KONC I 17.01.09 | RESULTS on Page 2

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderator: Moderators

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Re: KONC I 17.01.09 Sunday

Postby gdh82 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:55 pm

What Steve said! Much appreciated Gra for inviting us into your home for this memorable tourney launch. 8)

Slight shame that John and Paul were unable to make it in the end but with KONC now established, hopefully they'll be there next time.

Understand too that the results are taking a little longer as we were using of pen and paper last night, but look forward all the more to seeing the table later on! :wink: :)
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
suttydroitwich
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Re: KONC I 17.01.09 Sunday Results on page 2

Postby suttydroitwich » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:28 pm

Code: Select all

Simon K,3,Graham S,4,
Steve E,1,Garry C,3,
Steve E,5,Simon K,2,
Garry C,5,Graham S,2,
Simon K,1,Garry C,1,
Graham S,3,Steve E,3,

Graham S,1,Simon K,2,
Garry C,3,Steve E,5,
Simon K,3,Steve E,2,
Graham S,3,Garry C,6,
Garry C,5,Simon K,1,
Steve E,2,Graham S,1,

Simon K,5,Graham S,3,
Steve E,3,Garry C,3,
Steve E,0,Simon K,6,
Garry C,4,Graham S,3,
Simon K,4,Garry C,4,
Graham S,1,Steve E,5,
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Re: KONC I 17.01.09 Sunday Results on page 2

Postby gdh82 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:40 pm

After finishing bottom in my last tourney, my hopes weren't the highest for this one. The omens weren't looking good either when in my warm-up match against Si (who, incidentally, had been on the beer for half the day after a christening) thumped me 3-6!!! :cryo:

ROUND #1
Simon K,1,Garry C,1,
Garry C,3,Steve E,5,
Garry C,5,Graham S,2,

With no ready access to a pc, we didn't have Bbob's excellent fixture program to guide us so opted to stay where we were so I played Si for my tourney opener. After my 'friendly' thumping I was all over the place in this match and in the end was pleased to take a 1-1 draw. I tried to start afresh against Steve E and tried to put from my mind that I've managed to beat him just once in the last 10 competitive matches or so. True to form and Steve's superior class, he pulled away in the second half to deservedly claim another victory. Although the table doesn't do him justice, Gra is very difficult opponent. Fortunately for me though, this match proved to be the turning point in my night and was my first victory of the tournament. Perhaps an indication of the tight battles to come, all 4 players ended the first round with W1 D1 L1 ! :eeko:

ROUND #2
Garry C,5,Simon K,1,
Steve E,1,Garry C,3,
Graham S,3,Garry C,6,

All winners perhaps need a little luck to help them on their way and my second round tie with Si was undoubtedly my luckiest match of the night. :D It was one of those games which just had my name written on it. Si would have great spells of possession and then I'd go up the other end and score seeminly without trying. Much to his dismay, the three points just kinda fell into my lap with a 5-1 scoreline. Victories breed confidence of course and I felt extra determined against Steve this time around. Evil himself was on fire and in the first half shot after shot rained in my goal but thankfully my keeper (and his right hand post in particular) somehow kept him out??? After gaining a slender lead through a first half penalty I began the second with something to hold on to and felt I raised my game and managed to extend my lead further. Even then I wasn't confident of the win and the final whistle couldn't come soon enough. Eventually it did with the score at 3-1 and I claimed a rare victory against Mr E. I was on a roll now and against Gra I went on to complete a 100% second round performance and four consecutive wins!!!! 8)

ROUND #3
Simon K,4,Garry C,4,
Steve E,3,Garry C,3,
Garry C,4,Graham S,3,

Si wasn't having the best of nights up until now so adopted a different and more aerial style of attack for our final match. For most of the game he lead and mid-way through the second half was 3-1 up and cruising it seemed. Once again goals were coming easy to me and with barely 10 seconds were on the clock it looked like I might have snatched it 4-3. Si however had the last laugh and his KO LOB managed to squeeze in under the bar and seconds before the final whistle blew. Just before our final tie, Steve remarked 'in all innocence' that the result of our game could prove pivotal to the night's outcome. Alex Ferguson would be proud of your lose-this-and-your-f***ed mindgames but I know your evil ways by now mate! :) Maybe this spurred me on but I had the best start to any match all night and took an early 2-0 lead and was feeling dominant. This extended to 3-1 but Steve never knows when he's beaten and showed his class to level it 3-3. We both had one more chance each before time was called and the points shared.

