The 2010 FIFA World Cup thread

Talk about everything but Kick Off.

Moderator: Moderators

Binary
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Re: The 2010 FIFA World Cup thread

Postby Binary » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:32 am

I agree Rodolfo. Spain deserved to win, and Portugal doesn't know how to come back into a game after being down on the scoreboard - they never did! :D

And I also agree that Spain isn't playing as well as was expected, judging from the quality of the squad. You know my opinion, I blame the "coach".

They're through to the semi-finals, a tired and inefficient Paraguay won't do any damage :D
World Cup 2015 Bronze Cup/Steve Screech Cup Winner

aka "The Kick Off 2 Hustler" and officially the best Portuguese Kick Off player living in Ireland.
manicx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby manicx » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:41 am

I was a bit surprised by the substitutions in Spain. In the last minutes, almost all 'first class' attackers were replace inlcuding Villa. What if Portugal was equalizing? They would have to go to extra time with one attacker...
Rodolfo
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Rodolfo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:56 am

manicx wrote:I was a bit surprised by the substitutions in Spain. In the last minutes, almost all 'first class' attackers were replaced inlcuding Villa. What if Portugal was equalizing? They would have to go to extra time with one attacker...

Very right, we said that here too. But I am sure that there was a logical explanation (I do not want to have to agree about Del Bosque poor coaching with Pedro :D )

Rodolfo Martín. KO2 Player. KOA member since 2002. FEKO # 1.
Binary
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Binary » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:34 pm

It has just been proven that the spanish goal was offside. Don't worry, I'm not going to "do an England" here - we did lose well and deserve to go out of this competition ;) :D

aka "The Kick Off 2 Hustler" and officially the best Portuguese Kick Off player living in Ireland.
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:38 pm

Christiano "Spitfire" Ronaldo. I rest my case.
-----------------------------
Jørn F.M.
Founding member of FÖKOF (and FAKO).
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Wayne's and Nick's Carreer Ender
Manager of The People's Lockout!
Il portiere è mongoloide!
Robert

Postby Robert » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:40 am

Pedro, sorry to see the Portugoose go out. But be kinder when you imply that the English went out with poor grace. Everyone accepts we were not good enough. The problem was not the disallowed goal but the four we let in.
Binary
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Binary » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:04 am

Robert Swift wrote:Pedro, sorry to see the Portugoose go out. But be kinder when you imply that the English went out with poor grace. Everyone accepts we were not good enough. The problem was not the disallowed goal but the four we let in.

Sorry, that was just my normal attempt at cynicism.

The way I see it, England, Portugal and Italy were not up to what we expect of them, and need to reformulate their football. Perhaps the issues are different between all three - England need new blood, specifically in a few critical positions, Portugal needs direction, and proper management, Italy perhaps a bit of both. Until that happens, I can't see any of them actually going very far.

I'd like to say "hats off" to a few specific players though. Gerrard, because despite not being in his usual position, he's a fighter. Besides being a very technically talented player, he never stops fighting and pushing the team forward, never giving up. Eduardo, because he was, most likely, one of the best keepers in the World Cup. He conceded 1 goal and that was enough to go out, but he possibly stopped 4 or 5 very likely goals from Brasil and Spain.

I didn't watch Italy that well but it seems to me there was a problem of morale there (not as bad as France though). I can't pinpoint a player that has been very bad, or one that has been very good... I still have the impression that that squad, if they really wanted, could have gone further ahead in the competition.

Binary
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Binary » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:04 am

Consider yourselves warned! ;)

Semtex
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Semtex » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:22 am

Just thought I'd pop in again. Mainly to congratulate the Iberians on a decent game, Portugal defended brilliantly, but Spain look fantastic going forward. However, like the other teams I've seen they seem a bit dodgy at the back, maybe just nerves? Look forward to their semi (the quarters against Paraguay will be like the Portugal game only without any counter-attacks even...)
Worried for the Germans...
Spain for the Final
Can our Dutch friends make it an all European final? IIRC no European team has ever won outside of Europe.
And finally England again: Constants and variables
McClaren manages England and is total failure. Manages European club and is total success
Capello manages European clubs and is total success. Manages England and is total failure.

So sure, bring in a rule about home-grown players. then you'll have a shit league and a shit national team.
Arsene Wenger has had a shed-load of English youngsters come and go at Arsenal. Why let them go? If he can see they ain't good enough then why be forced to play them? If they can't force their way into the team on merit then they can't be considered top-class players, never mind be able to make the leap to international, let alone world cup winning, performances.
Sascha

Postby Sascha » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:49 am

Binary wrote:Consider yourselves warned! ;)

That does not scare me at all! :D

Although I do not believe it will happen. German team lacks experience. If have the feeling they will get into big trouble if they conceed a goal and are behind. This might not happen against Argentina, but against Spain it is going to be end of the road, I am afraid.
But still it is fun watching this young team play. For 2014 and perhaps already for EC in 2012 they are ready.

Sorry for the English team that the clear goal did not count. I must admit that I had to laugh, as did everyone in the all-german room that I watched this match, when everybody was shouting "Wembleeeeeey" :) Good to see that the English take it as good sports. I think the better team has won (that is the case for Wembley and this recent match).
Visit http://www.kickoff2.com

- German Kick Off 2 Headquarter and Forum
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:22 pm

Amazing symmetry there, Pedro! :eeko: Had heard something about Germany not going 20 years without winning but didn't realise the other patterns.

Looking forward to Holland v Brazil. Hope it's somewhere near as good as it sounds! 8)
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:56 pm

Well, I hate to say I told you so...

alkis21 wrote:I'm going to risk a prediction and say that I have big hopes for the last team that broke into the private club to do it again: Holland. I know they weren't too impressive in the first round but their qualification was without sweating at all and they didn't even have Roben yet. They're playing with much more logic in their game than they did in 2008. I see no weaknesses in their lineup with the possible exception of a tall & strong striker, and their defensive line is stronger than ever. I believe that they have what it takes to kick the Brazilians out of the competition in the quarter finals; Brazil appears to rely a lot on their wings and the Dutch have very strong wing backs that can destroy their game. Furthermore, Gilberto Silva and Felipe Melo are strong but no match for Sneijder and Rafael van der Vaart in terms of speed.

Who am I kidding? I love saying I told you so!

Not only did Holland win, the match went exactly as I had described. The Brazilians could not attack at all with their wings neutralized, Gilberto Silva and Felipe Melo were absolutely horrible, all they could do was watch the Dutch pass the ball around, they could neither help their team develop nor deny the Dutch possession, and inevitably Sneijder was man of the match.

And once again the Brazilians were total bitches... why are they so totally incapable of not behaving like the spoiled brats they are every single time they lose to a superior team? Wankers.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Robert

Postby Robert » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:00 pm

Oh my God!! Sascha is here?!?!?!

I was going to say how delighted I was to see Holland put out Brazil, but I think I just witnessed a minor miracle!!!