The 2010 FIFA World Cup thread

Talk about everything but Kick Off.

Moderator: Moderators

alkis21

The 2010 FIFA World Cup thread

Postby alkis21 » Wed May 12, 2010 11:20 am

This is going to be the KOA's third FIFA world cup, and the first one with Greece in it (shit)! Let me start our usual thread where we can all insult and laugh at each other's teams in an orderly fashion.

I'll begin with my predictions, although I don't know much about non-European teams:

Group A
France
Mexico
Uruguay
South Africa

I know nothing about South Africa but I believe durban who says that they have a very poor team. France is hardly an unbeatable team but I reckon they'll go through to the next round. What makes this group interesting is that it's consisted of three teams that struggled to qualify to the world cup and one that didn't even need to. Prediction: France, Mexico, Uruguay, South Africa

Group B
Argentina
Greece
Nigeria
Korea Republic

I think this one is pretty straightforward. The Koreans will give the valiant fight they always give and the Greek defense will not concede goals easily, but in the end it will get them nowhere. Argentina is one of the favorites for the title. Prediction: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece

Group C
England
USA
Algeria
Slovenia

England will win this group. The obvious choice for 2nd place is Slovenia who shocked the world by disqualifying the Russians, but I'm going to risk a different guess and put my money (so to speak) on the Americans. Prediction: England, USA, Slovenia, Algeria

Group D
Germany
Serbia
Australia
Ghana

Tough one. I expect a lot of close matches that will be decided on details. Prediction: Ghana, Germany, Serbia, Australia

Group E
Netherlands
Cameroon
Denmark
Japan

Can the Dutch demonstrate the same impressive football they played in the Euros? I believe that they can. Cameroon has some quality players but apparently not an equally quality team. The Japanese will run a lot but they won't go anywhere. Prediction: Netherlands, Denmark, Cameroon, Japan

Group F
Italy
Paraguay
Slovakia
New Zealand

The Italian stars have aged so I doubt they will go far in South Africa but they couldn't have asked for an easier group, at least on paper. Tough to say who will follow them to the next round. Prediction: Italy, Paraguay, Slovakia, New Zealand

Group G
Brazil
Portugal
Cote d'Ivoire
Korea DPR

The most important match of this group is the opening one: the winner of Portugal - Cote d'Ivoire will most probably make it to the next round. I'm actually tempted to choose the Africans because the Portuguese are suicidal and they haven't played according to their true potential in years. However, they are lucky to play against the Brazilians in the last day and if the latter are qualified by then they will get the points they need. I am glad that Korea DPR will be there, maybe Greece won't be the worst team of the competition this time. Prediction: Brazil, Portugal, Cote d'Ivoire, Korea DPR

Group H
Spain
Chile
Switzerland
Honduras

I don't see why Spain shouldn't be considered the favorite for this world cup. I know next to nothing about the other teams but I'm hearing good things about Chile. Prediction: Spain, Chile, Switzerland, Honduras
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Re: The 2010 FIFA World Cup thread

Postby Tripod » Wed May 12, 2010 12:39 pm

I'll chip in. Maybe people should write a little about their home country. So: Fear Germany! As always, really, we are unhappy with our team right before the WC - if the past is any indication, that should mean the semi-finals at least.

Goal: Young Adler was to be the definite no. 1 keeper (with only 9 caps under his belt), but he's injured and won't make it. Which probably means the similarly young Neuer (just 2 caps) will be our keeper. He's good, but in the league ever so often he'll leave his line when he shouldn't.

Defense: Two players are certain and good: Lahm (LWB or RWB) and Mertesacker (CB). We have neither got another really good CB nor WB, so we'll have to see who Löw goes with. Despite Hertha's relegation (sigh), our captain Arne Friedrich played very well in the second half of the season, I would be tempted to pair him with Mertesacker.

Midfield: We have three interesting, very young players, who could take up three offensive parts in midfield: Kroos (1 cap) in the center, Özil and Marin (7, 8 caps) on the wings. The two latter play together for Bremen and though Özil had a better first half of the season and Marin a better second half, the two of them together definitely are a real threat. Behind them I'd probably put Frings (also Bremen), but he fell out with Löw and wasn't nominated. So it looks like Ballack and Schweinsteiger together and just one striker. Schweinsteiger used to play more offensively, even on the right wing, but Bayern's van Gaal successfully turned him into a DM.

