UK Championships 2008 | Birmingham | Discussion

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderator: Moderators

Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Re: UK Championships 2008 Midlands - Sat 3rd May

Postby Steve1977 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:46 pm

I wonder what other peoples opinion is of having players from other countries? Iv only ever attended the UK Champs last year and with the foreign contingent it was great! Having seperate trophies for the actual UK players seems like a good idea and if people from overseas are willing to travel then it would seem a shame not to welcome that.
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
Noodlebug

Postby Noodlebug » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:43 pm

It's not their fault they're better than us!

I think the point of creating the London International was to give the foreign contingent an opportunity to come over here and whup our butts, and to leave the UK champs for the British, so it didn't reflect so badly on us that our best player can only come 3rd.

Perhaps we can still invite runty foreigners to the UK champs, so long as they solemnly promise not to win?
-----------------------------
Newbie for 12 years
Silver Cup runner up 2017
Bronze Cup and Best Defence runner up 2018
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:27 pm

Noodlebug wrote:It's not their fault they're better than us!

Exactly. Besides, the more we play them, the better we will get. :D
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:37 pm

The international presence really spiced up last year's UKC and of course the italians graced the recent London International 8) I thoroughly enjoyed both tourneys which clearly wouldn't have been the same without our continental counterparts! :) Having said that I also kinda feel that it would be refreshing to have a UK-only UKC this year. As well as been the contest between all that the UK has to offer, it could also re-inforce our regional and tribal identities, with friendly rivalries between the KOBRAs, KOOHLs, KODS, KORAs, LOKOs and EAKOs etc We could even make an extra special effort to revive the UK scene which arguably needs a kick up the backside! I don't know but the range of abilities across the UK spectrum may even make it even more newbie friendly ?
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:17 pm

I'd like to encourage this thread for discussion regarding the UK Championship, quite separate from the Registration Thread :)

Bounty Bob wrote:Looking at the proposed format, somebody could beat everybody 10-0 on day 1 and then not be the UK champion because this is only qualifying them for a position to play out on day 2 and going into day 2 they will lose everything they worked so hard to achieve on day 1. It's my view that the only way to make day 2 play offs worthwhile is to seperate the day 1 games into 2 or more leagues. Then the top players in each league batle for the prize on day 2.

Knowing it was a 2-day format in advance, serious challengers would know they only need to make the top 5/6/7 (depending on numbers) on day 1 to still be in with a shout. Beating someone over one match could be lucky but to make the the gold section on day 1 and then come top in that group (proabably playing everyone in that group x2) over day 2 would be an undisputed UK champion!!! 8)

This 2-day format also keeps things interesting for all levels of ability, and means the event gradually reaches a climax on day 2!

These are only my ideas and don't pretend to be a format expert so could ultimately be swayed on this.

Bounty Bob wrote:What rules are being proposed regarding implementation of menu options. No unintended slides, no auto-slides, etc?

Again, this isn't set in stone but my preference would be:

Normal pitch
No wind
Unintended Slide Bug - Off
Auto Slides Off

i.e Same as the London International but with auto-slides (which seemed widely unpopular there) also switched off.
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: UK Championships 2008 | Birmingham | Discussion

Postby durban » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:04 pm

Erm,

I would like the following settings

Normal pitch
No wind
Unintended Slide Bug - Off
Auto Slides - No preference.

I think Autoslides are a funny part of the game and I have no issues if they are left on or turned off to be honest, it will not affect my gameplay in the slightest.

As for the format I would prefer one BIG League play each other x2 (if less than 20 players) over two days.

I don't really want a Cup competition, it gets bit monotonouse.

I don't want 'playouts' or whatever they are called, as they just sort of remove the dynamic of the league if you ask me.

So I would like a play each other x1 or x2 league from start to finish.

If people cannot make both days then they shouldn't compete (harsh but sensible)

My preference for food would be a Carvery or something light and easy after football, no more curries as we always end up eating curry then no one wants a beer afterwards :( :( :( Very dissapointing!
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:36 pm

durban wrote:I don't really want a Cup competition, it gets bit monotonouse.

I'm not really that fussed tbh - it was just another excuse for more KO2 and/or a screen game (equipment permitting)! :D

durban wrote:As for the format I would prefer one BIG League play each other x2 (if less than 20 players) over two days.
I'm interested in this - like its simplicity and challenge of a UK Super League. The only slight downside to this is that it can be daunting to some of us lower league players. Having a day 2 where players are grouped with others of similar ability, could make it more non-elite friendly, giving everyone more "winnable" matches on day 2 ? Lets have more views on this...

durban wrote:If people cannot make both days then they shouldn't compete (harsh but sensible)

Makes sense to me too!

durban wrote:My preference for food would be a Carvery or something light and easy after football, no more curries as we always end up eating curry then no one wants a beer afterwards :( :( :( Very dissapointing!

