For Queen and Country! | RESULTS

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderator: Moderators

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

For Queen and Country! | RESULTS

Postby gdh82 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:23 am

Amid the Royal Razamatazz spreading the nation for the Diamond Jubilee this weekend, we thought we'd do our bit for Queen and Country.... and have a KO2 tourney*! :D

19:30
Castle Kobra

Noble Attendees
1. Lord Lob Xth (long lineage here) aka Brian C
2. Earl of Evil aka Steve E
3. Count Kobraman aka Garry C
4. King John II aka John B
5. King, Simon aka Simon K (subject to late confirmation)

* or pending player confirmations some UKC warm-up practice games :)
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
alkis21

Re: For Queen and Country!

Postby alkis21 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:41 am

You are the king of posters, mate. :)
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:19 pm

loving the poster! should be a t-shirt hehe
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:05 pm

Thanks fellas. Have to confess I found a website that does the hardwork for me and it's funny you should mention t-shirts Ste.....

http://www.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/p/kee ... -kick-off/

Btw received a telegram from John to say's he's on! 8)
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:04 am

Well what a thoroughly enjoyable evening that was! Got home about 2AM after a superb night of footy chat, tournament games and mini challenges.
It's a shame that the weather put paid to Gaz's original plan of having the tournament outside under the Gazebo. This would have been superb albiet a bit chilly so it was better to venture into the KO2 room.
Garry C 2 - 3 Steve E
It seemed ages ago since the last tournament and with my first game against Gaz the nerves were jangling. There sure is something special - and agonising about tournament games compared to JFF's.
With excitement high I was into my game with Gaz and 2-3 scoreline shows how close the game was and it was only when reading Gaz's review that I realised I saved a penalty. If truth be told though I enjoyed this - and how 2nd game - more for the laughs we were having at the time in the white hot atmosphere of tournament football.

Simon K 5 - 4 Steve E
Right in the grove I now faced SimonK who had played very efficiently in his previous game and same happened in this one! Always two goals in front I was pleased to fight for this one right to the death. At 5-3 it seemed the game was over but a quick goal back meant it was squeaky bum time right up to the final whistle but alas I wasnt able to get that win I craved.

Steve E 5 - 2 Brian C
Looking at this scoreline you'v be forgiven for thinking it was an easy game but this was far from it. Firstly Brian scored two goals which in itself is quality considering he hardly plays. To score in KO2 requires a little luck but lots of skill - mainly why so many new guys dont persevere but Bri scored som quality chips in he box...back in the day I only scored 'non goals' outside of the post hehe. But with a minute and half on the clock I was winning 2-1 so this gives you an idea how close it was. In the end I scored a brace but let me tell you this wasnt a convincing win by any stretch.

Steve E 7 - 4 John B
Normally when playing new guys I try to chat a lot and enjoy the social aspect more but as per my game previously I decided to focus 110% as if it's a World Cup Semi Final and this seemed to give John the extra concentration to push me all the way! 4 Goals is fantastic in any game and it was another close game.

Steve E 2 - 4 Garry C
At the halfway point we enjoyed a cool shandy and plenty of Dorito's. I think Gaz, Si and myself lapped these up while talking football, purring at the thought we were going to win the tournament. With us all on the same number of points it was going to go right to the wire and I was indeed more focused for this one than the 1st but after an awful shot by Barrett I decided to sub him in the first half. Indeed I was all over the shop in this one as I wasnt even sure what half it was. :lol: But with confidence high I did my customary sub in the second half only to get my main forward injured soon after. Suddenly all those recent games of Fifa made KO2 seem so alien to me and I just couldnt do anything but switching to Falcon helped and I nearly made it 3-2 but with the chance missed Gaz cooly scored his fourth and took a deserved win.

Steve E 3 - 1 Simon K
Si remarked in this one that I was a man on a mission - and indeed I was. With a steely determination I took to this game and made sure things went my way. I wasnt in the mood for an average performance and I wanted to win this f*cker after feeling sorry for myself in the last game. I played this one as if I was playing Gianni and managed to come out victor.

Brian C 1 - 9 Steve E
As with my previous game with Bri I stayed focused with this one but Bri was having a whale of a time with plenty of laughs. Unfortunatly though he didnt get quite the rub of the green in this one and I managed to score a few goals to come out with a convincing victory.

John B 2 - 8 Steve E
I think by this time John and Bri were suffering Kick Off fatigue and it was getting quite late too but I managed to escape this game unscathed too, however John should be very pleased with his two goals.

Thoughts
Well what a return for tournaments in the West Midlands. Forget the games of Kick Off, this was great for just meeting up with the lads and chewing the cud. Loved the 4 player event at the beginning and why oh why do Villa keep on having the luck in this one? hehe Well played John and Si on taking the crown again lads.
I thought Si had this tournament in the bag and I think he may have done as well when he beat me convincingly but then Gaz snuck a win in their first game which threw the league wide open again, however you cant argue with the winner who beat myself once and Si twice. That kind of performance deserved the title and less than a week before Bournemouth cant be bad for morale.

It's easy to get caught up in the fuore of it all with Kick Off but when you all have things in common and the conversation, ribbing and laughs flow easily it makes you realise we should do this more often - and we will...in Bournemouth!