Attack: Klose, Gomez, Podolski - those were considered the best options up front, Klose and "Poldi" have paired up together a number of times for Germany. But all of them have completely lost their form. Klose and Gomez hardly make appearances for Bayern anymore, surprisingly Ivica Olic has overtaken both of them. And Cologne only played worse when Podolski started. Admittedly, Klose and Poldi's only good games in the last few years were for Germany. But judging by the current form Kießling (3 caps) has to start.
WC Performances 2003: 28/31 - 2004: 14/43 - 2005: 17/63 - 2006: 31/50 - 2008: 12/41 - 2009: 14/34 - 2010: 24/46
Jam King

Postby Jam King » Wed May 12, 2010 10:13 pm

I would have to agree with Alkis with the England group, I think USA will finish second in the group they have become a stronger team since they hosted the world cup and also with Beckham playing there it created a lot of publicity for soccer over in the states and have a few quality players like Donavon from LA Galaxy who was on loan at Everton this season and Demsey the Fulham midfielder.

I was born in 1979 so my first proper world cup was Italy 90, I remember a little of Mexico 86 mainly because I had the panini stickers albums and was always walking around with a handful of swapsies, but I have to say this is the strongest England team that I have known and even tho there are still a few players that I would personally not take on the whole I think the squad, (if all fit) looks pretty strong.

Joe Hart has to start in goal, he has been amazing at the blues this season even tho it pains me to say it, but noone comes close to him. He is commanding and brave and is a superb shot stopper, where green and james are prone to the odd clanger.

I would play Terry and Dawson at the back to start, Ferdinand is ok but his decision making can be dicey and I think he has lost a yard of pace to. Dawson has had a great season and Terry will always give you 100 %. There is so much Hype about Ledley King going and even tho I personally think he is one of the best defenders we have, he simply cant go as he needs 5 days off after every game because of his knees.

Ashley Cole is a must and so is Baines as cover. The right back position is awkward gary neville is getting on a bit now but I would still prefer him over Johnson who is great at attacking but is probably defensively the shittest right back in the Prem.

Lampard, Gerrad, Milner, Barry (if fit), Carrick are all musts. There have been talks about England trying to get Scholes out of retirement, what the fuck for, to give the opposition lots of free kick practice!!!!. I dont think I have seen a proffessional player be so inept at tackling as Paul Scholes, he has had his day.

Roooooneyyyyyyyyy well what can we say just a total football monster and probably with the exception of Messi will be the one to watch. All depends on his strike partner. Will prob start with Heskey. As a Villa fan I guess im supposed to try and big him up but I cant because he is probably the laziest forward I have seen in a while yet he still walks into the England squad. I just dont get it. Defoe is sharp and crouch provides you with a number of options. Bent isnt bad but I just wonder if he will struggle at that level. I never thought I would ever say this but I would possibly have given Zamora a chance he has added so much to his game this year.

I think the core of the England team is real quality this time round and I think with a bit of luck that all teams need and maybe a bit of magic from someone like Milner or Joe Cole I can see at least a semi final place. I cant wait I have booked the first two weeks off from work and will be so shit faced I will prob need another week to recover.
Simon K officially has the best defence in the world, not just the UK but the world !!! AGAIN!!!!!
hogstrom
1000+ Poster!
1000+ Poster!

Postby hogstrom » Thu May 13, 2010 12:32 am

Ok, small comment on the players Maradona picked for Argentina last night. For some odd reason he decided to leave out both Cambiasso (DM) and Zanetti. This is a horrible decision.

This pair played a big part when Inter lockouted Barcelona in the second championsl. semifinal. Instead he (Maradona) decided to pick two argentinian Championship players from Newcastle... :roll:

If Argentina fail to deliver Maradona will be remembered as a, lightly said, useless coach. And the argentinian FA will be very embaressed. Afterall, they were the ones that employed him.

