KOA Book Club

Talk about everything but Kick Off.

Moderator: Moderators

alkis21

Re: KOA Book Club

Postby alkis21 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:04 pm

I finished 'The Girl Who Played With Fire'. Here are my comments, watch out for spoilers:

Unlike the first novel of the Millennium trilogy, I didn't like this one at all. Blomkvist degenerated into an unlikable and utterly boring character who is rude to everyone he talks to. Berger has no role in this book whatsoever; the subplot of her leaving the magazine for a better job was even forgotten by the end and left unfinished. Lisbeth is the only redeeming feature but the main plot had me yawning continuously. Ultimately it is not different than your average organized crime pulp "dime a dozen" book. There was never any in depth analysis of how the white flesh trade worked, we never even got to meet a single victim. Only dozens of names after names of police investigators, bad guys and 'johns' each of which appeared for five lines. I expected a story about the exploitation of women and that story was never there, just constantly hinted at.

Worse of all: the characters. An ex-champion of the world boxer as a Deus Ex Machina who lands in Sweden just in time to save a girl? A 7 footer super villain with congenital insensitivity to pain who also happens to have an indestructible skeleton? Really? These characters wouldn't even work in a James Bond movie. They'd be fine in a Marvel comic book but they seem ridiculous in a book that tries to take itself seriously.

Currently reading: Ann Veronica, by H.G. Wells.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Tripod » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:52 am

Binary wrote:Curiously enough, I think I was the one who recommended them to my 2 bros Jorn and Tripod, and I wouldn't recommend them anymore. GRRM is becoming "Robert Jordan v2.0" if you know what I mean...

I don't have a clue. :) I guess it has to do with how antagonisingly long he take to publish his next book? I picked up the first four dead cheap on amazon and haven't bothered with the fifth, maybe I'll wait till his... heptalogy (I think) ever gets finished

Sorry, I can't remember you recommending the author. I watched the first season on TV and wanted to know how it continues. The same happened with LotR - never read it until I watched the first movie. I'm not really a sucker for these neverending fantasy novels, in fact these are I believe the only two series I ever read.

Second season of GoT is now finished in the US, possibly even better than the first, though even 10 one-hour episodes are simply not enough, the TV series had to cut some corners, but all the major elements are there. And I must say, I really love the actors they chose for the roles, all of them match the characters in the books - even Brienne!
WC Performances 2003: 28/31 - 2004: 14/43 - 2005: 17/63 - 2006: 31/50 - 2008: 12/41 - 2009: 14/34 - 2010: 24/46
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:02 pm

Well, yeah, you recommended it. GRRM a long time ago. But it was years after that I started reading, and it was kind of a fluke, as I didn't have anything else to read, and just bought the first book. However, putting GRRM in the same line as RJ is a bummer bro. Robert Jordans series is just sooooo boring (trust me, I've read it all - when I first start reading something, I "have" to follow it to the end...), all until he actually died, and Brandon S. was chosen to finish the series. And he's SO much cooler to read. :) So, the final of The Wheel of Time is awesome.
GRRM is way cool. He's beastial, funny, manly, loads of sex and drugs and rock'n roll in his books. RJ is total puritan ffs. Only problem I have with GRRM is that I think maybe he's expanding his "world" a bit too much. It's becoming really huge, and hard to keep track with.

Alkis, I soooo follow you about them books. Book 1 totally got me hooked, it was just so awesome. Book 2 told me that we're possibly loosing it here, and book 3 was such a hard fight to get through...
-----------------------------
Winner of The Silver Cup 2019
Lifetime Achievement Award 2015
Founder of FÖKOF and FAKO
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Wayne's and Nick's Carreer Ender
The People's Lockout!
Il portiere è mongoloide!
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Tripod » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:44 am

I have a recommendation for all SciFi fans out there: Wool (Omnibus Edition) by Hugh Howey. The average rating of 4.8 from 1400 amazon customers convinced me to buy it and I loved it. Actually, I am also jealous of the author: Anybody who played Fallout 3 has the blueprint for this novel. Like the current juggernaut 50 shades of grey this book is self published and in a bidding war for the film rights the company by the Ridley and Tony Scott won, so the author might be a millionaire very soon. Nonetheless, if you liked the vaults in Fallout, you'll love the "silo" in Wool. Highly recommended.
WC Performances 2003: 28/31 - 2004: 14/43 - 2005: 17/63 - 2006: 31/50 - 2008: 12/41 - 2009: 14/34 - 2010: 24/46
Binary
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Binary » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:42 pm

The reason I compare GRRM with RJ is because they both went the same way: hey I'm famous now, I can write a totally crappy book, with no editor intervention, and people will still buy it.