Cheers for Hosting again Gaz!
Last edited by Steve1977 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:12 am

Garry C 2 - 3 Steve E
John B 0 - 7 Simon K
John B 1 - 2 Brian C
Simon K 5 - 4 Steve E
Simon K 2 - 4 Garry C
Steve E 5 - 2 Brian C
Steve E 7 - 4 John B
Brian C 1 - 3 Garry C
Brian C 1 - 9 Simon K
Garry C 7 - 2 John B
Steve E 2 - 4 Garry C
Simon K 8 - 1 John B
Brian C 4 - 1 John B
Steve E 3 - 1 Simon K
Garry C 5 - 4 Simon K
Brian C 1 - 9 Steve E
John B 2 - 8 Steve E
Garry C 10 - 2 Brian C
Simon K 5 - 3 Brian C
John B 0 - 3 Garry C

Cheers Ste :) I enjoyed it too, and I'm not talking the lucky title either! Will post more later too....

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Re: For Queen and Country! | RESULTS

Postby gdh82 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:02 am

2012 is not only an anniversary year for the Queen, it marks 5 years of KOBRA too. :) I'd like to think we're still having just as much fun now as we did back in KOBRA's debut. With everyone here we really could have chatted all night but there was some kick off to play.....

PART I - The Blues v Villa (4P)

Partly to continue our series of local rivalry, we were also testdriving a beta of KO2CV 1.08 with an enhanced 4p option. 8) One player is defence, the other attack, and roles swap at HT. Team Kick Off could not be more fun. The banter between and within teams is often hilarious. If things go right take the credit and if they don't blame your team mate! :lol: Camberman has done another fantastic job here and I do hope we can make some time at the UKCs for some KO2 Doubles. Twice the players, ten times the fun!

Anyway, representing their Villa heroes were Si and John, and Bri, Ste and myself in the blue corner, taking it in turns to plays when goals were scored/conceded. Handing over possession to your team mate isn't easy and is a new KO2 skill to learn, but when KO2 co-op play comes off, it can be even more satisfying, unlike our result! Desperate to level the series, we went behind 0-1, I came on to score the equaliser, only for Si to lob his way to another victory. We will be back! :evil:

The Series so far....

Blues 4 - 5 Villa
Villa 2 - 1 Blues

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:02 am

PART II - The League

Garry C 2 - 3 Steve E
Simon K 2 - 4 Garry C
Garry C 7 - 2 John B
Brian C 1 - 3 Garry C

My opener against Ste was a edgy, tense battle with Ste taking his chances well (unlike me) and even saving a penalty to cooly secure this victory. "Low energy KO" is how I'd describe my win over Si where things kind of fell into place without really having to work for it. I'm pretty sure John took the lead in our game and really had more of the play than the scoreline suggests. My final game of the round was probably my hardest and my bro had me rattled big time! Again I had to come from behind but only squeezed ahead in the 8th minute with considerable relief.

Steve E 2 - 4 Garry C
Garry C 5 - 4 Simon K
Garry C 10 - 2 Brian C
John B 0 - 3 Garry C

Whereas I felt I'd earned a 3-1 HT lead, what happened in the second half was pure luck and harshio for Steve. :( The sub bug struck where his player went off injured only to be replaced by an equally slow player. Worst still, it's was Ste's leading front man, severely limiting his attacking options. An late astute tactical change helped but time was running out. Si was up for our rematch and this could easily have gone either way. A bizarre game with both of us conceding freak own goals after an attempted clearance went in-off another defender! :shock: Such was my good run of fortune, a 20-second brace mid 2nd half edged the points in my direction. Compared to our earlier game, this one was chalk and cheese and I score with relative ease against Bri but apologies if they became a tad repetitive. :oops: Goals often come easily especially when you need them least, and so it was here with almost everything flying in. I reckon Bri must have passed the battling spirit to John who put up a great fight in what he said was his best performance of the night to end the tourney.

I was congratulated and ribbed in equal measure for this title which I claimed both controversially and fortutiously, and I wasn't sure whether to apologise or celebrate. I decided to take the smooth with the rough! :mrgreen:

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:03 am

PART III - Practive mode challenge!

Just for fun we finished off with a 2-goal challenge. Who could score two goals in the fastest time? By way of a handicap, we set it to 5 different goals for Si, Ste and myself. The best bit was jeering each other when they miss chances knowing the clock is ticking! :lolo: :lolo:

Best Times:
Steve E 1:04
Brian C 1:21
Garry C 1:58
Simon K 2:04
John B 2:47

Nice one to everyone for attending. This was also Bri and John's first KOA meeting, and their matches were close, especially the first one. Always great to see you both. John B claimed an usual record actually the highest miss, over by 1029cm!!! (didn't know that was even possible) with a 'slightly' overhit freekick! :lol: Cheers to Ste and Si for offering the guys transport too, and helping us all get togther. I love the 8Bits too but don't think we should leave it so long until the next KOBRA and KOOHL eh lads! :)

Cornelius
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Cornelius » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:05 am

Congartulations Garry !! :D

Winning such a high class tournament and even having a better defense than "Mr. worlds best defense" Simon is definitly a remarkable success.

It seems to have been a very tight tourny, where all of the first three palyers could have claimed the title for themselves. But the closer the games, the greater the fun in winning them. :wink:

Greetings to all of you. :)
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:30 pm

Cheers Cornelius :) I must remind Simon of that next time we meet :wink: , and you're so right about the closer the game, the greater the fun.