UK Championships 2008 | Birmingham | Discussion

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderator: Moderators

durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: UK Championships 2008 | Birmingham | Discussion

Postby durban » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:16 pm

And another point aimed at James, lets be honest mate if we started using FIFA 2008 instead of KO2 at tournaments you wouldn't even notice as its been about 35 years since you last attended :lol:
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
JamesHBeard
The guru!
The guru!

Postby JamesHBeard » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:31 pm

durban wrote:And another point aimed at James, lets be honest mate if we started using FIFA 2008 instead of KO2 at tournaments you wouldn't even notice as its been about 35 years since you last attended :lol:

And at this rate, it will be another 35 before I consider attending again.. 8)
WC - QF 2001,2002, SilverCup Winner 2006, Best Defence 2006
UKC - Winner 2005
Newent 2008 Championship Winner

Hi ! My name is James and I have been KO2 free since 8th March 2009.
Robert

Postby Robert » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:56 pm

Wind is useful for sailing, flying a kite, drying washing and, erm, power generation.

It has no place whatsoever in the beautiful game of KO2.
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:18 pm

Come on mate, Wind is far more useful in KO2 than in Power Generation surely :lol:
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:59 pm

I quite like Stephen but I fucking hate Noodlebug. :D
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:02 pm

:lol: :lol:
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
Noodlebug

Postby Noodlebug » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:05 pm

Hmm, so you're saying I'm fine to keep attending tournaments, but stay the hell off your forum?
-----------------------------
Newbie for 12 years
Silver Cup runner up 2017
Bronze Cup and Best Defence runner up 2018
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:21 pm

See what I mean? :lol:
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:22 pm

Actually Rodolfo once said something similar about Haydn. It was funny then and it's funny now. It just seemed like the ideal time to pipe in. :D
pumagreg
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby pumagreg » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:37 pm

I agree with you all!!!!

In words taken from Spaced

Skip to the end!!!!!!

This is the Uk Champs discussion.........Good work Steve and gary sorting out the alternative venue, my return was almost ruined by the event being cancelled.

what about aftertouch?? ;)
Greg - Official 13th at Gloucester UK Championships 2002 - Official Joystick Fluffer for Andy Ellis - Andy Harris you are not my father and i will never join you on the dark side
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:35 pm

pumagreg wrote:
Skip to the end!!!!!!

[marcia] Would you like a Bourbon? [/marcia]

:D
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:14 pm

I first posted the settings I was considering almost a month ago, and after a handful of people quietly expressed their views, nothing more was said on the matter until about a week go. BOOM! I'd felt as if I'd made an unintended Wonka post, fanning the flames of past disputes.

I've deliberately stood back from this debate for a number of reasons. Firstly I'm keen to avoid escalation. Second, I wanted to hear others' points of view. And thirdly, and perhaps most importantly, on top of a busy family life, trying to organise the UKCs is more than enough for me to think about without taking part in a KOA forum war!

WTF am I doing trying to organise the f**king UKCs, I started to think, watching this debate unfold! If my position in this thread were a song it'd be :

Anyway, a good starting point for me is to remember that despite what anyone has posted in this thread, we all have far more in common than that which divides us. We all share a great affection for the great game and take much pleasure in the KOA community (some of the time at least!) This, for me, is something that can easily be overlooked. Keeping this perspective, it makes you realise, as Durban has already said, that we're really only disagreeing over relatively small details. We all share the huge enjoyment of playing the great game, we just differ slightly over the degree to which KO2CV should be developed. I can understand the view that changing the smallest details means it "just isn't KO2 anymore" and it just isn't "the game I grew up with". Believe it or not, I don't think my position is really that different, and I don't want to see radical changes to the masterpiece that is KO2. I just believe that the great game can be even greater by making relatively very minor changes. I fervently want the game to retain the magic from years gone by. I appreciate the slippery slope concerns as well and but I honestly don't want to see major changes either!

Of course Autoslides aren't a bug, and yes, it is part of the original game. Ultimately, though, this line of thinking imo is a strait-jacket position to take, and would waste the opportunities the Steve C's KO2CV offers. I realise as well that autoslides can work both ways, but I neither want to gain nor lose from them. My position is that I strongly believe that without random slide tackles/headers, it allows for a purer KO2 battle! It simply becomes a better game, one where everyone has greater control of their players, instead of having an invisible madman over your shoulder who keeps doing a tackle/header when you least want it. I don't see it as an advantage to me or to any other player in particular. Even with autoslides switched off, there's still loads of drama, including accidental penalties, particularly when you go to kick the ball but because your opponent takes the ball off you the split second before, your button press turns into a slidetackle!!!!!

I accept that some aspects of the Unintended Slide Tackle Bug can be "played around", even though this itself puts strict limits over how the ball must be trapped, which goes against the depth and versatility of KO2 gameplay. In anycase there is a second aspect of the bug - when intercepting a wayward ball last touched by your opponent - that cannot be avoided. So, imo the bug remains, and the fix is a considerable improvement. See John W's fine thread on the subject which explains in more detail the differences between type 1 and type 2 aspects.

Invariably autoslides and the unintended slide tackle bug lead to unnecessary fouls or other needless interruptions in play as the ball is kicked off the pitch. By contrast, having these two aspects of the game switched off, allows for the game to flow much better imo. It doesn't take away from gameplay, it adds to it, by allowing for more possibilities.

Whilst I can be strong willed, it was always my intention to avoid upsetting lots of people. I figured the people who are most likely to get upset are those who strongly want to keep autoslides and/or the unintended slide tackle bug. The point of the discussion for me was to identify those who felt strongly. From the posts made and by pming those players who are attending the UKCs, the vast majorty of players are really not fussed either way about autoslides, with only a very small minority who strongly favour keeping them in. Similarly the vast majority of players strongly support activating the unintended slide tackle bug fix, which was successfully tried out during the London International in February.

In consultation with Steve E and Robert I have therefore made the judgement that the UKC'08 will have Autoslides OFF and Unintended Slide Tackle Bug OFF.

I know some KOA'ers will disagree and could produce counter arguments to the above, but I ask everyone to accept that it is the organiser(s) perogative to make such decisions for this particular tournament. I'd urge you to put your energy into making the UKCs a success, maybe by finding/encouraging 1 or 2 more players to take part! At the end of day, we make the KOA what is, and the success or otherwise of any tournament is down to all of us.

I'm not dismissing anyone's viewpoint by making this decision so perhaps we could re-visit this whole debate immediately after the tournament by having some constructive feedback on the effects of these settings. Such feedback, I'm sure, could be of use to other larger tournaments including the forthcoming World Cup in Greece.
Last edited by gdh82 on Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:17 pm

Btw I'm posting this now as I'm going away tomorrow for the best part of a week and didn't want to leave this until I get back.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm not going into hiding (honest!) - this trip was planned months ago, before I got involved in the UKCs.
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!