Any Team, Any League, Anywhere! (The Club Footy Thread)

Talk about everything but Kick Off.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

Rodolfo
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Re: Any Team, Any League, Anywhere! The Club Footy Thread 1

Postby Rodolfo » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:42 pm

Looks very good! :D

But it is still the very first match, I will be happy with any short victory.

Rodolfo Martín. KO2 Player. KOA member since 2002. FEKO.
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:57 pm

hogstrom wrote:Btw, good thread you started here, Garry. Interesting reading here early on.

Thanks John. I agree, I find it fascinating reading, hearing about other teams in other leagues. Many of us have our separate club interests so it's good to have a place to post and share them. Hope it continues...
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
hogstrom
1000+ Poster!
1000+ Poster!

Postby hogstrom » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:16 pm

Mallorca - Real Madrid: 0-0

No shock-result. This was a difficult opening fixture for Real, but have to admit i had expected more goals than zero.

I missed this encounter myself, but im sure two here did not. A question to you, when Real attacked away against Mallorca, did you notice how many players were (in general) involved?

I watched them in a friendly last Tuesday vs another spanish side (was it Hercules?) First half, 4 and sometimes 5 players was sent up to create chances when Real attacked (they did create very little). In the second half they were always 5 or +6 involved (just like last season). So im curious, how did they approach this match?
By car, Kickoff2-record traveller! Ostersund/Dusseldorf +3,750 km during +55 hours
Wcups: 2005 (29:th), 2006 (15:th), 2007 (6:th), 2008 (6:th), --, 2010 (12:th), --, --, --, 2014 (5:th), 2015 (12:th)...
Rodolfo
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Rodolfo » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:24 am

First dissapointment of the season :D

It is usual that Real Madrid attacks with several players. The reason is simple; the other team gives Real Madrid the possesion of the ball, so the forward half of the team is involved in the attack. So happened yesterday, specially in the first half of the first half. After that, Mallorca gained control of the game, and so it was until half time.

At the beginning of the second half entered Benzema, Ozil and Khedira. It looked a little better, but shortly after, it was clear that everyone was so tired, and the tactics dissapeared. There were many attacks, but very dissorganized, so there was not much to analyze. In the end, we got nothing.

alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:15 am

Rodolfo wrote:As i have said some other times, supporting Real Madrid is a terrible hard task. You are not simply supossed to win every game, but you also have to do it in style (and in Real Madrid historic spirit, winning in style means much more scoring lots of goals and completely destroying the rival rather than just keeping possesion as so boringly does some other team). In the end, this way of thinking only brings one huge dissapointment after another. We are in permanent crisis, and every other month it feels like the end of the world. Also, everybody hates us (which feels good if we win), and laugh about us.

Dude, I have two words for you:

Boo

and

Hoo

I have zero sympathy for your agony! A Real Madrid fan who complains about the hard times he is going through? Real, with their 30+ championships and 10+ European cups? You're like the rich kids who cry about how their lives are empty because they have all this money and therefore nothing excites them, and we're supposed to feel sorry for them because they resort to drugs. Give us a break! You wanna trade places with some of us and support Nottingham Forest or AEK instead? :wink:
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Rodolfo
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Rodolfo » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:02 pm

alkis21 wrote:
Rodolfo wrote:As i have said some other times, supporting Real Madrid is a terrible hard task. You are not simply supossed to win every game, but you also have to do it in style (and in Real Madrid historic spirit, winning in style means much more scoring lots of goals and completely destroying the rival rather than just keeping possesion as so boringly does some other team). In the end, this way of thinking only brings one huge dissapointment after another. We are in permanent crisis, and every other month it feels like the end of the world. Also, everybody hates us (which feels good if we win), and laugh about us.

Dude, I have two words for you:

Boo

and

Hoo

I have zero sympathy for your agony! A Real Madrid fan who complains about the hard times he is going through? Real, with their 30+ championships and 10+ European cups? You're like the rich kids who cry about how their lives are empty because they have all this money and therefore nothing excites them, and we're supposed to feel sorry for them because they resort to drugs. Give us a break! You wanna trade places with some of us and support Nottingham Forest or AEK instead? :wink:

Oh yes, whatever it happens to you, you can always say 'after all, this is AEK or Forest'. But we have no excuses. The history (and sadly, the more time advances, it is more about history and less about present) weights too much, and makes all of us, from the president to the last Jerez fan, terribly unrealistic about our real chances, and therefore permanently frustrated. We simply can not accept that neither we, nor anyone, is that big. It is our biggest problem, and you may fairly call it simple stupidity. You will probably be right.

hogstrom
1000+ Poster!
1000+ Poster!

