Any Team, Any League, Anywhere! (The Club Footy Thread)

Talk about everything but Kick Off.

Moderator: Moderators

hogstrom
1000+ Poster!
1000+ Poster!

Re: Any Team, Any League, Anywhere! (The Club Footy Thread)

Postby hogstrom » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:51 pm

To be honest, and i follow this division quite well, i cant recall when i saw a barcelona-player sent off at home last time. A wild guess would be a brawl when playing Real M. Do you know when it happened last, Rodolfo? Before or after world war II?

About McClaren, Robert Swifts idol, im close to 100% sure he moved back to Twente. 6-2 win away to PSV this weekend :shock: If i were him, i would settle down in Holland (Twente) and never move away, because he have awful record everywhere else. Poor, poor record at Nham, Wolfsburg, England, and i also add Mboro, where he had loads of cash bringing in Southgate for big money for instance, and reached only 9-10:th at best.
By car, Kickoff2-record traveller! Ostersund/Dusseldorf +3,750 km during +55 hours
Wcups: 2005 (29:th), 2006 (15:th), 2007 (6:th), 2008 (6:th), --, 2010 (12:th), --, --, --, 2014 (5:th), 2015 (12:th)...
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:02 pm

I see Hertha got an important away win over the weekend in what looks like a difficult return to the top flight. How's it going to end, Alex?

Our relegation to the second tier hasn't been easy either but to the surprise of most Birmingham fans we're unexpectedly in contention for a playoff place which in itself would be an amazing achievement given the contraints on the new manager.

Position Team Played Goal Difference Points

1 Southampton 39 37 78
2 Reading 39 22 73
3 West Ham 38 21 69
4 Brighton 39 8 62
5 Middlesbrough 38 3 61
6 Birmingham 38 19 60
7 Blackpool 39 10 60
8 Cardiff 39 7 60
9 Hull 38 6 58
10 Leeds United 39 2 57
11 Leicester 38 8 55
12 Derby 39 -8 55
13 Watford 39 -9 54
14 Crystal Palace 38 4 53
15 Ipswich 38 -6 51
16 Burnley 38 3 50
17 Barnsley 39 -15 46
18 Peterborough 38 -3 44
19 Millwall 39 -10 40
20 Nottm Forest 38 -18 39
21 Bristol City 39 -29 36
22 Coventry 39 -17 35
23 Doncaster 38 -30 31
24 Portsmouth 38 -5 30
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Sun May 13, 2012 5:15 pm

Not aware how other leagues across the KOA are concluding but it was an unbelievable finale to premiership today!!! :shock: I think everybody in the country (City fans included) thought they thrown it away but two injury time goals brought the title to Manchester City for the first time in 44 years!

1 Man City 38 64 89
2 Man Utd 38 56 89
3 Arsenal 38 25 70
4 Tottenham 38 25 69
5 Newcastle 38 5 65
6 Chelsea 38 19 64
7 Everton 38 10 56
8 Liverpool 38 7 52
9 Fulham 38 -3 52
10 West Brom 38 -7 47
11 Swansea 38 -7 47
12 Norwich 38 -14 47
13 Sunderland 38 -1 45
14 Stoke 38 -17 45
15 Wigan 38 -20 43
16 Aston Villa 38 -16 38
17 QPR 38 -23 37
18 Bolton 38 -31 36
19 Blackburn 38 -30 31
20 Wolves 38 -42 25
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Mon May 14, 2012 7:41 pm

To nobody's surprise (not even Alex's) but Villa finally got shot of their manager today after their worst ever season at home!. He's known as Agent 451 after his move across the city and I've had many a conversation with Si about the situation. On to better things now eh mate....

manicx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby manicx » Wed May 16, 2012 2:31 pm

Epic

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqum3c ... yyyy_sport

1 Wolves Fan Vs 100 Wigan fans

This is Spaartaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Wed May 16, 2012 6:03 pm

:eeko: :lolo:

Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Tripod » Wed May 30, 2012 8:15 am

gdh82 wrote:I see Hertha got an important away win over the weekend in what looks like a difficult return to the top flight. How's it going to end, Alex?

