UK CHAMPIONSHIP 2009 |10.10.09| RESULTS & REPORTS

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderator: Moderators

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

UK CHAMPIONSHIP 2009 |10.10.09| RESULTS & REPORTS

Postby gdh82 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:35 pm

Click here for Photos

Click here for Videos

And click here for more UKC 2009 Information

UK CHAMPIONSHIPS 2009

Code: Select all

Ren A,0,Garry C,6,
Simon K,1,Robert S,5,
Steve E,8,Mandhir S,1,
Graham S,2,Jon G,12,
Andy G,5,Grant N,0,
Steve C,5,Andy E,0,
Martin B,9,Andy H,1,
Simon K,8,Ren A,0,
Steve E,5,Garry C,2,
Graham S,1,Robert S,4,
Andy G,5,Mandhir S,4,
Steve C,4,Jon G,7,
Martin B,6,Grant N,0,
Andy H,0,Andy E,3,
Ren A,0,Steve E,11,
Graham S,1,Simon K,5,
Andy G,7,Garry C,3,
Steve C,2,Robert S,5,
Martin B,3,Mandhir S,4,
Andy H,2,Jon G,5,
Andy E,5,Grant N,0,
Graham S,5,Ren A,0,
Andy G,2,Steve E,8,
Steve C,2,Simon K,2,
Martin B,4,Garry C,2,
Andy H,1,Robert S,3,
Andy E,2,Mandhir S,2,
Grant N,0,Jon G,10,
Ren A,0,Andy G,4,
Steve C,5,Graham S,1,
Martin B,3,Steve E,3,
Andy H,3,Simon K,4,
Andy E,2,Garry C,5,
Grant N,0,Robert S,9,
Jon G,8,Mandhir S,5,
Steve C,12,Ren A,0,
Martin B,3,Andy G,5,
Andy H,4,Graham S,5,
Andy E,2,Steve E,4,
Grant N,0,Simon K,6,
Jon G,7,Garry C,0,
Mandhir S,2,Robert S,11,
Ren A,0,Martin B,6,
Andy H,2,Steve C,5,
Andy E,1,Andy G,5,
Grant N,1,Graham S,4,
Jon G,9,Steve E,3,
Mandhir S,3,Simon K,3,
Robert S,5,Garry C,4,
Andy H,6,Ren A,0,
Andy E,0,Martin B,5,
Grant N,0,Steve C,8,
Jon G,5,Andy G,2,
Mandhir S,4,Graham S,3,
Robert S,1,Steve E,5,
Garry C,4,Simon K,3,
Ren A,0,Andy E,7,
Grant N,1,Andy H,1,
Jon G,8,Martin B,4,
Mandhir S,2,Steve C,6,
Robert S,4,Andy G,3,
Garry C,6,Graham S,3,
Simon K,7,Steve E,3,
Grant N,2,Ren A,1,
Jon G,3,Andy E,0,
Mandhir S,1,Andy H,1,
Robert S,4,Martin B,4,
Garry C,2,Steve C,6,
Simon K,4,Andy G,2,
Steve E,10,Graham S,3,
Ren A,0,Jon G,12,
Mandhir S,3,Grant N,0,
Robert S,3,Andy E,2,
Garry C,2,Andy H,1,
Simon K,2,Martin B,4,
Steve E,10,Steve C,2,
Graham S,0,Andy G,5,
Mandhir S,7,Ren A,0,
Robert S,3,Jon G,5,
Garry C,7,Grant N,1,
Simon K,5,Andy E,2,
Steve E,6,Andy H,0,
Graham S,3,Martin B,5,
Andy G,6,Steve C,7,
Ren A,0,Robert S,7,
Garry C,7,Mandhir S,0,
Simon K,3,Jon G,4,
Steve E,6,Grant N,2,
Graham S,1,Andy E,2,
Andy G,6,Andy H,1,
Steve C,6,Martin B,7,

Still taking it all in but a hugely enjoyable day. :) Thanks to everyone who attended for making it happen. Looking forward to piece some of these memories together in the form of a review tomorrow as well as post some piccies.