Postby hogstrom » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:21 pm

Rodolfo wrote:...so the forward half of the team is involved in the attack. So happened yesterday, specially in the first half of the first half. After that, Mallorca gained control of the game, and so it was until half time.

Thanks for the reply, Rodolfo. 6 players invlolved, yes?

It´s interesting to know so one can understand how to threat them from now on, when the portugese took over i fear they´ll be a little less entertaining to follow, especially away from home. They have been world class entertainers as long as i can remember. Few sides is so attacking-minded as Real really is. So, no i do not feel pity for you eiter ;) even if i do understand your point. Few victories is worth celebrating much, because they´re taken for granted because of numberous of reasons.
By car, Kickoff2-record traveller! Ostersund/Dusseldorf +3,750 km during +55 hours
Wcups: 2005 (29:th), 2006 (15:th), 2007 (6:th), 2008 (6:th), --, 2010 (12:th), --, --, --, 2014 (5:th), 2015 (12:th)...
Billy Minof
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Billy Minof » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:53 pm

They may have attacked with 6 men at times but they defended with 2 banks of 4 which isnt a bad ploy against a team that is a real threat BUT not against Mallorca even away even in our first game, he had a chance to send a message by playing 1 defensive midfield player but he choose to pick 2 Alonso and Lass ahead of Ozil who with Canales behind Higuian would have been much more dangerous.....its early days yet and its only just begun, hopefully Barca arent that good to beat everyone and maintain a lead before the first Classico.
I dont think any of us are looking for pity, we just like to complain alot. :lol:
"To be the Man, you gotta beat the Man"
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:33 pm

Billy Minof wrote:I dont think any of us are looking for pity, we just like to complain alot. :lol:

Yeah, I found Rod's post kinda reasurring on that basis that fans of the big clubs 'suffer' almost as much as the rest of us. I guess success and failure are all relative, and with the expectations of the likes of Real Madrid so high, that must be tough too. Maybe all us footy fans have more in common that we think!
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Billy Minof
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Billy Minof » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:37 pm

gdh82 wrote:
Billy Minof wrote:I dont think any of us are looking for pity, we just like to complain alot. :lol:

Yeah, I found Rod's post kinda reasurring on that basis that fans of the big clubs 'suffer' almost as much as the rest of us. I guess success and failure are all relative, and with the expectations of the likes of Real Madrid so high, that must be tough too. Maybe all us footy fans have more in common that we think!

Well the club I support in England is Sheff Wed, supported them in the David Hirst era and they have always had a place in my heart, its been a tough couple of years for them but I think that this season they will do well and return the Championship.
My bro supports Forest also. Sad man. :lolo:
"To be the Man, you gotta beat the Man"
hogstrom
1000+ Poster!
1000+ Poster!

Postby hogstrom » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:42 am

4998 Garry...my money is on you to make 5000 today :!:
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Tripod » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:12 am

Well, the payout on that bet isn't going to impress anyone. :)

Lots of surprises at the start of the Bundesliga, though of course early in the season it's normal to see odd results. Bayern basically goes into this new season without a new player, save for Kroos, who was on loan to Leverkusen and had a great season, but he's just a backup for Bayern. Robben is injured, as always, should have missed the WC really, Holland let him play knowing full well he'll be injured afterwards. Anyway, first loss of the season away against newly-promoted Kaiserslautern, though Bayern was clearly the better team.

Schalke lost both matches so far and played terrible, that includes Raul. I don't quite understand Magath - has a lot of money to spend but waits till the last second to spend it, Schalke bought Huntelaar and Jurado today, they certainly needed a new striker, not sure about Jurado, though. Wolfsburg, Volkswagen's very own club, spent a lot of money and held onto top-striker Dzeko (48 goals in the last two seasons) - well, he scored 3 more in 2 matches so far, but still no points for the wally with the brolly, their new manager. Managed to lead 3-0 at home vs tiny Mainz and lose the match 3-4. Leverkusen started with the returning Ballack against mediocre Gladbach, usually the worst away team of the league, and Leverkusen lost 3-6, ouch.