Well, actually, it ended bitterly, with a possibly scandalous decision by our Football Association (DFB). The turning point of the season was in November: Our coach was Markus Babbel (Ex-Bayern defender) and his contract was running out this summer and the bastard decided he didn't want to stay. For him Hertha was just a stepping stone to make it to a bigger club (=with more money to spend). He didn't care the fans loved him or anything. Naturally, the management was unhappy about that and fired him in December.

The season went downhill from then on, from a safe midfield spot we sank further and further and only just managed to avoid outright relegation, ending up third from bottom. That means a Play-Off vs the third best team of the 2nd division, Düsseldorf, for the last place in the top division. It was going to be tough, because Hertha had been playing really badly towards the end of the season.

The first match was at home and Hertha was actually playing pretty well all things considered, went up 1-0 at half-time and Düsseldorf only threatened our goal in the first few minutes of the game. But just after we missed a big chance for a 2-0 lead Düsseldorf equalised with a solo effort and suddenly, we were 1-2 down after yet another own goal.

So we had to win in Düsseldorf, away goal rules like the UEFA uses. After less than 30 seconds, we were 1-0 down. Which shouldn't really matter and the team took it well, dominated the match, scored the equaliser and looked like they would win. But then we had a player sent off and shortly after that were 1-2 down again. That prompted the Hertha fans to go apeshit, lighting up the illegal flares and throwing them onto the pitch, the Düsseldorf fans for some reason joined in and did the same, causing a break of a few minutes for everybody to calm down. After 85 minutes, Hertha equalised and only needed one more goal to stay in the first divison and knew they had more than 10 minutes because of the delay, the ref decided on 7 minutes injury time.

What happened then I believe has never happened before in German football. Because all the security guards and policemen had assembled in one corner of the stadium where Hertha and Düsseldorf fans had thrown the flares, hundreds of people from the rest of the stadium decided to climb down, stand right next to the pitch, waiting to storm it for the final whistle. The ref ignored this, which I could not understand, maybe they were waiting happily to celebrate, but what if Hertha scored? And then they stormed the pitch like lemmings after a few thought the final whistle had blown, even though at least 2 more minutes had to be played. A few hundred people at least. The teams had to flee and the fans took apart the pitch, somebody actually dug up a penalty spot, others took the corner flags... but the ref decided he was going to end the game no matter what, waited over 20 minutes until the pitch had cleared, brought the teams out again and blew the final whistle early, I'm pretty sure he didn't want to risk Hertha scoring another goal.

Hertha went to the courts and lost twice, that could be considered a scandal. The first decision was simply poor, any lawyer would have ripped it apart. But the higher court was no better. Obviously, the judge had seen the TV footage and yet the whole hearing was that Hertha was asked to prove that the team was put at a disadvantage. And the case was thrown out because according to the judge Hertha failed to prove that. How do you prove the obvious? How can you not say that the fans standing right on the egde of the pitch for several minutes - after these fans had already shown a tendency for violence and disorder 20 minutes early - were a threat and that a 20 minute break is a bigger disadvantage for a team that has to score that the opponent?

I believe that the German FA just wanted to protect its best referee. Stark is the German ref for the European Cup this summer, he refeered the Europa League final a few days before this match. He could have broken off the match and Düsseldorf would have probably lost a court case and Hertha stayed in the league. Our old "grand ref" Markus Merk said in an interview he would have ended the match, he has done it once in a similar situation and that Stark should have reacted sooner, a single fan on the edge of the pitch is one too many, let alone hundreds.

Even the missing corner flags and penalty spot alone would have been ground enough for a rematch, they are obligatory according to the rules and Stark and his team failed to notice they were missing, he had to admit. And yet the courts say that's fine, it's the refs decision on the day and the decision stands. So even if his decisions go against the rules set up by the association, it's worthy of protection.