For now, BIG congratulations to Jon G on a formidable and 100% winning performance to prove his worth as UK Champion 2009 and Gold Cup Champion. :no1: :no1:A superb and richly deserved silver medal for Steve E 8) 8) 8), and Robert proved his class once more to take third place for the second year running 8). Pleased for Sid too to take the Silver Cup in a particularly exciting big screen final! :)
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Rodolfo
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Re: UK CHAMPIONSHIP 2009 |10.10.09| RESULTS

Postby Rodolfo » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:00 am

Well done all of you, but special big congratulations to Jon and Sid!
I really wish I could have been there, and I do not discard the hope of getting most of you to the WC :)

Rodolfo Martín. KO2 Player. KOA member since 2002. FEKO # 1.
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Re: UK CHAMPIONSHIP 2009 |10.10.09| RESULTS

Postby Tripod » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:06 am

Congratulations Jon for winning the prestigious double!

I also hope newcomer Ren enjoyed himself despite the inevitable beatings. We all started like that, mate!
WC Performances 2003: 28/31 - 2004: 14/43 - 2005: 17/63 - 2006: 31/50 - 2008: 12/41 - 2009: 14/34 - 2010: 24/46
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Re: UK CHAMPIONSHIP 2009 |10.10.09| RESULTS & REPORTS

Postby gdh82 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:53 am

Robert Swift wrote:I just wanted to say that I REALLY ENJOYED playing Kick Off 2 and talking with everyone today. The UK Championships are worth the effort to organize and must never be allowed to lapse into inactivity. The feeling is so different these days - all the anger and egos are gone - what's left is just a genuinely nice bunch of people having a genuinely nice time.

14 players wasn't so bad after all, either - this really felt like a full size UKC. It's just a shame James Beard didn't make it. I know Martin Beard really enjoyed himself and we stayed talking quite a while afterwards as no-one wanted to go home! There was even a half-serious suggestion of another tournament .... which was very tempting.

Great organizing there by Garry - and I think we have a good location, which we should keep using every year. The bias is definitely shifting away from the South with the disappearance of some key people down here, but Birmingham and the M5 are becoming a heartland for KO2.

Thanks for what you said in support of the UKCs, Robert. Its appreciated. :)

Equal if not more credit for the organizing goes of course to Steve E. From his fantastically creative posters, banners and avatars, the buying of the medals/trophies (he had a bit of self-interest there admittedly!), spreading the word on forums and facebook, booking the venue, to taking photos on the day, he did loads. Come to think of it, I'm not sure what I did!! hehehe Robert of course made a telling contribution with our recruitement efforts towards the end too for which we are very grateful. There's nobody in the KOA that butt-kicks things into action like you mate and your eloquent posting about the future of the UKCs was timely and necessary.

Whoever organises next year, I'd agree that this is a great venue and location, and the growing number of midlands players does support a central location. We'll see.

Right now I feel like the day after a cup final when my team has won. I'm pleased the organising is over and now enjoying the memories of a fine day with friends and a barrel load of KO2 fun. :) Thanks once again to EVERYONE for making the day what it was. 8)
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:13 am

While the memories are still fresh, here's my UKC 2009 tourney report (sorry its a little long) .....

Ren A,0,Garry C,6,
My UKC kicked off against debutant Ren. I imagine like most of us your first tourney is a bitter-sweet experience (ukc'06 was for me :shock: ) The thrill of playing the great game tempered by the often relentless defeats. To his credit, it seemed that Ren took his defeats on the chin and with an impressively laid back attitude. I hope you find motivation in the losses and this is just the beginning! You'd be welcome here at the KOA. I hear btw your sole league goal amazingly came from a free-kick and you were so close to your first KOA point, were it not for a injury time winner for your opponent.

