HELLAND III aka DUDLEY XX | 09.07.10 | RESULTS P2

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderator: Moderators

Cornelius
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Re: HELLAND III aka DUDLEY XX | 09.07.10

Postby Cornelius » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:16 pm

gdh82 wrote:Btw the more I think about those brilliant and bonkers ideas of the Koenigswinter boys, the more I like them! Gonna have to make a suggestion to the guys tonight.....

Try it out - it realy ads a lot of fun and tension to a tournament.

Anyway I wish all of you guys lots of fun at your meeting. :)
Kostas O

Postby Kostas O » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:09 am

Well gaz got the title yesterday!
I just wanted to beat him into telling everyone :)
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:35 pm

Cornelius wrote:
gdh82 wrote:Btw the more I think about those brilliant and bonkers ideas of the Koenigswinter boys, the more I like them! Gonna have to make a suggestion to the guys tonight.....

Thanks Cornelius. We did! And look forward to sharing some our findings soon, including winner of the golden boot! :)
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:37 pm

Thanks Costas. Slight though my title was I'm enjoying my 24hrs of glory as reigning Helland champion! :) Steve, of course, won the Helland III Fun Cup World Cup title - as England too (at last the three lions win something!)

See you guys over at mine later..... for the second leg! 8)
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:58 pm

Congratulations to the first English Helland champion. :)
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:29 pm

alkis21 wrote:Congratulations to the first English Helland champion. :)

Thanks Alkis! After Steve became the second English Helland champion the following night, I think that squares the series 2-2! :)

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:33 pm

Code: Select all

Steve E  5 - 1  Kostas O
         Garry C  5 - 3  Simon K
         Garry C  5 - 2  Steve E
         Simon K  2 - 1  Kostas O
         Steve E  5 - 4  Simon K
        Kostas O  4 - 7  Garry C

Semi Final

Steve E  6 - 3  Simon K
        Garry C  5 - 2  Kostas O

3/4th Playoff

Simon K  4 - 1  Kostas O

Final

Garry C  4 - 8  Steve E

Steve E 12 - 5  Kostas O
         Garry C  5 - 3  Simon K
         Garry C  3 - 5  Steve E
         Simon K  3 - 5  Kostas O
         Steve E  4 - 5  Simon K
        Kostas O  2 - 3  Garry C
        Kostas O  5 - 7  Steve E
         Simon K  2 - 3  Garry C
         Steve E  4 - 6  Garry C
        Kostas O  4 - 2  Simon K
         Simon K  2 - 6  Steve E
         Garry C  4 - 2  Kostas O
         Steve E  7 - 5  Kostas O
         Garry C  3 - 1  Simon K
         Garry C  3 - 3  Steve E
         Simon K  2 - 3  Kostas O
         Steve E  4 - 9  Simon K
        Kostas O  6 - 1  Garry C

Still enjoying the memories of a superb weekend 8) 8) 8) Tourney reports to come in a day or two....

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Re: HELLAND III aka DUDLEY XX | 09.07.10 | RESULTS P2

Postby gdh82 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:02 pm

The waiting was finally over and the first leg of our Helland double-header was about to begin at Steve's. 8) 8) 8)

Meeting Costas was an absolute pleasure. He naturally felt apart of the group within minutes, the laughs were coming easily and by the end of the evening it was although we'd known him for years (okay we had but only in a forum sense!) :)

We kicked off the night's activities with a World Cup theme, the Helland III Cup, using international teams. Due to a problem with missing tactics from the international friendly option, we used a much older version of KO2 so played WITH both autoslides and unintended slides! We agreed on a x1 qualifying round to determine semi-final line-up (1st v 4th and 2nd v 3rd) but first we each drew teams out of the hat as follows:

Kostas O - Spain
Steve E - England
Simon K - Greece (forced to rename Italy for this!)
Garry C - Holland

Playing as international teams was a welcome change though it also brought some challenges. I couldn't hardly see the orange on the scanner for a start, though slightly dipping the floodlights (brightness) seemed to help. I think we were all surprised just how different it felt playing with a new team's set of player's attributes :? My left winger could kick straight for a start, I'd find pace where I didn't expect and I think most of us missed Cox at the back. This definitely added something new and fresh to the games! 8) I didn't realise until after we'd started that Kostas had the biggest challenge of all because he was unable to player his preferred 'balanced' tactic since no ETs were available in the version we used. :(

Qualifiers
Garry C 5 - 3 Simon K (HOLLAND v GREECE)
Garry C 5 - 2 Steve E (HOLLAND v ENGLAND)
Kostas O 4 - 7 Garry C (SPAIN v HOLLAND)

I'd be interested to know the player attribute values of the international teams but I felt fortunate to have Holland. They seemed to have a decent set of players. So much so in fact, Si questioned whether his team were on 50% speed after Holland brushed Greece aside! I felt invincible and even continued my victory march against England (Steve E) :eeko: . My final group-stage match saw the Netherlands complete the hat-trick over Spain (Kostas O).

