UK Championships 2008 | Birmingham | Discussion

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderators: Rodolfo, Moderators, Rodolfo, Moderators

Sid
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

UK Championships 2008 | Birmingham | Discussion

Postby Sid » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:36 pm

With all this talk of WC08, why not discuss the next UKC's? They will be held before the WC afterall...

Are there any potential bids on the table?

...or would people like a Reading event again, with real football?
(pretty much the same as we had in 2007)

Also, dates... when shall we have it?

Its good to plan early!
Last edited by Sid on Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WC2011 #20th position
WC2011 Rodolfo's new arch enemy and Silver Cup dream ender!
WC2011 The KOA's new bowling champion
UKC2009 #1 Silver Cup Winner
UKC2007 organiser
JamesHBeard
The guru!
The guru!

Postby JamesHBeard » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:49 pm

Stox ?

how about real boxing instead of real football ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
WC - QF 2001,2002, SilverCup Winner 2006, Best Defence 2006
UKC - Winner 2005
Newent 2008 Championship Winner

Hi ! My name is James and I have been KO2 free since 8th March 2009.
Robert

Postby Robert » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:17 pm

OK first thing is that my 1 year self-ban of tournament organising is now over :-)

We're getting to some sort of 'annual calendar' now which is a very good thing, as it virtually guarantees a major tournament every couple of months (at slight risk of overkill).

The kick off year *could* look a bit like this:

Jan - London International
Feb -
Mar - Milan International
Apr -
May - <?slot for scandinavian champs?>
Jun -
Jul - UK champs
Aug -
Sep - German Champs
Oct -
Nov - World Cup
Dec - Greek Champs

The only problem with having so many tournaments is that it *could* threaten World Cup attendance, in that people only have a limited budget and may have had their 'fill' half way through the year.

The World Cup must always be promoted as the premier event of the KOA calendar.

One problem that we've had is in the 'creep forward' of the UKC's. They have got later and later each year. If I remember correctly, the original one was in May. This is when it should be. The original concept was that the UKC's would be the second biggest event of the KOA year, and therefore we would keep it exactly 6 months before/after the World Cup. The problems started to arise when we got a bit slow and lazy to organise it.... it got a bit later each year, and once it crept out of May and into June/July, the holiday plans of key people almost kicked it to death.

The result was this year, the latest UKC ever, just 3 months before the WC. It needs to move back to May.

In terms of organising.... this really needs to be a team effort. There were 2-3 wilderness years where I felt a little like I was bearing this cross alone (well, Durban and Pee both picked up the other end of it when needed).

Luckily the UK is now blessed (if not with elite players any more) with some of the most rabidly keen KO2 players and elite organisers in Europe.

So.... here's what I think.....

> No offence to anyone, I would like to see the UK Champs won by a UK player and used, once again, as a test of UK excellence where we find our greatest player, not just the best one that can be bothered to turn up.

> Reading UKC was really great and high quality, but rather like the Premiership.....full of imported talent. We need quotas or something to get this back to being a contest between the Beards, EAKO, the Greenaways, and hopefully Martin Jeffrey. Even Wonka.

> I think there *is* big demand for a large tournament in London each year. This is because it's easy to access and has tourist value. I have done London Internationals in '05 and '06 which were great one-day events. I took a year off organising in '07 (due to PTSD from the World Cup) but I am happy to re-instate the London International in (say) Jan 08.

> If there IS demand then we can hold this London International but it should be kept apart from the UKC (so it doesn't drain attendance) which should be kept apart from the WC (so it doesn't drain attendance).

> In the UK we need to think about the needs of North, South, East and West players. We did try holding UKC's in the North and Midlands (Sheffield, Nottm, Stoke, Manc) but the attendance started to drip away....and we were increasingly transporting a load of southerners a long way for no reason. HAVING SAID THIS - we don't want two tournaments in the South East of the UK.

> Birmingham is a rather obvious location for the UKC :-)

IN SUMMARY

Jan - London International
Those who missed the world cup can meet some foreigners. A chance for the UK's best to test themselves against visiting masters and learn tricks. A prestigious event for those looking to move up the rankings. Training for the elite (alkis, gianni). A tourism opportunity. 50%/50% UK and International players. One day event.

May - UK Championships, Birmingham (aka. fcuk off Europe)
The annual general meet of the UK players where we test ourselves against each other, and cry because Jon Greenaway got even better since last time. Muppet Nick is special guest star. We have a curry. 90%/10% UK and International players. The 10% is people like Danny, Jacob, Fabio Artuso etc who can be granted honorary UK nationality.... and won't win :-). One day event unless numbers >20.

