Greece: Will this nightmare ever end?

Talk about everything but Kick Off.

Moderator: Moderators

alkis21

Re: Greece: Will this nightmare ever end?

Postby alkis21 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:08 pm

I honestly feel a little better. :) Thank you guys.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
hogstrom
1000+ Poster!
1000+ Poster!

Postby hogstrom » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:29 pm

alkis21 wrote:But you have to take a minute to wonder who "they" are in the phrase "they deserve it". Take my father for instance: He's been working since the age of 22 on an extremely dangerous field, put more overtime than regular hours that was never paid, didn't ever accept a single penny "under the table" like so many before and after him in his position did, never cheated on his taxes and today at the age of 64 he watches his pension shrink and is wondering for how long he will be able to support his chronically ill wife. How do you reckon he feels when he hears that phrase?

I did spend a few minutes to figure out what that must feel like for your father. Awful. I would likely cry if that happended to my father or grandfather, that both is/was trusting the system to 100% and certainly did their part of it.

Proffessional politicans, politicans that does everything to get re-elected, the world would be better off if we could just find a way to get rid of that unhealthy system.
By car, Kickoff2-record traveller! Ostersund/Dusseldorf +3,750 km during +55 hours
Wcups: 2005 (29:th), 2006 (15:th), 2007 (6:th), 2008 (6:th), --, 2010 (12:th), --, --, --, 2014 (5:th), 2015 (12:th)...
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:55 am

alkis21 wrote:I honestly feel a little better. :) Thank you guys.

Too easy ;)
-----------------------------
Winner of The Silver Cup 2019
Lifetime Achievement Award 2015
Founder of FÖKOF and FAKO
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Wayne's and Nick's Carreer Ender
The People's Lockout!
Il portiere è mongoloide!
manicx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby manicx » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:14 am

Greece became the first EU country that taxes people under the poverty level that is 6480 euros/year if I remember well. This of course doesn't mean that they will be the only ones taxed. A person with no children will have increased tax of 700 euros, if you have one kid 770 euros, two kids 840 euros and so on. So assuming that on average you have

-You have property tax of 550 euros
-New 'special' income tax of 350-400 euros
-700 euros less income from 1% increase in income tax (for 2010 but we pay it in 2011) and 0.5% tax for the unemployed
-770 euros less from even more increased income tax for 2011

That makes it about 2500 euros less for one person with one kid and of course I don't mention his wife's tax. If you are single, it is about 2400 euros less per year. Imagine that the average wage in Greece is about 1000 euros, this is 2.5 months less wage.

And imagine that several people have pay cuts from their jobs from 5-20%, maybe more in some extreme cases. No matter how many times you press the Del button, the only way that Greece can be saved without us becoming poor, is to press Ctrl-Alt-Del. The only way.
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:38 pm

My parents are moving out of Holargos, Nikos. They can no longer afford a big apartment. :( After the third pension reduction in two years, the government is practically forcing a 64 year old retiree and his handicapped wife to move to a cheaper suburb.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
manicx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby manicx » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:27 pm

I understand and it is sad... If I didn't have an apartment, I would probably move to another country and never get back here. Not even for holidays.
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:28 pm

That just sucks dude. Ffs. Not that it'll help them pay for the apartment, but they've got my deepest sympathy.
-----------------------------
Winner of The Silver Cup 2019
Lifetime Achievement Award 2015
Founder of FÖKOF and FAKO
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Wayne's and Nick's Carreer Ender
The People's Lockout!
Il portiere è mongoloide!
r.cross

Postby r.cross » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:18 pm

Abyss wrote:Feel ashamed for the coincidence of being born on a specific longitude and latitude?

I very much see that the same way. Beeing born in a specific place the wrong / or right time shouldn't be something to be ashamed / proud of. You might remember that my future sister in law is Greek. I spent quite some time in her parents house and have always been wondering how hard working (though retired!) her father was. They told me that it's vital to keep up a proper standard of living - meaning food, heated rooms and one car. I know that man was working hard his whole life and I can hardly imagine how they can cope with the current situation. This is very sad and the fact that I like them a lot makes it even worse. :roll: I seriously hope that you'll somehow manage!
Semtex
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Semtex » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:49 pm

The nightmare will NEVER end. It just moves from place to place. Somalian famine - lost all interest long ago but it is another symptom of the disease. The disease is of course CAPITALISM and when it works it is great but now we see that it doesn't work for long, and mostly not at all for most of the world...
The Greeks are not to blame. It is the fucking bankers who conspired to lend to them and the politicians who sucked the bankers dicks just to be the 'glorious leaders' (a taste of power literally...) and you will vote out this lot of politicians in favour of the next lot of suckers...
but you can't vote out the bankers!
So the nightmare never ends.
Unless you depose the government
And make money illegal.
So good luck, as it is only gonna get worse - and I know for sure that you guys are the dummy run, the rest of Europe will be getting fucked over mighty soon...
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:24 pm

Haydn! If you can post on the forum you can come to the world cup! :lol:
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
Robert

Postby Robert » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:02 am

I live in a country with 0% income tax and we have economic growth in a recession. Go figure. Obviously it's not applicable to compare oil-driven economies with the bankrupt post-industrial European nations but it does explain why I am here. I got fed up with working 2.5/5 days a week in the UK to pay benefits to the kids that were the bullies when we were all at school.

That said, you should appreciate some of the things that are free in life - trees, culture, political freedom, clean air.
Danny D
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Danny D » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:02 pm

Sarkozy is correct. Vive la France and his bird is fit also! Greece fraudulently joined the euro group and they then held the EU to ransom. Shame on you Greece! These are the facts and this isn't up for debate.

Even still, I'd love to live on any one of their 6000 islands! :lol:

"We are now on the threshold of a newer movement, with a newer hope and a new inspiration."
James Larkin
Semtex
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Semtex » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:36 pm

Just popped in to see how the Greek guys were doing and posted my two cents worth (all I can afford these days) Was gonna ask the general opinion about the Olympics back in 2004 - I seem to recall a lot of positivity from you guys, was this the feeling at the time? Can I ask how much it cost the Greek govt? are you still paying for it? was it worth it? Bearing in mind where next years bash is taking place...
ps couldn't afford to go to World Cup even if I wasn't expecting a big event around this time...