Steve E,5,Garry C,2,
I felt like a mere rung on Steve's ladder to better things in this tie! There was a focus about Steve's play evident from his first measure-measure-measure picking the spot for his first shot which unsurprisingly smashed against the back of the net. Even though I hoped to see you take the title, I nevertheless wanted to beat you in this fixture! :evil: Try as I might, I never really troubled you - unfortunately for me! Hope you're enjoying the enormity of your achievement; UKC 2009 runner-up and Gold Cup Finalist is some way to go! 8) 8) 8)

Jon G,7,Garry C,0,
This'll sound like a complete contradiction but but I'd like to think this was a hard fought 7-0 victory! :lolo: I was trailing only something like 0-2 at HT and creating some chances but each time failing to convert them. Jon's unrelenting precision wingplay ultimately brought rewards through quality diagonal and cross goal finishing. Like you said, if there was any doubt cast over your goal difference clinching title last year, this time your champion status is unequivocal! You set the bar even higher for all those that wish you challenge you. :no1: Well played my KOBRA friend.

Andy G,7,Garry C,3,
In an uncanny echo of our London International encounter, I again established a comfortable position only to capitulate in the second half. I was 3-0 and seemingly on top and still felt confident when Andy got a goal back. I then conceeded two cheap goals (defender failed to clear the ball; and being dispossessed from a keeper throw-out) before Andy showed some real quality in really punishing me 7-3. I admire your deliberate approach play, clinical finishing and know there's even more to come from you yet. On top of that, your enthusiasm for the great game and the UKCs enthuses me too! :)

Garry C,6,Graham S,3,
Graham's KO2 reminds me of myself. He's definately got goals in his locker but like me is sometimes guilty of letting games slip. At HT I was 1-3 down and I knew I had a fight on my hands. I took something from my defeat against Andy G into this match, thinking how matches can be turned on their head. Two quick second half goals steadied my ship thankfully and put me on course to win a battle of a game. It's always 'interesting' to play you 'cause its never easy mate! :eeko:

Garry C,7,Grant N,1,
I was taking no chances against Grant then who kidded it was harsh of me to score so early! :lol: Prior to the tourney I remember you saying on the forum that your mission today was to avoid the wooden spoon and really pleased that you did so claiming both a victory and a draw in the process! This is exactly how most of us start and I've no doubt further improvement is just around the corner. Hopefully see you at the next KOBRA/KOOHL event. :)

Garry C,7,Mandhir S,0,
My comments about my match against Jon G could equally apply to Sid in this match. He started on fire, peppering my goal with shots and he would have taken the lead had it not been for the woodwork and some Fisher heroics. By contrast when I managed to attack my shots just seem to be going in and this pattern continued to give a very flattering scoreline. Glad to see that you bounced back later in the league and cup. You took Martin's scalp in the league before becoming the Silver Cup Champion! I told you could do it mate!!! :no1:

Robert S,5,Garry C,4,
Robert plays an intelligent game, is both cultured but doesn't shy away from the dirty work of KO lobbing either. It seems to me that he often begins with 532, carves out a lead before cementing the victory with some LOCKOUT based attacking. It certainly worked against me but I was pleased at least to give him some kind of run for his money with a series of late goals that closed the gap. Well played Rob is taking the bronze once more - another solid quality performance. 8) 8)

Martin B,4,Garry C,2,
This was an enjoyably tight encounter. As with Rob I knew I had to be at my best to have any chance against Martin. He may not be the most active of KO2 players but his class is undeniable. Always in the lead in this match, I managed to level 1-1 and 2-2, though my second equiliser came about because of a keeper spill. Martin's annoyance at this Fisher f**K-up lead to some joystick slamming for which a replacement was immediately needed!!! :shock: I sensed a chance of an upset but despite hitting the post twice could not exploit the moment. Martin regained his composure soon enough though to secure a victory but I still enjoyed this fighting defeat! Well played mate on a fantastic 4th spot in the league too. 8)

