10th Kick Off 2 World Cup - Slidebugfixes VOTE RESULT PAGE 7

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderator: Moderators

hogstrom
1000+ Poster!
1000+ Poster!

Re: 10th Kick Off 2 World Cup - Slidebugfixes VOTE RESULT PA

Postby hogstrom » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:50 pm

Wise move, Steve.

Now, :arg:
By car, Kickoff2-record traveller! Ostersund/Dusseldorf +3,750 km during +55 hours
Wcups: 2005 (29:th), 2006 (15:th), 2007 (6:th), 2008 (6:th), --, 2010 (12:th), --, --, --, 2014 (5:th), 2015 (12:th)...
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:05 am

I had a fantastic time in Dusseldorf and decided well in advance that I wasn't going to exclude myself despite the prospect of playing without my preferred settings. I fully accepted the vote and, besides, the bigger prize was meeting up and having fun together. And that's exactly what happened. :) While the subject is on the table, however, I would like to make what I hope will be seen as constructive suggestions for future WC votes. I do not wish to offend others in doing so.

The closeness of the WC vote again shows that the KOA is a broad church, as Robert put it. And why the hell shouldn't it be! Never has one size fit all, and nor should it. I no more want everyone to have to play slidefree as I want everyone to be forced to play with slides. The KOA's diversity gives its richness, from preferred PBD and slide settings, to tactic and goal scoring styles. Don't knock it! Imho the challenge for the KOA is to strive to be as inclusive as possible. The starting point has got to be mutual respect. Maybe the real dummies are the ones who persist in belittling the preferences of others? I'm sure Dagh made a point years ago of saying what a mugs game that is.

Ultimately organisers and participants have to come to a decision on the default tournament setting via a vote. As has been already said this ideally would be done some time in advance of the event, though of course that could deny late entrants a say on the matter.

I'd encourage organisers to have two separate and simple votes. Something along the lines of 'Do you prefer to play with or without .........' - one for autoslides/headers and one for the unintended/undesired slides because they are quite different matters and so are people's views on them. This vote would produce a 'majority preference'.

Finally and in addition to this vote and where two players individual preferences concur but differ from the majority preference I'd suggest they are free to play their way. This is exactly where the APT menu makes this so easy. I believe this is no different to those intentions posted by Dagh before the WC vote was completed, when he planned to play using his 'with slides' preference with like-minded players via a gentleman's agreement. This seems entirely reasonable to me and something future organisers should consider.

Respect each others preferences and allow limited freedom while adhering to the verdict of a vote. Sounds do-able to me.
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
hogstrom
1000+ Poster!
1000+ Poster!

Postby hogstrom » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:41 am

gdh82 wrote:I'd encourage organisers to have two separate and simple votes. Something along the lines of 'Do you prefer to play with or without .........' - one for autoslides/headers and one for the unintended/undesired slides because they are quite different matters and so are people's views on them. This vote would produce a 'majority preference'

Agreed Garry, as you suggest, it is two different things and could be separated when it comes to voting in the future.
By car, Kickoff2-record traveller! Ostersund/Dusseldorf +3,750 km during +55 hours
Wcups: 2005 (29:th), 2006 (15:th), 2007 (6:th), 2008 (6:th), --, 2010 (12:th), --, --, --, 2014 (5:th), 2015 (12:th)...
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:22 am

Thought I'd quote you in the voting thread....

hogstrom wrote:I very much defend the slide that occures when you try to trap the ball and opposition is too close or when it´s about a loose ball and opposition player touched the ball last. Bug or not, as you know, for me it is a big part of the defending game in kickoff2 and will always defend it to stay in the game.

Indeed - I wouldn't expect anything less, John. :) We've discussed our preferences before, with mutual acceptance and respect.

hogstrom wrote:Who should be allowed to vote? People that have never entered a Wcup, should they be allowed to vote? I say no. We could make it easy and only allow votes from the group of people that have partipicated in 2-3 of the latest 5 Wcups (or similiar). Thus we have the core of the KOA that decide about these delicate issues.

Good question. My instinctive answer was that participants only should be allowed to vote. Perhaps as you say, non-attendees should have a say too? Can't make my mind up so maybe one for organisers to wrestle with.
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
hogstrom
1000+ Poster!
1000+ Poster!

Postby hogstrom » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:26 pm

gdh82 wrote:
hogstrom wrote:Who should be allowed to vote? People that have never entered a Wcup, should they be allowed to vote? I say no. We could make it easy and only allow votes from the group of people that have partipicated in 2-3 of the latest 5 Wcups (or similiar). Thus we have the core of the KOA that decide about these delicate issues.

Good question. My instinctive answer was that participants only should be allowed to vote. Perhaps as you say, non-attendees should have a say too? Can't make my mind up so maybe one for organisers to wrestle with.

Yes, that is the thing. Confirmed names during summer includes several names that wont be at present when the Wcup starts, because of dropouts. That´s why i suggested above. But as you say, that could just as well be something for orgainsers to deal with.