Semi Final
Garry C 5 - 2 Kostas O (HOLLAND V SPAIN)

Finishing 1st in the qualifying round set up an immediate replay with 4th place Spain. Not sure I was playing total kick off but I marched into the final after four straight wins to meet England (Steve E) for the second time. I was wearing orange with pride even though my loyalties were torn! Confident and determined though I was, some uncharateristic lethal finishing from England (but quite typical from Steve!) won the match in the first half.

Final
Garry C 4 - 8 Steve E (HOLLAND v ENGLAND)

:no1: Well played Steve, taking his latest title after his impressive UKC Crown, which incidentally was proudly on display for all to see (and rightly so). "Can I have your autograph, Steve!" :lol: :)

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:21 pm

After our world cup, fun cup ice-breaker, it was time for the main event.... Helland III. Returning to the familiar yellow and blue kits, the team A/B line-ups, the individual APT choice and all 8 tactics, we were warmed up and ready to go! :)

Round #1
Garry C 5 - 3 Simon K
Garry C 3 - 5 Steve E
Kostas O 2 - 3 Garry C

I was determined not to let my Dutch cup final defeat affect me and thankfully got off to a winning start against below par Si. We now realise mate that it was more than just tiredness you were suffering from after being forced to pullout of saturday's tourney altogether. :( I wanted revenge against Steve but UK and WC Fun Cup Champ won it again with a first half blitz that I could never pull back. With the most slender of margins, I squeezed through 3-2 for a victory against Costas. And it was that tight!

Round #2
Simon K 2 - 3 Garry C
Steve E 4 - 6 Garry C
Garry C 4 - 2 Kostas O

This stressfully close scoreline was repeated in my second round tie with Mr King. If I remember rightly I was on top until Si achieved two goals in quick succession out of nothing. One a "goal" that was clearly wide and the other sponsored by BP, given the damaging spillage it came from!!! :lol: :evil: Thankfully for me I managed a thirdly to seal the victory. It took probably my best match of the night to overturn Steve, 6-4 :shock: And the round concluded in relative comfort with a whopping two goal victory margin against Costas! ;)

Round #3
Garry C 3 - 1 Simon K
Garry C 3 - 3 Steve E
Kostas O 6 - 1 Garry C

Certainly my luckiest win of the evening came against Si who was having no breaks of his own all night. :( Looking like it might end a dour 1-1, I was awarded a penalty with around 20 seconds to go. Completely demoralised I immediately after dispossessed Si from the restart to steal an undeserved 3-1 victory. :oops: I must have taken some battling spirit from this game because against Steve I was 2-3 down with barely a minute to go. Aware that I was playing well, and creating some great situations, Steve became a little jittery at the back perhaps. My pressure paid off and I nicked an equalising goal which set up the final match very nicely. I was three points clear of Steve before playing Costas. If Steve could overturn Simon, he had superior goal difference to me should I lose.

Although each one of them was close, I'd won all four competitive games against Costas but this time it was very different. Not only did the result show an emphatic 6-1 in his favour, but he won virtually every midfield 50:50 and completely dominated the game. I remember looking at the shots, seeing it was 22:4 in his favour. Why oh why did you produce your best form of the night, just as I was on the brink of taking the title!!! :lol: Fortunately Si was drinking whatever Costas was drinking, because, in a utter tourney twist, Ste also lost to a rejuvenated Si, who stormed to a stunning 9-4 victory, and he even missed a penalty I believe!!! :eeko:

Once more those fine lines between defeat and victory make all the difference. My slender 3-2 over Kostas, my late penalty winner over Si and my last minute equiliser against Ste - all of these could have been very different. Although it felt a little strange to win a title on such a losing note, I was neverthess chuffed to take top spot. :no1:

A big thanks to Steve and Donna for hosting in style, with beer, nuts, crisps and pizza helping to make us feel very much at home. Cheers matey for this and for getting the disks sorted! :) We completed an impressive 15 competitive matches in an evening :shock: , it was the end of the week, and we were naturally tired, so much so, I couldn't summon the energy to move! In the relaxed post-tourney atmosphere we chatted for ages afterwards even though I can't quite remember what we talked about! :lol: After a great night's fun it was eventually time to go but we knew we'd be meeting again in less than 24 hours time for more.....

Kostas O

Postby Kostas O » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:36 pm

No time to write more but i could fill in the gaps. We talked about the world cup and the english team in particular, i think!
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:55 pm

Ah yes, it's coming back to me now. My memory falters along with my KO2 and driving skills during the early hours!

Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:45 pm

Had a cracking weekend! The Kick Off was the icing on the cake (or rather the doughnut!)
Will post more later...
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:26 am

gdh82 wrote:
Cornelius wrote:

Thanks Cornelius. We did! And look forward to sharing some our findings soon, including winner of the golden boot! :)

Better late than never but inspired by our Koenigswinter friends, we had to try something similar! 8) I put together a quick spreadsheet and we spent 10-20 seconds after each match inputting the scorer using the goal stats displayed at full time.....

Golden Boot Winner
G. Nicholls - 27 goals - (Steve E)

Although suited more to a smaller tourney, i found it an interesting and fun exercise and is something I'd like to do again. :) Maybe another time we might record goal types even? I was going to add a few more sentences about these results here but think the topic deserves it own thread! Where do YOUR KO2 goals come from?