Garry C,2,Steve C,6,
I felt unusually confident that I had a chance in this because I'd beaten Mr Camber in the Gold Cup QF but this was Steve's revenge! Scoring from all manner of angles and positions, there was no stopping him. No argument - the 3 points were his this time. Whether winning or losing, playing Steve is a pleasure to play against and love your obvious enjoyment of KO2 and all its mad and funny moments! So glad you made it despite the worklife/homelife juggling that I know is involved. Tell your daughter Abigail she is a little star. I was really impressed how she got on with the day despite being surrounded by a bunch of KO2 nuts! And tell her if she comes to another such tourney I'll definitely invite my youngest Ellie - I'm sure the two of them would be great company for each other.

Garry C,2,Andy H,1,
This match was squeaky bum time and scariest victory of the day, that's for sure. :eeko: After a tight opening I managed a precarious 1-0 lead which remained in the balance for a large portion of the game. I made it 2-0 second half only for you to strike back and crank up the tension once more. Of all my 13 matches, I was probably most relieved to hear the final whistle in this one. Its gets harder every time against you Andy and I'm absolutely dreading our next encounter! :)

Garry C,4,Simon K,3,
My pen-ultimate game against my sparring partner from yesteryear. Neither of us wanted to lose this one! :evil: First blood to Si who converted a free-kick (Sh*t, it's gonna be one of those, I thought to myself). In spite of this I had a lively first half and felt I was playing well but the half still ended 2-2 or something like this. Feeling 'up' for this one I managed to just edge in front 4-3 with about two minutes to go. Si wasn't giving up but thankfully my defence and my keeper in particular clung on tightly to a precious three points. Arguably this was a hollow victory however since Si still finished in 7th spot (one place above me) in the league, impressively taking the scalps of Steve E, Andy G and drawing with Steve C. Your excellent form continues in your best UKC yet (b*st*rd!) 8)

Andy E,2,Garry C,5,
At the tired end of the tournament, what an entertaining final game this was! What is it with the name Andy but every Andy I play gives me trouble! I happened to see your match imediately before this one where you lead against and gave Steve E a real headache so I knew I was in for a challenge. Although I think I was in front for much of this match, the margins were always narrow. I remember some killer defending from both sides, with blocks and trapping the ball to stop otherwise certain goals. A great and even match in which I only managed to push ahead with decisive goals late on, but not sure its good for the heart! :lol:

Overall then I was really pleased with my performances, which I felt had a greater consistency to them for once. I was less like a rollercoaster and more like a bumper-car! :) I felt sturdier and won matches I'd hoped to (but not presumed to). With an 8th spot finish, I managed to bump off all 6 players below me in the league but 6 of the 7 players above me (Simon K was my biggest league scalp!) all stopped me in my tracks. Like Robert said there was a good spirit about yesterday's UKCs and I felt a shared feeling that together we can all keep these events going! Hope so. :)

Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:24 pm

Congrats to Rob for keeping up his "NOT winning the UKC's" streak. Goodonyabuddy. ;)

Most of all, Congrats to my main man; SID!!! ffs.
-----------------------------
Jørn F.M.
Founding member of FÖKOF (and FAKO).
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Wayne's and Nick's Carreer Ender
Manager of The People's Lockout!
Il portiere è mongoloide!
Yoda
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Yoda » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:43 pm

Cheers to Gaz & Evil for all the great organisation, and thanks to everyone else for beating me so graciously (especially Robert who gave me advice, tips and hints all the way through the 9-0. it really was a KO2 lesson)

Steve E & Si. One of these days, lads, one of these days. If we could play PM rules and have 6min games maybe?

Apologies to Ren for winning with the last kick of the match. It may have been my first KOA victory but it didn't taste as sweet squeezing through like that.

Cheers again y'all.