Of RJ's Wheel of Time series (now being finished by Sanderson after RJ's death), the first 3 books were great, the 4th was OK, the rest was drivel.
Of GRRM's aSoIaF series, the first 2 books were great, the 3rd was OK, the 4th was crap, I didn't even read the 5th after being told it was even worse.

I read this blog for scifi and fantasy recommendations: http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.ie/ .
My suggestions atm in terms of fantasy would be:
Steven Erikson (new book coming this month) and his friend Ian C. Esslemont,
Scott Lynch (you can't help but love a group of medieval con-men called "Gentlemen Bastards")
Patrick Rothfuss
Joe Abercrombie
World Cup 2015 Bronze Cup/Steve Screech Cup Winner

aka "The Kick Off 2 Hustler" and officially the best Portuguese Kick Off player living in Ireland.
mmike
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!
Location: building near marakana - stadium of red star, belgrade, serbia

Postby mmike » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:37 am

i love sf, but this book is legendary. surely the best i have read in last 10 to 15 years. the vision, charachters, storyline, even the alien creatures - everything is as close to perfection, as it can be.

10 / 10
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:51 pm

Any of you guys have a Kindle? How do you find it? Howabout the Kindle Touch? We have loads of books in our loft and they'r hardly ever re-read but take up lots of space. Appreciate they'r nostalgic though and have a certain aura and feel.
When you purchase a book through Kindle are they all the same font (thus robbing them of their individuality) or are they actually the same as the book apart from them being digital?
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:19 pm

Steve,

the newer kindles look fantastic in terms of text clarity (even in sunlight) some of the other 'copies' are not so great but the sony one is 'ok'

The books are just formatted text sadly (well I say sadly, but I mean in relation to your question) so you don't get an actual electronic copy of the book so to speak...you can change the fonts, the background of the page, the size of the letters etc to your own taste which is great, but its not just an image of the pages from a book.

hope that helps, you can get PDF versions of some books (not that many) for other devices but a) they are too large in terms of file sizes really and b) you can't then mess with the way it looks, so if you prefer dark 'arial' style text on light background you are buggered....but on the kindle and most other readers you can change them to fonts you like (the choice obviously differs from machine to machine!)

MArk
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:13 am

I don't own a Kindle but ever since I switched to reading e-books on a smartphone circa 2004 I never looked back.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:31 am

I'm reading Kindle-books on my Android-pad. Think it's perfect. Always synced with my Android-phone, or any other device using a Kindle-app. Paper is just so last decade...
-----------------------------
Winner of The Silver Cup 2019
Lifetime Achievement Award 2015
Founder of FÖKOF and FAKO
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Wayne's and Nick's Carreer Ender
The People's Lockout!
Il portiere è mongoloide!
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:15 pm

cheers guys - really appreciate the feedback. Also Iv done a quick peruse and it seems they'r invariably cheaper too by the looks of it (the kindle versions of books)
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Tripod » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:43 am

I got a Kindle "Paperwhite" for Christmas and am very happy with it. E-Ink is damn close to printed paper which means you need a light source like a reading lamp. But the paperwhite has a built-in light which makes it great even in a dark room and it's easier on the eyes than a tablet, smartphone, etc.

I've been reading loads already. I want to recommend the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly. Yes, Harry is another loner of a cop, drinks and smokes too much, doesn't get along with his boss, keeps investigating after being told to lay off or getting himself suspended and so on. But I've now read the first six novels and the cases are all really clever, with surprising yet believable twists and turns.