UK Championships 2008 | Birmingham | Discussion

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderator: Moderators

durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: UK Championships 2008 | Birmingham | Discussion

Postby durban » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:47 am

Not wanting to fan the flames....

but when you say AUTOSLIDES OFF what do you mean exactly?

You mean there won't be any autoslides or (more likely) that there will be no FIX to turn off autoslides?

I presume you haven't decided to turn them off, based on what you wrote above it?

No issues either way, but it wasn't very clear mate :lol:
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:06 am

I didn't get it either but I didn't post because it makes no odds to me.
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:09 am

Gaz is off sunning himself at the mo so he probably wont reply to this for a while. But essentially, the random Autoslides will be turned off and the unintended slide bug will be turned off as well (Meaning they wont happen).

Myself, Gaz, Si and Greg have taken part in many JFF's with these settings and it's been great. The dodgy goals, the penalties, the laughter etc. have all still been there. These settings have also been made after many tournaments with these on as well and we feel that this will enhance the tournament. No more stupid slide tackles when you try and trap the ball and when you'v worked hard to get a few goals against a tournament favourite you wont have a kick in the nuts of an auto slide penalty against you and constant stoppages in play. However, there'l still be penalties, fouls which you do by mistake, dodgy goals, dodgy refereeing decisions etc.
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
John Wilson
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby John Wilson » Sat May 03, 2008 9:28 am

Steve1977 wrote:One other thing to add...there is a net enabled computer just outside the conference room so if people not attending wanted to know the scores, then they can be uploaded as and when they occur.

Is this still the case Steve? It's the last day of the Championship season and there's at least one person attending (me of course) that has a significant stake in the results of these games and would like to keep updated via the net.

Indeed, I almost had to regretably pull out of the UKC's due my beloved Sheffield Wednesday being in relagation danger for the last game of the season. Alas, the game sold out days ago so I'll still be attending UKC's and looking forward to it very much. I will just be very distracted between the hours of 2 and 4 :)

On a lighter note, some of my mates call be Oscar (of sesame st. fame) due my stomach being like a dustbin.
Now, I don't consider myself a greedy fat bastard but I'll have a long day of travelling and KO2 so will need some 'light' sustenance to prevent me passing out during the day :D

I found this comment from Garry...

gdh82 wrote:I discussed tonight with the venue landlord the possibility of some basic food during the sunday tournament. I was thinking of asking for a selection of pizzas (half of which would be suitable for veggies), given that most people like them. This would save any of us having to leave the venue for food breaks etc.

...but I think that's for the old venue. Are there any specific plans for lunch or will it just be a simple case of nipping out to a fast food place?
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Sat May 03, 2008 9:41 am

John Wilson wrote:On a lighter note, some of my mates call be Oscar (of sesame st. fame) due my stomach being like a dustbin.
Now, I don't consider myself a greedy fat bastard but I'll have a long day of travelling and KO2 so will need some 'light' sustenance to prevent me passing out during the day :D

I found this comment from Garry...

gdh82 wrote:I discussed tonight with the venue landlord the possibility of some basic food during the sunday tournament. I was thinking of asking for a selection of pizzas (half of which would be suitable for veggies), given that most people like them. This would save any of us having to leave the venue for food breaks etc.

...but I think that's for the old venue. Are there any specific plans for lunch or will it just be a simple case of nipping out to a fast food place?

Just rang the HI (0121 511 0000) who told me the internet-enabled pc is available but we have to pay. (Something like £1/10mins) However they do also have some big screen tvs in the foyer area so I we could also ask them to put on Sky Sports News ! :)

Regaring the food, you're right Oscar ;) that quote refers to the old venue. I don't know the new venue's area too well but Steve has said there's a McDonald's nearby. Steve will post any other food options later, I'm sure . As with the London International, it'll be just as you say, a simple case of nipping out. I'll probably bring a few emergency snacks to tide me over in between nipping out as well!!!!
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
John Wilson
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby John Wilson » Sat May 03, 2008 9:44 am

gdh82 wrote: However they do also have some big screen tvs in the foyer area so I we could also ask them to put on Sky Sports News ! :)

Thanks for the quick response Garry. This is great news.
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Sat May 03, 2008 9:53 am

Yeah, there's a McDonalds about 2 mins by car up the road (4 fries???) and a Sainsburys and another McDonalds 2 minutes down the road (8 fries!!).
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Sat May 03, 2008 8:15 pm

Good luck tomorrow everyone, hope you all have fun.
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Sat May 03, 2008 8:27 pm

We'll be missing you but you'll be there in spirit, making everything run smoothly on the laptop. Awesome work! :D
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer - Ranked somewhere waaaay down the list
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :)
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Sat May 03, 2008 10:35 pm

What Steve said!

