Moderator: Moderators

durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Novel Thread

Postby durban » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:38 pm

Does anyone read books on an Iphone?

If so what app do you reccomend.

some apps are a bit basic, I like the idea of being able to change the fonts and the background (ie to make it look like a page) and also have some sort of archive of books within the program, rather than having to search and open...

any suggestions are gratefully received.

Not actually sure I could read a whole book on an Iphone to be honest, I love holding a book there is something special about it...
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Wonka
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Wonka » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:45 pm

alkis21 wrote:I did like it. I've read a lot of his books (Camber even helped me order a dozen of his paperbacks a few years ago, before I discovered the wonders of e-books), I think Koontz repeats himself a bit too much and most of his early work is trash, but there are several gems among his novels. I highly recommend Lightning and Midnight.

Yes, I've heard these are very good. I will read these sooner rather than later.
Wonka: 4th member of the England world cup heroes along with Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters.
Wonka
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Wonka » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:03 pm

durban wrote:Does anyone read books on an Iphone?

If so what app do you reccomend.

some apps are a bit basic, I like the idea of being able to change the fonts and the background (ie to make it look like a page) and also have some sort of archive of books within the program, rather than having to search and open...

any suggestions are gratefully received.

Not actually sure I could read a whole book on an Iphone to be honest, I love holding a book there is something special about it...

I've tried reading on Iphone, and for me, it sucks big time!

I totally agree with you about having a book in your hands, there's something special and also something beautiful about it. For me, the information seeps into my emotions gloriously as well as my mind when I read a book in its physical form. Electronic reading doesn't do that for me no matter how well it's written.

At least, I don't think it does.
Wonka: 4th member of the England world cup heroes along with Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters.
Wonka
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Wonka » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:16 pm

Date finished: Around Christmas time last year
Title: Jaws
Author: Peter Benchley
Score: 7/10

I was intrigued to see how a Great White shark could possibly be so scary in the form of words in a written story. I wasn't dissapointed, but I must say, the film is far superior.

It was very interesting the way that Benchley told the first chapter through the eyes of the shark, and it was impressive the way he described it moving through the water, detecting humans through the signals in the deep. I think he probably should have wrote it in a 3rd person limited mode though, as the omnisient POV seemed to kill the intimacy that I felt was lacking.

In my opinion, no author could write something like this and make it more frightening than the classic movie. I haven't been an avid reader for very long, I'm the first to admit that, but I am an avid reader now, and my experience tells me that some things are just meant for the big screen and can't really be bettered with literature. And vice-versa of course!

After reading Jaws, I would have gone back in the water if I hadn't seen the film.
Wonka
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Wonka » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:46 pm

Date finished: Today
Title: Souls of Angels
Author: Thomas Eidson
Score: 7.5/10

A murder story with a good twist. Beautifully written with vastly superior scenery descriptions. If I had found the main character more interesting (not that Sister Ria was dislikable though), I would have gave this book a 9/10.
Robert Swift

Postby Robert Swift » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:10 pm

The best book I read in 2009 was in fact this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Eternal-Youth-Amaranth-Trilogy/dp/0955746019/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264273599&sr=1-16

Odd thing is, it's written by my old ma. If anyone wants to give it a try, you can order it from Amazon (ignore the fact it says out of stock, they have it) or I can get you one for next time I see you.
JZ

Postby JZ » Wed May 05, 2010 10:23 pm

Logged on today to warn anyone who was thinking of buying an on-line Sky subscription, not to, because they are fucking useless (tried to legally watch the Spurs-Man City game, but could not as their shite software continually registers phantom computers until I was told I had too many devices registered to watch :evil: :evil: )

Got sidetracked by reading the threads about Greece and whatever latest racist nonsense Wonka wrote before it got deleted (which is a shame, because some of his posts with his unconvential views are interesting, indicating a certain level of intelligence, while on the other hand others indicate a mind being easily led by bullshit, indicating a complete lack of intelligence)

Anyway, it moved me to recommend the book I'm reading at the moment which I think encompasses many of the issues talked about superbly (racism, history, capitalism, human nature, and as all the best books do, the human condition basically...):

Sacred Hunger by Barry Unsworth (never heard of it before, but it won the booker prize in 1992 which helped persuade me to give it a try)
-plot is ostensibly about the slave trade in the 18th century, set in Liverpool, Africa, America and the high seas, but it's about so much more than that.
If anyone fancies a book to read, it comes highly recommended.

(And Sky are cunts)