UK Championships 2008 | Birmingham | Discussion

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Re: UK Championships 2008 | Birmingham | Discussion

Postby Bounty Bob » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:31 pm

I don't even know why autoslides are being discussed. Fixing bugs is one thing, but auto slides definitely are not a bug. The unintended ones are debatable but I don't think the cpu players doing slides should be stopped.
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:17 pm

Mark, I think we already know your very rigid position on CV developments! ;)

Don't take this the wrong way but please only contribute to this discussion if your coming to the UKCs!
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:56 pm

The 'Bug' version should go (the trying to trap but sliding bug that is)

But 'Autoslides' when the CPU decides to make a tackle for you should STAY in my opinion.

Sometimes the Autoslide actually helps you out, its amazing how many goals are prevented by a CPU Slide in the box but you never hear do-gooders complaining about them, only about how they would have won if the CPU hadn't given away a penalty in the last minute of a game they were already losing 8-0!! :)

M
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Sid
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Sid » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:47 pm

Da Durb has spoken!
WC2011 #20th position
WC2011 Rodolfo's new arch enemy and Silver Cup dream ender!
WC2011 The KOA's new bowling champion
UKC2009 #1 Silver Cup Winner
UKC2007 organiser
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:51 pm

gdh82 wrote:Don't take this the wrong way but please only contribute to this discussion if your coming to the UKCs!
Leave it out Garry, I think I've played enough tournaments and contributed enough to the community to have a valid opinion, regardless of whether or not I'm playing in the UKC's.
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:20 pm

Im not fussed either way but Auto Slides invaribally benefit the better player. Newbies can ill afford a penalty against them yet a seasoned player will take it in his stride and simply score a few more.

Maybe we should go A>B as well? :shock: It's just a feature put in by Dino Dini to replicate the advantage that the home team has in real life.

But we all know its more sensible that we go A=B because then we dont get the 'you only beat me because I was Team B'. Quite rightly it cheapens the victory.

Similarly, with Auto Slides out the game you wont hear people saying "you only beat me because of that dodgy auto slide penalty".

Everything that we all do though should be of benefit to the KOA. If a decision was going to allienate people then it obviously wouldnt be good because then it would be detrimental to the KOA and then players would diminish.

Im on the fence on this one but a tourney organiser should have the right to implement 'subtle changes'. If they are taken out, its not as if Gaz has introduced wholesale changes ala Stox during the World Cup (which were then changed), plus it would hardly effect the attendance either. Similarly, if the changes are going to be that unpopular with the people attending, then its in the interest of the KOA and future tournaments that they are left out.
Old players returning see it as a relic of why the old games are so naff and newbies dont have a clue what we'r talking about. The people that know it so intricately are people that post here, so perhaps the best way around it would be to have an agreement before the game starts. Anyway, I'm going back on the fence now :)
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:04 pm

A=B was a valid change because it allows matches on an even setting and benefits competition. We can now have tournaments with a large number of players and aren't bound by having to play x2, x4 etc. Last years UKC's with 28 people playing everybody once would have been impossible without A=B.
Robert

Postby Robert » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:06 pm

The settings we used in the London International were to keep auto slides but remove the unintended slide tackle bug (where you slide instead of trapping, despite there being no opposition player present).

It's difficult to refer to the latter as a 'bug', more just a poor detection routine. Really, both are in the category of 'feature' for me.

'Stop the slide tackle bug' is definitely an improvement to the game. I'd be happy to use the settings as per London.

In that tournament, I did have a couple of heinous incidents with autoslides (including late penalty given to Sid, causing draw), and I remember thinking at the time 'for god's sake take them out altogether'.

Overall I can see all sides of this argument and I do subscribe to the 'slippery slope' worry about gameplay modifications while preferring the game without either kind of autoslide (or auto header!).

Someone else decide....I am happy to abide by whatever decision is reached.
Sid
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Sid » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:21 pm

Robert Swift wrote:'Stop the slide tackle bug' is definitely an improvement to the game. I'd be happy to use the settings as per London.

In that tournament, I did have a couple of heinous incidents with autoslides (including late penalty given to Sid, causing draw), and I remember thinking at the time 'for god's sake take them out altogether'.

Added drama ... its what you need to liven things up further!!!!!! :twisted:
WC2011 #20th position
UKC2007 organiser
Sid
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Sid » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:25 pm

Steve1977 wrote:But we all know its more sensible that we go A=B because then we dont get the 'you only beat me because I was Team B'. Quite rightly it cheapens the victory.

Similarly, with Auto Slides out the game you wont hear people saying "you only beat me because of that dodgy auto slide penalty".

A>B was an unfair advantage.
With auto-slides, it can happen to either team, so its a lottery. Both teams face the possible advantage or disadvantage.
and as Durban mentioned earlier, the auto slides and HEADERS can help you too.
WC2011 #20th position
UKC2007 organiser
Sid
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Sid » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:26 pm

I bet you wished I stayed off the forums now, eh Garry?!

:lol: ;)
WC2011 #20th position
UKC2007 organiser
pumagreg
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby pumagreg » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:00 pm

Thanks to Gary and Steve for coming over tonight to give me some much needed practice. I really enjoyed it and I think they both did to.

Some very close games and a good laugh
Greg - Official 13th at Gloucester UK Championships 2002 - Official Joystick Fluffer for Andy Ellis - Andy Harris you are not my father and i will never join you on the dark side
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:10 pm

pumagreg wrote:Thanks to Gary and Steve for coming over tonight to give me some much needed practice. I really enjoyed it and I think they both did to.

Cheers Greg - really enjoyed it too! :) A great host (pizza and beers!), plenty of laughs and some cracking KO2 moments. From the beginning of the evening to the end of the evening, overcoming your joystick problems along the way, I think we witnessed the re-awakening of your KO2 skills, particularly your finishing, including putting 7 and 5 past me!!! :( 8) Put in this kind of form at the UKCs and I'm sure you'll do very well.

UKC contenders - you have been warned!
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!