Well, Sweden did not make it this time, so no comment from me this year. But im looking forward to the Wcup, it will be very interesting to watch the majority of the matches.
By car, Kickoff2-record traveller! Ostersund/Dusseldorf +3,750 km during +55 hours
Wcups: 2005 (29:th), 2006 (15:th), 2007 (6:th), 2008 (6:th), --, 2010 (12:th), --, --, --, 2014 (5:th), 2015 (12:th)...
Abyss

Postby Abyss » Thu May 13, 2010 9:00 am

As Maradonna so eloquently puts it:

Los que no creyeron... con perdón de las damas, que me la sigan chupando

Yo soy o blanco o negro. Gris no voy a ser en mi vida. Ustedes me trataron como me trataron, sigan mamando
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Sat May 15, 2010 9:27 pm

Jam King wrote:I was born in 1979 so my first proper world cup was Italy 90, I remember a little of Mexico 86 mainly because I had the panini stickers albums and was always walking around with a handful of swapsies, but I have to say this is the strongest England team that I have known and even tho there are still a few players that I would personally not take on the whole I think the squad, (if all fit) looks pretty strong.

Jam King wrote:I think the core of the England team is real quality this time round and I think with a bit of luck that all teams need and maybe a bit of magic from someone like Milner or Joe Cole I can see at least a semi final place. I cant wait I have booked the first two weeks off from work and will be so shit faced I will prob need another week to recover.

Superb post! :gban: and it's got me even more up for this world cup
I have a few more memorys from Mexico 86 and regard this as my first one. The whole of 1986 was magical for me in that it was also the year of the my first FA Cup Final (Liverpool v Everton - chose the Blue team and they lost lol...an harsh life lesson that im still learning today with the B'ham hehe). Remember on the day of the first game traipising through the local town to buy 'Shoot' and then after having some tea on the night, I watched the first game of the day. Italy v Bulgaria. Walter Zenga in goal! hehe

Didnt watch every game of course but have fond memories of England. Being a kid and having none of the cynism you encounter in adult life I couldnt believe it when I woke up one morning to find out we'd lost to Portugal 1-0. After that I begged my parents if I could watch the other England games. Remember us playing Morroco at about 2am and even though we drew 0-0 it seemed like a superb encounter! Then Lineker and Beardsley found their form and the rest is History.

World CUp is such as a great time with anticipation high and the nation expecting and even after that, it's superb to see everyone getting into football - even those who normally wouldnt. Plus it's not just England, I lost watching the other games too. Getting home from work and watching Football all night...f*cking superb! South Africa v Mexico wouldnt normally be a game I'd clamour to see but this is the World CUp ffs! and anything can happen. I reckon the hosts will qualify to be honest with you.
Then it's onto a particular tricky encoutner for France who lets face it, cheated their way into the tournament anyway.
Onto the Saturday the games sound superb even without the nailbiting game that will be England v USA.
Unsure about Serbia V Ghana on the Sunday but you never know!
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
Rodolfo
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Rodolfo » Sun May 16, 2010 3:11 pm

Abyss wrote:As Maradonna so eloquently puts it:

Los que no creyeron... con perdón de las damas, que me la sigan chupando

Yo soy o blanco o negro. Gris no voy a ser en mi vida. Ustedes me trataron como me trataron, sigan mamando

Just in case someone does not speak spanish, I will do the translation:

"Those who did no believe [in me] ... sorry for the ladies, keep on licking [my cock]

I am black or white. I will never be grey in my life. You treated me as you did, keep on sucking [my cock]"

It is a pity some people do not die young.

Rodolfo Martín. KO2 Player. KOA member since 2002. FEKO # 1.
Jam King

Postby Jam King » Tue May 18, 2010 5:08 pm

Big loss for Germany this week with Capt Ballack being ruled out. Im not mega up to date with the German side but I know that Ballack will be a real loss. Im havent been overly impressed with him at Chelsea but to be honest he is a small fish in a very big pond there but I have seen what he is capable of and I feel players of this quality can only be a loss to the world cup. Im looking forward to watching Messi play as he is easily the most gifted player in the world at the moment, Im just waiting for Martin O neil to but a cheeky exchange for Messi with Heskey this summer.... Not
Simon K officially has the best defence in the world, not just the UK but the world !!! AGAIN!!!!!
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Wed May 26, 2010 7:02 am

alkis21 wrote:I am glad that Korea DPR will be there, maybe Greece won't be the worst team of the competition this time.