Bremen still guarantees plenty of goals, lost 1-4 to Hoffenheim, then won 4-2 vs Cologne, a team not known for scoring goals (33 in 34 games last season). Hamburg had a good start with three goals from old Ruud vN. Don't think they'll have a shot at the title, team is now decent all round, with Westermann and Mathijsen at the back, Jarolim, ancient Ze Roberto and Dutch Winger Elia in midfield plus RvN up front, should be good for a finish around 5th place. I expect Dortmund to finish just above them, a very young team (Sahin, Hummels, Götze, Schmelzer, Subotic and their new offensive midfielder, 21 year old Japanese Kagawa) behind the good striker Barrios.

As for my team Hertha, who were leading the Bundesliga table only 16 months ago and got relegated a desastrous season later. Two games, two victories, what a relief. But admittedly bad football so far, thankfully the 2nd division seems to be so weak that you can make plenty of mistakes and get away with them. But for now - after 2 of 34 matches - things are looking bright, because I am sure Hertha can play a lot better than they have so far which should then lead to plenty of clear victories. Hope I won't have to eat my hat in a couple of months...
WC Performances 2003: 28/31 - 2004: 14/43 - 2005: 17/63 - 2006: 31/50 - 2008: 12/41 - 2009: 14/34 - 2010: 24/46
hogstrom
1000+ Poster!
1000+ Poster!

Postby hogstrom » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:38 am

Tripod wrote:Well, the payout on that bet isn't going to impress anyone. :)

Lots of surprises at the start of the Bundesliga, though of course early in the season it's normal to see odd results. Bayern basically goes into this new season without a new player, save for Kroos, who was on loan to Leverkusen and had a great season, but he's just a backup for Bayern. Robben is injured, as always, should have missed the WC really, Holland let him play knowing full well he'll be injured afterwards. Anyway, first loss of the season away against newly-promoted Kaiserslautern, though Bayern was clearly the better team.

Schalke lost both matches so far and played terrible, that includes Raul. I don't quite understand Magath - has a lot of money to spend but waits till the last second to spend it, Schalke bought Huntelaar and Jurado today, they certainly needed a new striker, not sure about Jurado, though. Wolfsburg, Volkswagen's very own club, spent a lot of money and held onto top-striker Dzeko (48 goals in the last two seasons) - well, he scored 3 more in 2 matches so far, but still no points for the wally with the brolly, their new manager. Managed to lead 3-0 at home vs tiny Mainz and lose the match 3-4. Leverkusen started with the returning Ballack against mediocre Gladbach, usually the worst away team of the league, and Leverkusen lost 3-6, ouch.

Bremen still guarantees plenty of goals, lost 1-4 to Hoffenheim, then won 4-2 vs Cologne, a team not known for scoring goals (33 in 34 games last season). Hamburg had a good start with three goals from old Ruud vN. Don't think they'll have a shot at the title, team is now decent all round, with Westermann and Mathijsen at the back, Jarolim, ancient Ze Roberto and Dutch Winger Elia in midfield plus RvN up front, should be good for a finish around 5th place. I expect Dortmund to finish just above them, a very young team (Sahin, Hummels, Götze, Schmelzer, Subotic and their new offensive midfielder, 21 year old Japanese Kagawa) behind the good striker Barrios.

As for my team Hertha, who were leading the Bundesliga table only 16 months ago and got relegated a desastrous season later. Two games, two victories, what a relief. But admittedly bad football so far, thankfully the 2nd division seems to be so weak that you can make plenty of mistakes and get away with them. But for now - after 2 of 34 matches - things are looking bright, because I am sure Hertha can play a lot better than they have so far which should then lead to plenty of clear victories. Hope I won't have to eat my hat in a couple of months...

Hmm, i guess you´re right.

Huntelaar, do you know the fee they paid for him? Imo it is a huge gamble to buy him, i presume it was not that cheap. As far as im concerned he is a more or less useless striker. I must have seen him play at least 10 times and cant see his strenghts as a football player. No control of the ball, not very good in the air, nor is he a fast runner. I never saw him when he scored loads of goals for Ajax a few years ago. Anyone know how he scored them? Is he good of the ball, when take on less good teams? Well, I would not be shocked if he went back to Holland next year.

Im surpriced about Wolfsburg so far still being very attackingminded under their new coach. He reverted dutch side, Twente to a very defensive one so i had expected the same with Wolfsburg. But 3-4 at home is not a result that implies on that to happen.

As I earlier suggested, Marin have now started the season VERY promising, im quite sure he´ll be in the starting lineup for Werder Bremen in the future. Few players have the ability to take defenders on like he does.