Having all our results jotted on a piece of paper and tally chart for a table, I was more detached than usual about league positions all night and this was probably a good thing. Gra however told me with one game to play I was 2 points clear of Steve who's final game was against Si. A draw against Gra could be enough but then again nobody knew the goal differences!!! :lol: On the back of a series of defeats, Gra was lacking in a little self-belief even though he's a much better player than he was giving himself credit for. An early goal for me was the last thing Gra wanted to see but this got me on my way. Meanwhile, almost to diminish the importance of my match, Si was on the rampage against Steve. This was all going too well for me! At 4-1 up I felt comfortable but Gra struck back with two more goals and at 4-3 I was grateful to cross the finish line. Si wasn't having any wobbles though and notched up what must be his result of the night to beat Steve 6-0 and claim the runners-up spot on goal difference!

Credit to Steve who was first to congratulate me on my tourney success. Of course I was pleased but more that I was surprised! Not having a league table to re-assure me added to my disbelief and then the guys quipped we might have to do a re-count on the tally chart league!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still, I can see the proof now and even though I'm not quite sure how, I shall enjoy my moment..... :gban: :gban: :gban:

'KOBRAMAN CONQUERS KONC I'
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Re: KONC I 17.01.09 | RESULTS on Page 2

Postby Bounty Bob » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:40 pm

Well played Garry, excellent win.
Robert

Postby Robert » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:37 pm

Well done outscoring Steve Evil there Garry! Competition is going to be tough in Luton.
dnielsen

Postby dnielsen » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:28 am

Congrats, Garry! That makes you among the 8 best in the world, at least until the next tournament!
goalkeeper

Postby goalkeeper » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:45 am

Look like a funny tournament 8)

I think when you host your first tournament it is more important all guest feel fine than your own KO2 performance. And i´m shure Graham did a great job, also a victory and 25 goals show that the big points will follow at KONCII with a little bit more routine in hosting and playing.
I´m surprised about Steve, but one goal difference is damn close.
Nice to see Simon is on a good way!
Is the standing post in wrong direction? :lol: Garry mate, i know you will ride up again the rollercoaster, but direct take a loop is fantastic :gban: King Konc Garry rules :)
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:02 pm

Cheers fellas - appreciate your posts. :)

Even though top-80 is probably more accurate, I like your line of thinking, Dagh! ;) And you're right, Volker, this is my 'up' phase of the rollercoaster ride and I'm gonna have a bit of fun with it too!

Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:58 pm

Had a great tournament with some memorable games and laughs. My fave game of the evening was probably the 3rd game with Gaz where I needed to win but then found myself 3-1 down. Then we I finally managed to claw it back to 3-3 we both had our moment of panic when firstly I was nearly through but Gaz cleared and then he nearly went up the other end and scored!

God knows what happened in that final game with Si! He achieved a fine balance of relaxation and vigilance to just wipe the floor with me. Despite my best efforts he was scoring for fun and he could have had seven in the end!

Was laughing at the game with Graham where I fouled him three times in the box and the ref never gave a penalty! :lol: In our first game I was fortunate to win. Having been 2-0 up I then found myself 3-2 down and with a little luck, I got the equaliser.

After my many tournaments recently where I'v been slowly accumulating ranking points, it was nice to share them out with my B'ham pals :lol:
Kudos to Gaz for not only navigating the Motorway, the side roads of Worcester and Suttys drive hehe, but to win it by some margin too. Well done mate and really appreciated the lift. :)

Can't wait for the next time Sutty! Had a great time and could easily had sunk down a few more Carling's hehe.
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
suttydroitwich
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby suttydroitwich » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:27 pm

steve.. your a cheat and you know you are! if i had won that game i still would have been bottom tho so it doesn't matter that much, I can now see where the "evil " comes from!

I think if i'd got you to sink a few more maybe you would have dropped a few more points!

looks like this weekend is out of the question now but will look at doing one in feb/march time but not obstructing steves planned one.
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:45 pm

Sutty, how are you for the 22nd? Appreciate you might not be able to confirm just yet but just putting it out there :) You promise not to dive in the are and I'll promise not to slide! :) :D
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:18 pm

Steve1977 wrote:You promise not to dive in the are and I'll promise not to slide! :) :D
Oh my, spot the missing letter...

My vote is 's'. Pedro? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
suttydroitwich
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby suttydroitwich » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:15 am

should be ok steve, but i will have to let you know closer to the time mate.

Mark,

bum humour is not funny!