Hahaha :lol: :lol: I guess I spoke too soon... Greece played their first friendly match yesterday and it was against Korea DPR. The final result was 2-2 and if there was a team that deserved the win, it was the Asians.

I regret to say that this year our team is probably going to be even worse than the one we had in 2008. We have no great goalkeepers, our wing backs are terrible, our defensive midfielders are nowhere near as special as the ones we had in 2004, and our strikers are out of shape as most of them had terrible seasons. Furthermore, our team is unnaturally tall (Rehagel's fetish; he'd start 11 Peter Crouch if he had them) and slow, we have no wingers to speak of and our key players (mainly Karagounis and Katsouranis) have not aged gracefully and they don't have the lungs to last a whole match at this level. The man who I see as the superstar of our team, 19 year old Sotiris Ninis (watch him destroy Roma in Italy last February) will probably not play at all in this world cup as he has a major flaw: he is a short football player, while Rehagel prefers tall construction workers for his team. He also has this weird habit of always playing with three attackers, but as Greece always plays far back two of them actually play as wing midfielders and of course they are useless in that role, they can neither defend properly nor create chances. Why on earth doesn't he use actual midfielders in the wings instead of 1.95cm players is beyond me.

If you put a gun on my head and ask me to come up with a few good words for the Greek team, I'd say that our center backs are decent and we are always dangerous in set pieces.
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Fri May 28, 2010 6:09 pm

Some really thoughtful posts to this thread. The closer it gets, the more I look forward to the WC! :D Actually enjoying all the hype and it seems every product and service under the sun is cashing in on the event! Must resist getting too carried away with England's chances. Knocked out at the QF at the last two WCs and a SF finish in 1990 (was in Germany at the time on an inter-rail holiday!) have been was our best showings since 1966 of course! 8) An unconvincing friendly win over Mexico the other night helps put our feet back on the ground, even if the line-up was changed considerably.

Nevertheless, we've expecting to top our group (C), could meet Serbia/Ghana in the last 16, then maybe France/Argentina in the QF and *if* we jump that hurdle possibly Netherlands/Brazil in SF. As much as I dream, can't realistically see us going all the way, but you never say never....

Anybody see the hilarious 'England's Worst Ever Football Team' on BBC3 the other night? If ever we needed some get-real tv this was it. We've had some donkeys in our team over the years! :lol:

Going back to the adverts, like these two, especially the 'Visa' one.........

As always, the BBC site has got some great content though I imagine the videos will be limited to UK viewing.
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Mon May 31, 2010 7:30 am

Check out these awesome posters (for some reason I don't understand they call them murals) ESPN made, one for each team. Denmark, France and Japan are my favorites ones.

gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby gdh82 » Mon May 31, 2010 9:51 am

Think England could be dragging that stone around for a few more years if our Japanese jitters are anything to go by! :yikes:
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Jam King

Postby Jam King » Mon May 31, 2010 3:25 pm

Too right Gaz, are there any other England fans who are a little worried after yesterdays fiasco?????.

I know people will say its only a friendly, which it was but it was also the last chance for certain players, such as theo (can't cross,Cant pass, cant shoot) wallcott to make a mark and try and get one of the few remaining places on the plane. Yet even tho it was a friendly it just seemed to me that every player on that pitch seemed to think they were safe and all going to the world cup when it just simply isnt the case. I know that everybody is also trying to avoid getting injured but yesterdays display was just too soft. That yesterday was I imagine to be our starting strongest defence and it was a little shaky at times. I think Terry was ok but Rio wasnt as assured as he should be. I also hope Barry is fit cause Lamps looks a little out of sorts at the moment. There is no doubt that he is a class player but he simply doesnt produce when in an England shirt. The game changed alot when Gerrard came on. He took it by the scruff of the neck and calmed it down and got some passing going which we needed cause I think we would have lost yesterday without his change. Hopefully the heart and courage will be there when we get to South Africa which Im sure it will. There are a few players in the squad that simply arent good enough and hopefully they wont have a place, cause the competition is going to be tough and the USA will give us a very good game and if we play like yesterday we will have a few problems.