So, anyway, Hertha most probably will have to play in the 2nd division next season. What also upsets me is the many articles which say Hertha deserves the relegation and deservedly lost against Düsseldorf. Ok, yes, we played a horrible season, but not as horrible as two other teams, Cologne and Kaiserslautern, which took the last two positions on the final table. And while I wouldn't go as far as saying Hertha dominated the two Play-Off games, we were at least equal, unlucky to lose the first game, unlucky not to go up 2-1 before we had a player sent off in the second game... so how can you say we deserved to lose? And call Hertha sore losers for even taking this to court, not only is it in the best interest of the club, it's absolutely correct in any case and many law professionals believe both courts made a wrong decision and certainly had bad explanations for their decisions. After this you really have to ask: What mistake would a ref need to make for a (anything but independent) court to overturn his decision? Do players need to be beaten into a bloody pulp for a court to say "ok, the team was put at a disadvantage"?
WC Performances 2003: 28/31 - 2004: 14/43 - 2005: 17/63 - 2006: 31/50 - 2008: 12/41 - 2009: 14/34 - 2010: 24/46
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Wed May 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Man, that's shocking, Alex. I'd seen the league table at various points but had no idea. The season had been hard enough as it was but to "lose" the playoff amid non-footballing issues must be incrediably hard for any fan to accept. Given the disorder, even vadalism that took place, and the loss of control by the ref, it would seem totally reasonable to have a rematch. Not much help but I'd feel outraged too if I was a Hertha fan. :(

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:40 pm

Season 2012-13 beckons.... if you have any thoughts or predictions on your team/league situation, then you're in the right place... :)

Birmingham City face the new season with yet another new manager as they try for a second time to get promoted from the Championship, england's second tier. Lee Clarke's a young, hungry and positive manager but has some shoes to fill following Chris Hughton's exit. I wish him well and to repeat last year's promtion play-off place would be a fine achiement. Off the field, this autumn we should also find out the fate of club owner Carson Yeung when his court case over money laundering claims reaches a conclusion. This has been hanging over the club for far too long and hopefully things can begin to get better once we achieve some kind of resolution. Just hope it doesn't get worse ffs!

Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Tripod » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:25 pm

Well, Hertha is now in the 2. Bundesliga again but the team isn't as good as last time we were relegated and immediate promotion seems doubtful. Started with 1W-1D-1L against mediocre teams, next up is Union Berlin, the other Berlin club in the 2nd division, if we win there, things don't look so bad.

As for the Bundesliga: It seems very easy to predict that the same three teams will take the top spots again: Dortmund, Bayern and Schalke. The only question is whether Dortmund can win a third time in a row or if Munich will strike back. Dortmund's team is basically unchanged except for one important new addition, Marco Reus, who had a fantastic season with Gladbach last season and was voted player of the year. Just one worry for Dortmund: They lost their number 2 striker, Barrios, who was not content with playing second fiddle to Lewandowski. If the Polish international suffers a serious injury their only backup is Julian Schieber, who did fairly well when loaned out to smaller clubs but who knows if he is good enough for Dortmund's ambitions.

While Bayern invested heavily in new players, they just paid a record sum for Martinez (Bilbao). They also bought Dante, one of the best central defenders in the league last season, Mandzukic from Wolfsburg as an alternative for Gomez, Pizarro also returning to Munich as a backup and the talented Swiss midfielder Shaqiri. He'll probably not force Robben or Ribery out of the team, but since both of them seem to miss every other match due to weird injuries he'll probably get a lot of playing time. Still, it might well depend on those two and how many matches they miss whether Bayern can grab the title or not.

