UK CHAMPIONSHIP 2009 | 10.10.09 | ATTENDANCE thread

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderator: Moderators

Robert Swift

Re: UK CHAMPIONSHIP 2009 | 10.10.09 | ATTENDANCE thread

Postby Robert Swift » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:45 pm

Right...

1) What is your name
2) Send me a Private Message with your phone number
3) Don't make any plans for 10th October....you're coming to the UK Championships! :)
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Re: Hello!!

Postby gdh82 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:00 pm

R. A. Scott wrote:I hope to attend an event in the future.

One thing i want to know, if anyone can help me, is who is the other player on the cover -art for Kick Off 2? Andy Gray (of Palace, formerly of the mighty Villa) is one of them, but who is the other?

Maximum respect to everyone on this site, and its nice to know so many others were bitten and remain bitten by the Kick Off 2 bug!!

Welcome to the KOA, Mr Scott! :) You'll gonna love this place.

I can't answer your cover-art query but your reference to the 'mighty Villa' suggests you might be a fellow midlander ? Is that right ? If so, we'll beam you up to a tourney real soon!!! 8)
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
kofoed
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby kofoed » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:24 pm

Hugo Sanchez Mexican striker,
used to play for Real Madrid, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_S%C3%A1nchez
Last edited by kofoed on Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Played 8 World Cups
2001:10th(out of 30), 2002:19th(26), 2006:21st(50), 2008:25th(41), 2009:10th(34), 2010: 11th(46), 2014: 11th(26) 2015 8th(38).
dnielsen

Postby dnielsen » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:26 pm

Welcome aboard! Kick Off 2 (and Google!) is indeed a unique gift to mankind!

To me, discovering the KOA was almost like a quasi-religious experience! Just when the time is right, something that has been lying dormant within us will be activated again, or finally find full expression. :P

There is a lot of KO2 talk and material in the forum. You can pretty much just start reading from the top in any of the sub-forums to satisfy any appetite for more and yet more. Please don't be afraid to jump in and join any conversation!

Besides looking for off-line tournaments to join, you are also more than welcome to join us in the chat channel and give some online KO2 a go!

PS. The guy in the picture is Hugo Sanchez:

dnielsen

Postby dnielsen » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:27 pm

What Jacob said! :lol: :lol: :lol:
kofoed
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby kofoed » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:28 pm

:lol:
Played 8 World Cups
2001:10th(out of 30), 2002:19th(26), 2006:21st(50), 2008:25th(41), 2009:10th(34), 2010: 11th(46), 2014: 11th(26) 2015 8th(38).
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:46 pm

Great to have another new enthusiastic member :) How'd you find the place mate?
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
R. A. Scott
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby R. A. Scott » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:44 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for your welcomes!

Hugo Sanchez! Thanks, i've always wondered.

I cant remember the route i took through the internet to find this site, sorry, just idle browsing, but when i found it I felt like i'd stumbled upon the lost City of Gold!

My name is Charlie, I live in Erdington, Birmingham, and I'm a Villa fan. Interesting to read that the Midlands is a bit of a Kick Off 2 hot spot.

Kick Off 2 on-line?! sounds amazing but i'd need to get hold of an 'amiga style' 8 directional joystick for my PC.
Do you guys play on PC with the keyboard?

My joystick of choice is a Super Pro Zip Stick, black with yellow buttons. Its lasted a long time. My mate uses a pink and green Cruiser.

As this is the tournament thread some questions about tournaments:

Are the off-line tournament games always International v International?

Does anyone use their own tactics, or tactics from 'Winning Tactics' ?

what about teams created in Player Manager? I've got a few different teams on data disks who are better than the 'International' teams. ( i used to save the game at the end of the season, and re-load from that point if the 'summer' failed to generate any good 18 year olds. I would go back and re-load for ages until a couple of 800k plus 18 year olds appeared!)

I could get Alex Reeves to score regularly even when over 40 years old by doing the 'pull back stick chip' from the 'D', the ball would sail over the keeper. Even better when doing it at a diagonal angle. Also Alex Reeves would be lethal at attacking corners!