November - World Cup
A good 6 months after the UKC, this is the main residential event...ie requiring an overnight stay. This must be differentiated from the UKC and kept apart so that it does not sap the budgets and attendance.

How does that sound?
Ely
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Ely » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:18 pm

The quicker we get a date the more likely I'll be able to attend. It clashed this year with something I'd already paid money for (a 5-a-side Footie Tournament as it goes) so I had no option really.
NewEly - He is here sometimes...................
http://www.wayoftherodent.com
Robert

Postby Robert » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:24 pm

Ely, maybe it's better that you let us know the 1-2 weekends next year you and the Mrs don't have anything planned, and we can start from there :-)
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:25 pm

I can't see a problem with the UKC's and the SC's beeing held during the same month. I surely hope we can get a Scandinavian Champs going, and I surely hope to be able to attend.
-----------------------------
Silver Cup 2019, LAA 2015, reigning Scandinavian Champ
Founder of FÖKOF, FAKO and The People's Lockout!
WC-Host 2014 and 2017
Il portiere è mongoloide!
http://www.yearnlydom.rocks
I'm a Norwegian boy, I make rock music
Robert

Postby Robert » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:27 pm

That's a fair point....if the UKC is focussed on home players, then the attendance will barely overlap.

I might go to both, but it would be only 2-3 of us doing this I think.
Ely
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Ely » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:27 pm

Robert Swift wrote:Ely, maybe it's better that you let us know the 1-2 weekends next year you and the Mrs don't have anything planned, and we can start from there :-)

Cheeky fucker :lol: Although you're right!

At the moment the only things I have booked are a weekend in Dublin in January and a mates Wedding in Scotland sometime in June (or maybe July I can't remember!).

EDIT: Just read your big post in full Rob, so May is perfect ;)
Last edited by Ely on Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NewEly - He is here sometimes...................

http://www.wayoftherodent.com
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:28 pm

Many good points Rob and I agree that its best to plan well in advance.

Robert Swift wrote:> Birmingham is a rather obvious location for the UKC :-)

I can't say there's a Birmingham bid on the table as to be honest I'm reluctant to be the lead person on this. I would, however, assist others who might be willing, and would definately support a team effort! :)

Having said that, Reading was superb last year with no complaints at all from me. :) Birmingham/Midlands would, however, be a sensible location for a UKC. 8)
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Sid
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Sid » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:34 pm

I would agree with UKC's in May. June/July/August tends to be wedding season (& holidays!)

...and yes Birmingham is more central.

I am always open to holding larger open tournaments too at the Crown Plaza again (venue of UKC07) for ANYBODY that wants to attend, at any time of year. Just let me know.
WC2011 #20th position
UKC2007 organiser
Robert

Postby Robert » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:41 pm

Garry, all we'd need you to do is sniff out a potential hotel/game room combo.

It's not as involved as the WC. You don't need to make an accom list as we are all Eeeenglish speakers and well capable of picking up the phone and sorting this aspect ourselves.

If you like, we can look through the major chains on the internet and check which have meeting rooms, and the prices/dimensions. Then, with the shortlist, we'd need you to go and check them out. The things you would be looking for are - shape/size of room and its tables... how many Amiga setups we can fit in (using the usual config of doubled tables, against the wall).

It's this personal visit that is really necessary. The rest can be handled remotely.

Another thing that the local 'rep' can do is make a recommendation on the eating and possibly set up real football. But it doesn't have to be onerous.

This year I really left everything to Sid and (apart from the transport of Gianni/Alkis) I had very much a plug and play tournament. Next year and future years I shall be lending my assistance to the local organiser ... I've done many of these and next to a World Cup they are nothing to organise, honestly!

The real strain of Nottm, Stoke and Manc was getting enough people to attend so that we didn't lose money on the event (quorum, if you like, is a minimum of 15 players). I really don't think we'll have any problem now, with KOBRA and KORA so active.
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:42 pm

Robert Swift wrote:If I remember correctly, the original one was in May.

The first UK Champs was held in March 2002. I remember it very clearly as it was during my basic training in the Air Force and I was in the barracks getting SMS updates from Ely and James.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Sid
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Sid » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:44 pm

Lets get the UKC's in the diary, and then I can FaceBook the event, and spam people into coming!! ... its what I do best! hehe :lol:

How about Saturday 3rd May??
in Birmingham?

In between now and then, Garry & Steve, I can come up and help with the visit of the hotels, and look for other places.
Last edited by Sid on Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WC2011 #20th position
UKC2007 organiser