Schalke should be the third best team in the Bundesliga again. They've been waiting since 1958 to win a championship, have come antagonisingly close a number of times, Huntelaar has become a deadly goalgetter... but still I doubt they can leave both Bayern and Dortmund behind. Tough to judge the rest of the league, just about every other major club had a disappointing last season. Magath's Wolfsburg has a huge squad of pretty good players but so far the manager hasn't formed them into a real team. Leverkusen has a well balanced squad, maybe lacking the top quality players who can decide a match by themselves. Gladbach lost its two key players, Reus to Dortmund, Dante to Bayern, the money was reinvested into the squad but I predict they won't do as well as last season (4th). Maybe add Bremen to the list of teams competing for the spots to enter the international competitions, the rest should be more concerned with relegation than title or Champions League dreams.
WC Performances 2003: 28/31 - 2004: 14/43 - 2005: 17/63 - 2006: 31/50 - 2008: 12/41 - 2009: 14/34 - 2010: 24/46
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Tripod » Mon May 13, 2013 11:15 am

Disgraceful, nobody posted in this thread since I did at the beginning of the season. Now that the seasons is drawing to a close, here's another summary.

Hertha: Excellent season. Finished top of the second division again by a large margin, so it seems like the 2nd division is too small for us. The "black swan" was Ronny - bought originally only to keep his brother Raffael happy, always overweight, totally unprofessional. After being relegated (again), Raffael wanted to leave the club and Dynamo Kiev had the money we desperately needed. But he had a difficult time in the Ukraine, he was loaned out to Schalke for the second half of the season where he did very well. Anyway, now Ronny was alone in Berlin and we thought we'd never see him play again - instead, he became our new playmaker in midfield, scoring a tremendous 18 goals plus 14 assists in 32 matches. 13 of those 18 goals from shots from outside the box, including 5 direct free kicks, unheard of in German football previously. We still worry if he's good enough for the Bundesliga, but certainly his free kicks should be a weapon.

Bundesliga: A record breaking season for Bayern, just one loss and four draws, scoring 94 goals and conceding only 15 in 33 matches. In December it was decided that at the end of the season the old manager Jupp Heynckes would have to go and that he'll be replaced by none other than Pep Guardiola. There was some fear that this would have a negative effect on the rest of the season, but the total opposite became true, the team basically became unbeatable, a long run without even conceding a goal and scores up to 6-1 vs Bremen and Hanover, and 9-2 vs Hamburg, not exactly underdog teams.

Dortmund also had a good season, finishing 2nd, though way behind Bayern Munich. Of course, both teams will face each other in the Champion's League final which shows just how strong both teams are. I predicted Schalke would take third place, but after a good start to the season they had a row of painful defeats, the manager got sacked and was replaced by a youth coach who did well enough to be rewarded with a new contract for next season. But Schalke is still struggling for 4th place, they have to travel to Freiburg on the last day of the season next Saturday - and if they lose, Freiburg will overtake Schalke. Which would simply be sensational, considering Freiburg's squad of young "nobodies". While Leverkusen in 3rd position will definitely play in the CL next season. In August I wrote that they don't have any outstanding players - which turned out to be slightly wrong, because striker Stefan Kießling had a great season, scoring 24 goals so far, one more than Mandzukic scored for Bayern. But oddly enough, Germany manager Löw refuses to nominate him for the German squad - not even when both Gomez (who lost out to Mandzukic at Bayern Munich) and old man Klose are injured. He'd rather play without striker, Löw says.
Abyss

Postby Abyss » Fri May 17, 2013 7:46 am

This is our Sir Alex :)

It's amazing that Dortmund, finishing even below Olympiakos last year in the CL group round, has reached this level (whereas Olympiakos... never mind).

Totally off topic but... two weeks ago Olympiakos beat Rodolfo in the Euroleague final, becoming the european back to back basketball champion. The Final Four was held in London (where nobody, I guess, gives a fuck about basketball and especially eurpean basketball).
Rodolfo
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Rodolfo » Mon May 20, 2013 11:29 am

I do not really care about basketball, but anyway, it has been a very dissapointing end of the season for Rodolfo, with not a single trophy.

Rodolfo Martín. KO2 Player. KOA member since 2002. FEKO # 1.