Grant
Logos

Postby Logos » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:06 pm

Ok back home and rested, so let me start by saying: Steve and Garry, thank you very much for taking the time and effort to organise what was a fantastic event! With your passion and dedication the UK KOA is in safe hands.

Congratulations to Jon G! This guy is a world class player, he has all the tools to reach the top of this game. I was also impressed by the way he handled the immense pressure on his shoulders, so he has the mental strength too. This was a tough league, he went through it unbeaten and won it in style. Well done mate! Now get your arse over to Voitsberg!

The event had some thrilling moments for me, as well as painful defeats, which kept the level excitement at a high throughout. Here are some overriding impressions:

Steve E also proved to be a cut above the rest in this event. I felt he was seriously improved since Luton. His noPBD dribbling skills were awesome and unfortunately for me I was taught a noPBD dribbling lesson! If he continues in this form he'll be in the same league as Jon very soon. 2-8, 3-6

Robert S was a tough nut to crack this time around. I was schooled in the art of switching, Lockout and a killer kick off lob in this one! I feel Robert could go very far in Voitsberg if he can keep his composure as he has all the tools. 3-4

Garry C, I feel could be up there with Steve E. His 532 play is deadly. At 0-3 down I truly thought the game was over, don't ask me how I came back to score 7 goals in the second half, maybe a channeled Dagh!? 7-3

Simon K, as with Garry, Simon could be up there with Steve E i feel, both these guys need to be more consistant throughout, then they will be serious contenders. The games we had were fun and bloody nerve-racking. 2-4, 6-2

Martin B, hasn't played for ages, turns up and makes a serious challenge. No surprise really, he is a world class player, it was a real joy to play against his swash buckling 433 style. Get over to Voitsberg! 5-3

Steve C, had I won this game I would have finished 4th! I didn't! I was chasing the game from the start. I think I was 5-2 down at one point, but managed to claw back a respectable: 6-7. Steve's a class player with a distinctive style and finshing, he could also do well this November.

Jon G, a rare 424 v 424 battle for me, which I enjoyed very much, we had a small crowd and Jon handled the jeers and pressure from behind very well! He is a great 424 player and true champion. 2-5

Also, hello and thank you to Grant, Graham, the Andys and Sid, all games were fun and it was nice to be with such a nice bunch of people for the day.

Overall, a thrilling day with many KO2 lessons learnt. Can't wait for the next one, but before that I'll need to work out how to unlock lockout and breakdown class 532 players. I'm also gonna have a go at noPBD as Steve, Simon and Garry's play really impressed me. Ren, says hi and many thanks too!

Cheers!
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:26 pm

Big congrats to JonG! From looking like it might not happen, the UK Champs was a massive success - although it didnt have the same climactic ending as last time but it showed everyone that despite not playing Kick Off much in 2009, JonG has actually got better since the last champs!
Had a very hectic weekend along with the UK Champs so will post my review during the week but all in all, I'm very pleased to have got the 2nd place. :)
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:52 am

Had a great time!

Many thanks to the organisers, the tireless efforts really paid off.

Congratulations to Jon of course, a worthy champion. I thought at one point I could ruin his day, but he had other plans ;)
Great to see some new faces, especially those at the bottom on the table. Thanks especially to Ren for helping me shake the rust off my joystick with a 12-0 game, sorry!

Many of the games are a blur now, but the 6-7 game with Martin stands out for me. I had barber sent off in the 3rd minute which made for a tense, amazing battle as I switched to 424 and we traded goal after goal right up to the final whistle. :D
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer - Ranked somewhere waaaay down the list
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :)
Robert Swift

Postby Robert Swift » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:54 am

Steve, sounds you should play 424 more often.

