Back to School I: Sunday 26th Nov (note: 4PM START!!!)

Talk about any Kick Off Tournament here.

Moderators: Rodolfo, Moderators, Rodolfo, Moderators

waynie

Back to School I: Sunday 26th Nov (note: 4PM START!!!)

Postby waynie » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:48 pm

Okay, it looks like the UK-based players need to improve on their KO skills. Where better than to get some education? Brunel is the official university of the KOA and the first lesson will take place on Sunday 26th November 2006.
Directions: http://www.brunel.ac.uk/about/where/ux/uxacc
Parking available in the pay/display bays (free on w/ends) at the Cleveland Road entrance. Please meet there at 4pm, not 2pm!

EXTRA TACTICS WILL BE IN USE! :D

Attendees signed up so far:
Wayne L
Robert S
Mandhir S
Mark B
Simon B
Lee M
James Bu
Darren G

Possible attendees:
James L
2 x Newbies (sid/bbob's friends from the AV forums, one of whom lives near uxbridge!)

Looking forward to it! :)
Last edited by waynie on Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:26 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Bounty Bob
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Bounty Bob » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:27 pm

12th and 26th are good.

I cannot do the 19th as Julie is away that weekend and I'm on baby sitting duties. I'll also have to go and pick her up on that day, so even if I could leave young Robert at the grandparents I'd still not be able to play.
Robert

Postby Robert » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:56 pm

I don't want to go to your grandparents....I'm old enough for school now!

All of those dates are fine for me.

On the school theme, this is optional, but; I thought of downloading the televised games from this year's WC (as well as, possibly previous WC's) and maybe we could watch them on a laptop and learn a few things. We always play tournaments against each other, and this doesn't encourage us to share our knowledge and make each other better. If we approach the next WC as a unit, where we don't just play tournaments but train together, then we'll all be in better shape. Like I say...this is just optional. If everyone thinks the idea is gay, then we will avoid. But I can tell you that I incorporated 3-4 things from Gianluca's 532 vs 424 win over Martin into my game, and it got me into 6th place in the Milan WC (at the expense of Spyros, who else :P ).
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Stainy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:01 pm

Robert Swift wrote:I don't want to go to your grandparents....I'm old enough for school now!

All of those dates are fine for me.

On the school theme, this is optional, but; I thought of downloading the televised games from this year's WC (as well as, possibly previous WC's) and maybe we could watch them on a laptop and learn a few things. We always play tournaments against each other, and this doesn't encourage us to share our knowledge and make each other better. If we approach the next WC as a unit, where we don't just play tournaments but train together, then we'll all be in better shape. Like I say...this is just optional. If everyone thinks the idea is gay, then we will avoid. But I can tell you that I incorporated 3-4 things from Gianluca's 532 vs 424 win over Martin into my game, and it got me into 6th place in the Milan WC (at the expense of Spyros, who else :P ).

Sounds good!! looks like I`ll be needing a pad `n` pen.. because I`ll be taking the most notes :oops: :oops:
Robert

Postby Robert » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:06 pm

I don't want to be too specific about what we'd focus on...not here on the forum. :wink: This is 'team' work for the SouthEast of England.

I'm completely rebuilding my own game now after something I saw in the WC Final, so you guys can expect a lot of victories before we get things right. I'll be treating all games outside the UKC and WC as non-competitive friendlies from now on.
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:43 pm

Robert Swift wrote: We always play tournaments against each other, and this doesn't encourage us to share our knowledge and make each other better. If we approach the next WC as a unit, where we don't just play tournaments but train together, then we'll all be in better shape.

That's a really good point, Rob, and sounds a great idea for a new kind of getting together. Competitive environments although important obviously don't lend themselves to experimenting and trying something new.

Although I won't make it to any of these sessions (too far to come for one day and so soon after wc) I'd be really interested to hear how it goes (perhaps by pm) and maybe us midlanders could try something similar ?
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
waynie

Postby waynie » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:52 pm

that sounds like a good idea! we could break things down and do frame by frame analyses. and i could identify potential penalty dive opportunities for you all! :lol:

the seminar room would be designed to accommodate a projector...i will look into seeing if we can use the university hardware. we could treat it like a workshop...it really will be like going back to school! :D

i have updated the first post...kinda getting the hang of this. :)
Robert, could you let the Buuu's and James L know about this please? they may not check the forums as regularly as the likes of sid, stainy and haydn. thnx 8)
Robert

Postby Robert » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:34 pm

They all read the forum Waynie, including James.

Hello James.

I'll be sending you and Sid full contact details for all of the local players later.
Semtex
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Semtex » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:59 pm

Not December? The first Sat in Dec could be good...
waynie

Postby waynie » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:34 am

haydn, if the venue and november's training/tourney turn out to be successful, i dont mind holding another one in december...if it works for everyone. :) sid and i are committed to having a tourney at least once a month - all being well, we could have two before x'mas. 8) so, if you cant make november at all, what does your december look like?

i know there can be a feeling of KO2 overload after a WC, but there is also clearly enthusiasm on the back of last w/end for a number of reasons. rather that allow this positivity dampen and dissapate over the next month, it would be good to utilise it to allow us to hit the ground running in our preparations for the next WC. :D

it makes sense that regular training sessions/tournaments breed better overall performances. if the uk based players are going to train as a unit, i'm all for it. i reckon we'd all be nails by next autumn! :)
Sid
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Sid » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:49 am

THIS IS AWESOME!!!
(The Canadian lingo rubbing off, hey!?)

Get the projector up... and I think I have a pen somewhere that extends into a flipchart pointer!

Training is defo needed!! I have skilled Bounty Bob into lobbing, and now he has taken my super powers...

I can do 26th Nov ... waiting to see what other dates I could do.
WC2011 #20th position
WC2011 Rodolfo's new arch enemy and Silver Cup dream ender!
WC2011 The KOA's new bowling champion
UKC2009 #1 Silver Cup Winner
UKC2007 organiser
SimonB
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby SimonB » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:50 am

I will consult my calendar tonight ... and make sure my bro is reading this thread also.

I like Robs ideas about training ... I was thinking along similar lines.
Birmingham 2011 World Cup: 15th best player :)
Semtex
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Semtex » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:02 am

Sat 2nd Dec is good. The outlook for the rest of that month is sunny and hot!!!
Training is good. I can teach you all you need to know about corners!