All the goals, the stats, the stories & more - KO2 WC 2011

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderator: Moderators

SimonB
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Re: 11th KO2 World Cup: Post your stories here

Postby SimonB » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:08 pm

Saturday morning – I wake up at the crack of dawn, put the kettle on and wander over to the spare room to give James kick … already cursing myself for not making the decision to go to Birmingham on Friday night! Never again. Early Saturdays are PAINFUL. Traffic is light and we get to the hotel for about 10:30am … we’re both tired but exhilarated to be at another big tournament and to see so many old and friendly faces: Sid, Waynie, Alkis, Steve S and Steve C etc.

I knew I was a 5th seed and therefore not expected to finish in the top 4 … but that was fine by me … I know I’m better than my ranking suggests and to many people outside the UK I’m an unknown quantity.

The one person I wanted to avoid in the group stage was Robert ‘The Bastard’ Swift – arch KO2 enemies for the last 11 years – neither of us wants a match up so early. When Rob and I play, it’s nasty and brutal …

I encourage Gianni to post the video so you can see for yourselves :lol:

… and there is much joy to see him in another Group.

However, I also spot Gianni, Steve E and George … so it’s not all good. :cry:

I went in with a game plan: I was going to play smart … normally I try to out-score the opposition, but this time I was going to be a bastard. My mantra: don’t be afraid of using lockout … do what you need to win the game.

Simon B Peter K 5-2
Peter K Simon B 2-3

Classic example of the ‘Bastard’ plan. The first game was reasonably comfortable but Peter was really strong in game 2 and I had to close it out. In the past this might have been a game I drew or lost because of my opponent getting into their stride and really putting the pressure on. In the end I scraped it – and I had 6 points.

Simon B Mandhir S 3-2
Mandhir S Simon B 0-3

Was excellent to see Sid again after his self-imposed exile – one of the good guys and I hope to see him again at future events. We have a long history of games and I’m not sure I’ve ever lost to him – but for periods of this weekend he was on fire, so again I managed to close out the 3-2 … again possibly points dropped in the past

Lorenzo L Simon B 3-2
Simon B Lorenzo L 6-1

Was lovely to meet Lorenzo … we didn’t speak the same language (although he’s also fluent in Spanish … whereas I’m an uncultured Englishman) … but we had good competitive games and a good laugh. He had joystick issues in game 1 which means the score-line flattered me slightly … but he got his revenge in game 2. How do you say “top bloke” in Italian? 

Simon B George Ka 5-3
George Ka Simon B 2-4

I knew these games would be tough. Just before we played someone mentioned he had beaten Gianni in Athens … NOT what you want to hear just before kick off! Once again the ‘Bastard’ tactic did its job. I’m sure George hated both of these games as I just defended like a madman … but it was another 6 valuable points

Thorsten B Simon B 1-3
Simon B Thorsten B 5-4

Thorsten is one of those characters that make the KOA special; passionate, loud and very, very angry – the German Robert Swift maybe? I think that if Thorsten can’t make a tournament, the organisers must play a backing track of him swearing and cheering in order to create the right atmosphere! Once again, ‘Bastard tactics’ won me the 6 points.

Simon B Steve E 4-5
Steve E Simon B 6-2

I first met and played Steve at the UK Champs in Reading in 2007? I also think that was the last time I beat him! To say the KOBRA guys have taken their KO2 to another level is an understatement. I guarantee that Steve will be a serious contender for UK champ in 2012.

I avoided Steve for as long as possible. Beating him twice would have been very difficult, but I thought I might nick one game. ‘Bastard tactics’ almost worked until he nicked 2 late goals to win the first game. The second game was completely different – I was down early and chasing … exactly what Evil thrives on … and I was duly punished. Hail Satan!

Gianni – The Predator

The last time I met Gianni was also in Reading 2007? – where I played poorly and was duly humiliated. For this reason I didn’t want to play him until I had a few points on the table – so every time he suggested we play I said “no” and ran away like the true coward I am.

It did give us the opportunity to sit down, have a good chat and eat a nice lunch though!

Eventually we played … at this point I had won all my games, had some solid points on the board and was going to employ my attack/defend tactics –I was ready to give it my best shot!

Game 1 and I hit him with everything I had…

3-3 at half time … “If it bleeds we can kill it!”

Sadly, all I managed to do was anger the Predator, Gianni scored 7 goals in the second half and I lost 10-3 …

Game 2 didn’t get any better … but, I felt that I held my own, gave him a good couple of games … and I felt like I had figured out Gianni’s secret … he’s very, very good.

Day 1 was over and somehow I finished 3rd in the group – amazing. In the bar, Capello had clearly heard about the ’Bastard tactics’ and had told England that this was a good way to beat Spain. Always happy to help Fabio!

I didn’t hang around for the draw, I was so knackered from the early start that I went to my room to grab a couple of hours sleep (SHOULD HAVE ARRIVED ON FRIDAY!). Bowling was lots of fun – got to catch up with Durbs (always a pleasure) and perved at the young girls in their tight costumes. Then off for a delicious curry with Rob, James Bu, Oliver et al.

I was still very tired (SHOULD HAVE ARRIVED ON FRIDAY), so after dinner I went back to the hotel and crashed. Robert thought I was running away from him … and under normal circumstances he would be right. However, I was genuinely tired and needed some sleep … and I’ve learned to ignore his text messages demanding I meet him for drinks in the bar. I slept soundly.

Day 2 to come!
Birmingham 2011 World Cup: 15th best player :)
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:42 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:39 am

Following Predator more:

Robert: You're bleeding, man. You're hit.
Simon: I ain't got time to bleed.
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:59 pm

Following on from your turn on the mic, your cinematic report was hilarious, Si! :lol: :lol: :lol: And there's a bastard part two... :lol:
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Robert Swift

Postby Robert Swift » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:10 pm

Oh God I need to take an hour to read all these excellent reports. And probably to write my own. I am so occupied by work this week.... horrible.

Simon, you must attend all World Cups now. Or you can never remove that defeat. Like the Phantom Menace... "It will never go away....."
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:47 am

Robert Swift wrote: I am so occupied by work this week.... horrible.

We are occupied by work too, we simply didn't sleep! :)
Torchiador
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Torchiador » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:52 am

SimonB wrote:Day 2 to come!

AUS?

and Robert? Any update from Emirates?
Robert Swift

Postby Robert Swift » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:27 pm

<20 in the rankings :eeko:
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:26 pm

Robert Swift, do you really want to make this the first & only world cup you've played in but offered no post-tournament report?
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:58 pm

Robert Swift, do you really want to make this the
first & only world cup you've played in but offered
no post-tournament report?
-----------------------------
Jørn F.M.
Founding member of FÖKOF (and FAKO).
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Wayne's and Nick's Carreer Ender