Anyhow, this tournament once again confirms that I am the third best (active) KO2 player in the UK. Third seems to be the highest I can achieve; I have done this three times now (Nottingham/Birmingham/Birmingham), with a couple of 4th place (Sheffield/Manchester) and a couple of 6th place (Gloucester/Stoke). Arguably my best position was second, in Reading, but this is clouded by the presence of non-UK players (Alkis, Gianni, Michael O) occupying top spots and pushing myself and Jon G down. Overall then, it's difficult to see how I can ever win this tournament. There always seem to be a couple of better people around and, even if they retire (like Martin J, Trevor D, Dan Cross and of course Richard Har-per-w0n-ka) then it seems some more people have to EMERGE and over take me (e.g. Jon G, Steve E). Indeed it's well worth looking at Jon G's early performances, like Sheffield, where he turned up and got spanked - same for Steve E - and these should provide the perfect morale boost to folks that got mauled on Saturday. We all know that Waynie thinks you should be able to go from noob to champion in 2-3 years, but there are 6 years between Jon G's early appearance at Sheffield and the dominating performance he put in this weekend. Unfortunately, for myself, I don't see that I can become better - only adapt to maintain this level - and my prediction is that Andy G will be winning this tournament within 2 years.

From a personal results and performance point of view, I'm now satisfied that my game has adapted, evolved and repaired itself following the dreadful World Cup last November. The process I put into place in the later Newents and the London International is nearing completion. Indeed, all I need is a month's training on KO2 with slides and I will be ready for the World Cup.

As an overview, W10-D1-L2 is a good outcome, despite the fact that many of the wins were very narrow and had to be ground out. Grinding out is good; 3 points are everything. Grinding out is what I failed to against people like Kostas Ka and Stainy in World Cups. Grinding is a skill. I had no hope of matching the goal difference of Jon G so I decided to focus from the start on avoiding slip-ups. In the old days (and before WC Athens) I was always very efficient at beating the people I *should* beat, but unable to get beyond opponents of true eliteness. I found this a little frustrating; more recently though I had developed the ability to beat better players but at the same time lose to very average ones. Now this second option may sound quite interesting but, unfortunately, if you cannot grind out 100% of the games you should win, you then don't get the opportunity to play the top players.

In terms of goal scoring, overall during the day I was very efficient at converting chances. I can't really think of any big misses except, perhaps, what could have been the decisive 4th goal against MJB. Now you may look at the table and say that my goals scored was pretty average, but this comes against a backdrop of playing up to 50% of the day on Lockout. I decided to pursue a strategy rather like the Italian international football team; that is, to avoid conceding the first goal, and once you do score, to avoid letting your opponent back in the game. This ultra-cautious approach can be seen in the very low number of goals I conceded.

The bad news for my opponents in the World Cup is that I have now developed efficient ways of scoring using Lockout. Woohoo! Indeed I wonder whether I was actually scoring more heavily using this than 532. My theory is that Lockout has twice the attacking power of 532. In 532, you have a single attacking player. In Lockout, you have two!

I won't say much more about the tactics I employed, but for those 'in the know' I would say that I have learned very heavily from that draw I had with Knut. Three games were won by a single goal margin, and in each of these I scored at least once from the Kick Off. If you can't beat 'em, lob 'em. This was particularly sweet in the game against Andy Evil. He said before the game that his objective was to get at least one desk punch from me; I was 2-1 up on Lockout for a very long time but eventually his hard attacking paid off for 2-2. However I simply lobbed back immediately from the Kick Off to restore my 3-2 lead, then continued on Lockout as before - leaving him spitting blood! No desk punch from me!

The game of the day for me was the 4-4 with Martin Beard. I went into a 3-0 lead and spurned a chance for 4th. In the second half, Martin came back strongly with robot goals and eventually went into a 4-3 lead. I had to come out of Lockout but managed to get an equalizer on 10:25. Then in the dying seconds I got a corner, but the whistle went before I could take it. It would have been unlucky for either of us to lose this game.

