutters??? Think again... A cup of tea/coffe and a croissant... :lol:
Finally, Allesandro drove me to the train-station, and I was heading home. Head filled with beautiful memories, glad to be going home to my family, sooo looking forward to the next WC :)

Thanks guys. :)

Special thanks goes to, of course, Gianni, Alleasandro, MariaChiara, all the others helping out.

Rob, Alex, Sid, Wayne, Mark Bishop (the real), Haydn, Vasilis, Spyros, Nikos, and all the others - get back into the game guys! We miss you :)
Jørn F.M.
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Rodolfo
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Rodolfo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:24 pm

You flew there for 60 euros? After all those years in Tromso, taking so many hours and money, you are finally getting it easy, kudos.

Nice write up, mate 8)

Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:24 am

Indeed. Finally I can travel cheap. Just too bad I don't make half the money I made in Norway... :(
Jørn F.M.
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Logos

Postby Logos » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:06 pm

Wonderful reviews by you all, fun to relive the memories. Will post a review soon.

Can't wait to see you all again in the next WC!