Yeah, cheers again Mark for your important stress-reducing contribution to the UKCs! We tested the fixture program during KOOHL 9 & 10 tonight and it worked perfectly! Thank you! 8)
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Sun May 04, 2008 9:11 am

Glad it works!
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Sun May 04, 2008 6:13 pm

Wherer's the news? Could nobody stump up a couple of quid for a few minutes at the PC?
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Sat May 10, 2008 1:59 pm

gdh82 wrote:I first posted the settings I was considering almost a month ago, and after a handful of people quietly expressed their views, nothing more was said on the matter until about a week go. BOOM! I'd felt as if I'd made an unintended Wonka post, fanning the flames of past disputes.

I've deliberately stood back from this debate for a number of reasons. Firstly I'm keen to avoid escalation. Second, I wanted to hear others' points of view. And thirdly, and perhaps most importantly, on top of a busy family life, trying to organise the UKCs is more than enough for me to think about without taking part in a KOA forum war!

WTF am I doing trying to organise the f**king UKCs, I started to think, watching this debate unfold! If my position in this thread were a song it'd be :

Anyway, a good starting point for me is to remember that despite what anyone has posted in this thread, we all have far more in common than that which divides us. We all share a great affection for the great game and take much pleasure in the KOA community (some of the time at least!) This, for me, is something that can easily be overlooked. Keeping this perspective, it makes you realise, as Durban has already said, that we're really only disagreeing over relatively small details. We all share the huge enjoyment of playing the great game, we just differ slightly over the degree to which KO2CV should be developed. I can understand the view that changing the smallest details means it "just isn't KO2 anymore" and it just isn't "the game I grew up with". Believe it or not, I don't think my position is really that different, and I don't want to see radical changes to the masterpiece that is KO2. I just believe that the great game can be even greater by making relatively very minor changes. I fervently want the game to retain the magic from years gone by. I appreciate the slippery slope concerns as well and but I honestly don't want to see major changes either!

Of course Autoslides aren't a bug, and yes, it is part of the original game. Ultimately, though, this line of thinking imo is a strait-jacket position to take, and would waste the opportunities the Steve C's KO2CV offers. I realise as well that autoslides can work both ways, but I neither want to gain nor lose from them. My position is that I strongly believe that without random slide tackles/headers, it allows for a purer KO2 battle! It simply becomes a better game, one where everyone has greater control of their players, instead of having an invisible madman over your shoulder who keeps doing a tackle/header when you least want it. I don't see it as an advantage to me or to any other player in particular. Even with autoslides switched off, there's still loads of drama, including accidental penalties, particularly when you go to kick the ball but because your opponent takes the ball off you the split second before, your button press turns into a slidetackle!!!!!

I accept that some aspects of the Unintended Slide Tackle Bug can be "played around", even though this itself puts strict limits over how the ball must be trapped, which goes against the depth and versatility of KO2 gameplay. In anycase there is a second aspect of the bug - when intercepting a wayward ball last touched by your opponent - that cannot be avoided. So, imo the bug remains, and the fix is a considerable improvement. See John W's fine thread on the subject which explains in more detail the differences between type 1 and type 2 aspects.

Invariably autoslides and the unintended slide tackle bug lead to unnecessary fouls or other needless interruptions in play as the ball is kicked off the pitch. By contrast, having these two aspects of the game switched off, allows for the game to flow much better imo. It doesn't take away from gameplay, it adds to it, by allowing for more possibilities.

Whilst I can be strong willed, it was always my intention to avoid upsetting lots of people. I figured the people who are most likely to get upset are those who strongly want to keep autoslides and/or the unintended slide tackle bug. The point of the discussion for me was to identify those who felt strongly. From the posts made and by pming those players who are attending the UKCs, the vast majorty of players are really not fussed either way about autoslides, with only a very small minority who strongly favour keeping them in. Similarly the vast majority of players strongly support activating the unintended slide tackle bug fix, which was successfully tried out during the London International in February.

In consultation with Steve E and Robert I have therefore made the judgement that the UKC'08 will have Autoslides OFF and Unintended Slide Tackle Bug OFF.

I know some KOA'ers will disagree and could produce counter arguments to the above, but I ask everyone to accept that it is the organiser(s) perogative to make such decisions for this particular tournament. I'd urge you to put your energy into making the UKCs a success, maybe by finding/encouraging 1 or 2 more players to take part! At the end of day, we make the KOA what is, and the success or otherwise of any tournament is down to all of us.

I'm not dismissing anyone's viewpoint by making this decision so perhaps we could re-visit this whole debate immediately after the tournament by having some constructive feedback on the effects of these settings. Such feedback, I'm sure, could be of use to other larger tournaments including the forthcoming World Cup in Greece.