The only dissatisfaction I had is that I didn't give Steve E or John G better games. In both cases, I was at 1-1 and then they took the lead from 'goals' that didn't cross the line. Jon G 'scored' by hitting the outside base of the post from diagonally way out, and Steve E did a dribble that I blocked on the line, but a goal was given as despite it not crossing the line and rolling away. In both cases this kind of fucked my strategy because I had to come out and attack. This opened the opportunity for them to score more. I wonder what each game would have been like, had I stayed on Lockout at 1-2, or even taken the 2-1 lead myself. To be fair to Steve E, I wonder whether he saved his best performance of the day for me. He seemed first to everything. This is weird as he was pretty poor in both games against Jon G. I'm finding Steve E a very frustrating opponent now. I seem to get regular wins in Newent and KOOHL tournaments. Indeed our overall head-to-head is still positive for me. But in three crucial games now, he's won when it counted; UKC08, WC08, UKC09. I am disappointed that Steve Evil won't make it to the World Cup, but looking at that record I have to say I am not sad to avoid playing him in it.

About Jon G, he must have felt like a false champion two years in a row now; for some time he's been the UK No.1 but in Reading Gianni won, and last year, both Steve and I had the same points and his win was secured famously on goal difference. Well, this year he left no room whatsoever for doubt. That 13-0-0 against a strong set of opponents is not down to luck. Jon was simply way better than everybody else. This was a Gianni/Dagh-esque kind of crushing; you only see 13-0-0 in the Italian or Scandinavian Championships, never in the Greek or German ones. For me, the difference with Jon G's game this year is that he seemed to defend in a Klaus-like-424 way. That is to say that, wherever you were on the pitch, if you held the ball for more than a second, a player would appear and somehow steal it from you. This would be followed up by an attack that would - for some reason - go in. Jon G's goals are not as stylish as a Klaus or a Gianni but they sure as hell are regular. Drip, drip, drip, they just wear you down... there is nowhere to hide from them.

Anyhow, the good news is that Jon G showed signs of interest in the World Cup. Certainly, I think that if he doesn't come, this will be an opportunity missed. He played in Rickmansworth 06 but back then he was only an average player. Since becoming UK No.1 we haven't seen him in a World Cup. He may have looked average in Luton (when he finished below Steve E) but this weekend's performance was something different - at least 20% better - and in his own words 'sheer perfection' (modest too!) If he can reproduce this in a month's time, who knows what could happen.... we know he can beat Gianni. Let's hope that both Jon, and Martin Beard, both submit to persuasion and come to the World Cup. As, frankly, I don't see that Steve C, Durban or I can be relied upon to make it to the QF's .... we'll do our best of course!
dnielsen

Postby dnielsen » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:18 am

For the busy reader, here is the recap of the UKC 2009 Swift Chronicles:

Lockout and Lob, just to be sure. :wink:

Just kidding, man, it was a really great read, and it's great to see that you had such a good tournament that you can look back on with a smile when you are sweating in the Arab desert. I really hope your "adaption efforts" will culminate in an extraordinary performance in Voitsberg, to wash away the disappointments in Athens.

Also great to read the other reports, it looks like you all had a good time!

And, not to forget: Congrats, Jon!!! :no1: :no1: :no1: I suspect you are fast approaching your goal of entering the world top-5, and it's just a matter of you going to Voitsberg in order for you to also have a shot at entering the world top-1. It's also great to see that there will always be more and more chronically improving players who will make sure that the top will stay diversified and unpredictable.

Steve Evil, good to see that you keep proving to be the guy to look out for when it counts, with ever improving results! Even under organizer syndrome pressure! You and Garry really proved yourselves an invaluable asset with what seems to be a perfectly organized event from an outside view.

A shout-out to Logos, what an amazing battlefield you were up against, with some very good scalps for you! Also a shout-out to Ren, don't worry, you have a very good time ahead of you where you can laugh with your victories over players who punished the newbie this time around! Hahaha, you brutes just wait and see... :P
Robert Swift

Postby Robert Swift » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:29 am

I'd like to think I have more to offer than Lockout and Lob, but at least I can offer Lockout and Lob now. :-)