Is it random ref? When i play my mate i always pick S. Screech, otherwise my mate tries to cripple my best players right from the kick off. R.J. Fernandez isnt strong enough. He also has perfected 'diving', tempting me into a slide tackle, then directing his player to run into my tackle, even turning back or running away from the ball to do so!

My mate loves Barrett at number 7 (he always imagines Barrett is Tony Daley, who was a lightning Villa winger from 1986-94)

I find him a bit unpredictable and would rather play R.A. Scott at 7. Barrett cant kick the ball straight!

I think this is because the stat that governs kick accuracy is the Passing stat. Ami right? I never use the 'hold and release' shoot system, so the Shooting stat isnt important for my strikers. I would guess that Barrett's passing stat is pretty low. I use the hold and release control system for some passing, but does anyone use the 'hold and release' control system for shooting?

Down the leagues, R. Shaw and I. Wright i use as #10s in 4-3-3, R. Cox at #5 in the Div 3 or 4 team is a good player too.

Kick Off 2 Extra Time was good, but my copy broke ages ago. I remember the added sound effects : 'Come on Palace , come on palace' fans singing when a team got a free kick or corner, the odd 'flick ball up in the air' control, and the very hard to pull off 'over head kick' (a-la Hugo Sanchez!) control.

i'm babbling!
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:46 pm

Can't keep up with all these questions, Charlie, but like your enthusiasm! :lol: 8)

For now though, check out this thread which outlines the key rules for a game to be 'official'.

More KO2 players in Brum - great news! :) Pity you support the Vile tho. :P

I live in Kings Norton btw. And a Bluenose!

Gaz
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

Yoda
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Yoda » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:45 pm

Hi Charlie

I think I posted half of those questions in my first post too :lol:

You can get yourself a USB Amiga style joystick for about £25 inc p+p from Germany. Mine arrived a couple of weeks ago, but haven't tried it out yet. There is a good thread somewhere with links, just need to search (sorry I'm too lazy and hungry at this point) Keyboard is not worth the hassle, I gave up on that after a couple of games.

Gaz, for the UKC, you can add me to the confirmed list. Hope that doesn't make me No 13 - don't want to get injured when still trying to get the foot mended. This means I won't be playing 5-a-side for a couple of months, for what its worth

Name : Grant N
Attending: Yes
Equipment: Might have a cable that can be put to use, what do you need? No Amiga or monitor though.
dnielsen

Postby dnielsen » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:51 pm

Hi Charlie,

Indeed, it is like the Lost City of Gold! I bet there are thousands upon thousands of people with the fondest memories of Kick Off 2 from their youth, and who just haven't stumbled upon the idea of googling such a childhood memory from the days before the Intarwebnets were invented. I stumbled upon this community in 2005, but I was in a doze and busy with other things, so I didn't give it a second thought. Only 3 years later would I dive in and join the fun. When the time is right the time is right!

To address some of your questions and comments:

Online KO2 is live and well! We indeed play with proper joysticks. There are two ways to go about this, one is to buy an adaptor for your old Amiga stick, the other is to buy a remake of the Competition Pro joystick with a USB port for the PC. Detailed info about playing KO2 on a PC with a proper joystick is here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15424

And info about playing online is here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15384

There is some "joystick delay" when playing online due to the internet ping between players, but it is not too bad. I live in Denmark and can hardly play with a guy from Greece, but playing with a guy from England is great, and when playing against a Swede just next by, the feeling is almost indistinguishable from playing on an Amiga. Playing online is a great way to get into the action again, and to practice between tournaments played on real Amigas. Oh, and we're having a lot of fun too!

I used the black/yellow Zipstick like you before changing to the Arcade Turbo, way back then. I reckon you would also feel well with the black/red Competition Pro which was pretty much a twin of the Zipstick, though probably regarded by some people as a slicker version. Btw, I last saw the pink/green Cruiser in action when I visited Milan for some KO2 action! However, no matter how much care we put into choosing our joystick, nothing will ever beat the Kickobot!