I haven't eaten at any of the three options on site so can't recommend - what's everyone's preference ?
Great Park Pub/Brewers Fayre Restaurant.
Frankie and Benny's, and
Chiquito

We'll need to come to a decision well in advance so I can book us a table - I asked at the Great Park and they could set things up so to arrange tables - committee style - for 15-20 of us! :) Will ask the same at the other two places soon.

Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:20 pm

Great Park Pub/Brewers Fayre Restaurant.
Yer typical English pub grub. Not the best you'll find but certainly not the worst and offers reasonable value for money. Burgers, pies, chicken, steaks etc.

Frankie and Benny's,
New York/Italian food. Burgers, steaks, ribs, pizza and pasta. A little more costly than the Brewers Fayre but nice food if that sort of stuff floats your boat.

Chiquito
It's a long time since I ate at a Chiquito's, many years have passed since I discovered that my stomach doesn't like spicy food quite as much as my mouth does! :D Anyway, this is a mexican place, so you'll probably know before venturing in whether or not you'll like the grub on offer.

I'd say that either of the first two offer the widest range of choices. For those that it affects, Haydn seems to like the vegetarian offerings in F&B's.
Robert

Postby Robert » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:13 pm

Hello and sorrry for my belated re-entry to the discussion.

I am more than happy to work on the attendance. I do love this forum at times. When I'm useful I am called 'persuasive'. When I get on people's nerves I it's called 'bullying'. :lol:

My views on what's gone above:

1) Garry you probably need very little help because as always you are doing a SPLENDID job. Do you still want me to review the location details and give a second opinion? If so please link. Thx.

2) Durban is right. Let's start by planning a 2-day event and see if we get a lot of people only able to make a 1-dayer, then work back from there. But plan for two days. This is what it should be.

3) Quorum for UKC is 15 players. I will spill my own blood to prevent it falling below this, and it NEVER has.

4) With the event being in Birmingham, International attendance is unlikely. Having said this, it's desirable to make it a UK only event again. In my opinion John G is effectively the holder, defending his title this year.

5) Similar settings to the London tournament would be nice. Slide tackle bug out would be good, and I think I'd support a complete removal of auto-slides this time.

6) I think that with 15 players we don't need 2 days, and should either go for a 1-day tourney or take the opportunity to playx2. Having said this if we have much more than 15 players, anything more than playx1 will be exhausting. Let's see how many we get. But playx2 has its advantages. It widens the opportunity for shocks and it opens up 'revenge matches' once again.
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:37 pm

Thanks Robert. 8)

Robert Swift wrote:I am more than happy to work on the attendance. I do love this forum at times. When I'm useful I am called 'persuasive'. When I get on people's nerves I it's called 'bullying'. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fantastic! I'm so pleased you're happy to do 'your thing', the way only you can! :yikes: :lol:

Robert Swift wrote: Do you still want me to review the location details and give a second opinion?

I'm happy the venue is good and big enough but would welcome your thoughts on layout - I'll pm you some details soon.

Robert Swift wrote:3) Quorum for UKC is 15 players. I will spill my own blood to prevent it falling below this, and it NEVER has.

Given there's potentially 8 players on Brum's doorstep (me, Steve, Simon, Graham, Pete, Jon G, Ben G, and Karl), easily the same number from KORA/LOKO, and if EAKO amongst others can be awakened, and maybe the return of the Beards, Ely and even Wonka - suddenly it appears comfortably do-able...

durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:02 pm

Rob,

If we played each other twice do you think we should keep the games A=B or A>B ?

Personally I think A=B is fine even in a x2 Tournament, but A>B does have its advantages (although I guess the rankings would be messed up if we go back to A>B?)
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Noodlebug

Postby Noodlebug » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:43 pm

I vote A>B, light wind, random pitches and autoslides are compulsory!

I'm a minority, but I've a right to be heard :mrgreen:
-----------------------------
Newbie for 12 years
Silver Cup runner up 2017
Bronze Cup and Best Defence runner up 2018
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:52 pm

Id like:

A=B (A>B would take a lot of the enjoyment away personally cause if I beat someone as Team A then it can be nullified with the simple response "I would have beaten you if the teams were equal")

Unintended Slide Bug - (I think its a given that Kick Off 2 gameplay is greatly enhanced with this turned off)

Auto Slides - (I'm not too fussed about this one and will go with the majority.

I also like the idea of playing everyone twice - As Rob says, it gives people the chance for revenge games. Plus, a lot of the people wont play each other again for a few months (probably a year), so it gives you a second bite of the cherry to try and beat your nemesis. Which also brings me onto the amount of games...I reckon Alkis did it right when he tried to maximise the amount of games for the Greek Championship. Basically, this is a big meet up full of UK Kick Off 2 fans and the thing thats brought us together is the game itself so it would be a shame to hold back and not play many games when people have travelled far to do just that (Although I appreciate burn out is a worry). My mantra is the more games the better though! hehe