With regard to tournament playing modes, there just is some historical precedence. When the first World Cup was arranged in 2001, it was suitable to find some kind of common denominator, and something that would be practical from a "getting things done in time" point of view. Now, by tradition, the WC is played with International A vs. International B, no line-up changes allowed. This has developed into some kind of default mode for most tournaments being arranged. However, there are also groups of players who occasionally have fun with playing with the national teams (Germany, England, Scotland, etc.).

Player Manager teams and tactics have pretty much never been used in tournaments. It's not that there are no fans of these aspects of the game, but it's a hard sell when you want to invite also people who haven't spent time on this kind of stuff. One amusing anecdote is that way back in 91 or so, there was a huge Italian Championship being arranged, with local qualifiers and a huge final. There was a small band of players who pested the organizers in advance with questions about whether PM tactics would be allowed, and perhaps because of this, the organizers caved in and allowed them. In the end, one guy from that band named Luigi won the championship. Now quick forward to 2004, and Luigi returns to KO2 and becomes vice-world-champ! It may seem like a limitation, but there is also some charm in just dealing with the standard tactics, with their flaws and all. Anyway, in 2007, Steve Camber made it possible for us to dynamically choose the 4 "extra tactics" (Falcon, Lockout, Blitz, Balanced), and now it is standard to also include these tactics in tournaments.

Two "go-to" guys about PM teams and tactics are Robert and Alkis.

About referees, and intentional fooling, one silly discussion thread is this one:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15366&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Where I put forward a view similar to yours. Don't read too far in that thread though, if you have a delicate nervous system :lol:

About diving, there is a legendary incident:

In continuation of that, some amusing discussions followed about whether Gianluca missed by purpose and hit the bar just to, you know, prove his point. :lol:

About Barrett and Scott, and the passing/shooting system:

I am not sure if we are talking about the same Scott, as my Scott, like Barrett, also never seems to be able to shoot the ball straight! :lol:

The shooting stat governs how straight players shoot, and the passing stat governs how precisely (direction and speed) players pass when you "hold and release". You can find the stats of all players in Aftertouch magazine 3:

http://www.alkis.org/External/Aftertouch3.pdf

The "hold and release shot" seems to be a special event that occurs when a player tries a pass (hold and release), but there is no player to pass to in the chosen direction. Then he makes some kind of shot, but I don't think this shot is governed by the shooting stat as it never seems to be too far off from straight. This type of shot is probably only really used effectively when you make a "stop'n'goal" shot through the keeper.

R.Shaw is obviously a favorite player of choice from way back then! When you play with the national teams, his speed is just unparalleled, and his shot is quite good too. Such a shame that he gets so easily injured!

I'm babbling too!
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:18 pm

Yoda wrote:Name : Grant N
Attending: Yes
Equipment: Might have a cable that can be put to use, what do you need? No Amiga or monitor though.

Over the moon, I am! Superb news Yoda. :)

Don't worry about numbers mate, you are one of the UKC Class of 2009! 8) 8) 8)

PS We may need a cable that links an amiga to a projector so we can have big-screen games but I don't know exactly what type unfortunately. If you have anything that might work please bring it.

Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:43 pm

Charlie...I used to live in Erdington myself and it's brilliant that you'v found this forum.

There are a few ways you could get around the issue of needing a joystick. One way as Grant said is to get a USB joystick but another way is to simply purchase an original Amiga/Atari joystick. But how would I connect this to the PC I hear you ask?
You purchase a joystick adaptor...this site used to do em. http://www.sensiblesoccer.de but ebay has them too I believe.

Great thing about doing this is that you can use the same joystic online that you would on the Amiga. In my experience, the USB ones are very unwieldly when compared to the original Amiga ones.

Sounds like you'r a massive fan mate and you'v found KO2 Nirvana! Looks like there's gonna be plenty of local tournaments in the Midlands in 2010 (a shock I know! :lol: )
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place