The Novel Thread

Talk about everything but Kick Off.

Moderator: Moderators

Wonka
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

The Novel Thread

Postby Wonka » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:10 pm

Ok, now that I write a lot, I read a lot. I probably get through one novel per week. I thought you might want to share your reading experiences and opinions too. I'll start it all off.

Date finshed: 01/01/10
Title: Bram Stoker's Dracula.
Score: 10/10

I have never read anything so beautiful in all my life. Pisses all over the film. There is nothing like it.

Date finshed: 09/01/10
Title: Salem's Lot (Stephen King).
Score: 7/10

A thrilling read at times, spine-chilling and disturbing (the chapter when the baby was being physically abused brought me to tears that trickled down my cheeks like rivulets), but so much was ruined by the use of tiresome info dumps and amateurish adverbs.

This was the King's second novel though, so I forgive him. I love his warped, wicked imagination. He is the King after all.
Wonka: 4th member of the England world cup heroes along with Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters.
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Novel Thread

Postby durban » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:07 am

Our Mel agrees with your 10/10 for Dracula, but says that the Anne Rice books (Interview with the vampire etc, queen of the damned etc) are equally as good (and in the case of Interview are also so much better than the film in terms of creating an atmosphere of tension)

I am reading Tom Clancy at the moment, Rainbow Six to be precise.
Although it has lost a lot of its edge due to recent events I still find it to be extremely gripping reading and HUGE in terms of pages...its about 1000 pages long ffs....
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
JBeman

Postby JBeman » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:55 am

Raymond Feist is cool :)
Wonka
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Wonka » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:56 pm

durban wrote:Our Mel agrees with your 10/10 for Dracula, but says that the Anne Rice books (Interview with the vampire etc, queen of the damned etc) are equally as good (and in the case of Interview are also so much better than the film in terms of creating an atmosphere of tension)

I am reading Tom Clancy at the moment, Rainbow Six to be precise.
Although it has lost a lot of its edge due to recent events I still find it to be extremely gripping reading and HUGE in terms of pages...its about 1000 pages long ffs....

Nice one Durban! I want to read some of Tom Clancy's stuff, I keep hearing great things about him.

As for Anne Rice, I have read "Intervew with the Vampire" and it was excellent. The descriptive, savage murdering of the vampire "Lestat" was breathtaking. An astonishing read.

I have read some of "Queen of the Damned" but I was moving home at the time and never got round to finishing it off. For me, it was good, but Interview with the Vampire was much better if my memory serves me well. Bram Stoker's Dracula is superior though, in my opinion anyway. In fact, it's probably the best book I've ever read.

Durban. Could you remind me of what you thought of "The Lord of the Rings." Now that I've read them twice, I'm beginning to realize how beautiful they really are. I think I'll read them again quite soon, they just take getting used to I think.
Wonka: 4th member of the England world cup heroes along with Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters.
Wonka
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Wonka » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:27 pm

Date finshed: 13/01/10
Title: This year's class Picture
Author: Dan Simmons
Score: 9/10

This short story was a pleasent surprse. It's about a school teacher, living out her days in a barricaded school whilst the living dead take over the world. Sadly, the children that she loves so dearly are no longer human and she has them chained in a classroom.

She keeps the dead bodies of other teachers in a refrigerator and feeds them to the children (when they are good and show signs of learning), and she just doesn't have the heart to kill them. Rarely have I read an ending to a story that made me tremble with excitement, but this was just one of those rare stories I suppose.

Read it! You won't be dissapointed.

Date finshed: 13/01/10
Title: Blossom
Author: David J Schow
Score: 7/10

Another short zombie story. This one is about a sadomasochist who kills a woman during sex at the worst possible time. Fucking hilarious!
Wonka
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Wonka » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm

Date finshed: Just before Christmas last year (For the second time)
Title: Stephen King on Writing
Author: Stephen King

Ok, this book was particularly brilliant for me because of what I'm trying to achieve in life, but my goodness, what a compelling read. Stephen King talks about his life before he published "Carrie," and then he goes on to talk about the magnificent impact that writing has had on his life.

He shares some excellent information about the craft, and everything he says is so inspiring, heartfelt, gutsy, and truthful. And when he speaks of his accident that should have killed him, it's so engaging you sometimes forget to breathe.

This book is my bible and Stephen really is my King!
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:30 pm

Rikki,

Lord of the Rings was a fantastic book, its beauty lay in the descriptive writing that created a world in your own mind.

Unfortunately, whilst I enjoyed the films they did serve to remove the 'personal' world in which my 'Lord of the Rings' experience lived.

Its a bit like Dan Brown books, when I read the Lost Symbol I kept imaginging the main character looking like Tom Hanks....its just that once you have seen someone elses interpretation its hard to get it out of your head....

Although I still feel that the casting of Aragorn is singularly the best ever casting of a person in a role, as he fit my idea of Strider amazingly well.
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:23 pm

Wonka wrote:Date finshed: Just before Christmas last year (For the second time)

Ok, this book was particularly brilliant for me because of what I'm trying to achieve in life, but my goodness, what a compelling read. Stephen King talks about his life before he published "Carrie," and then he goes on to talk about the magnificent impact that writing has had on his life.

He shares some excellent information about the craft, and everything he says is so inspiring, heartfelt, gutsy, and truthful. And when he speaks of his accident that should have killed him, it's so engaging you sometimes forget to breathe.

This is your first post ever that I totally agree with. Well said.

I'm down to my last 100 pages (out of the 850+) of 'Under the Dome' and loving every one of them.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Wonka
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Wonka » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:43 am

alkis21 wrote:
Harper wrote:Date finshed: Just before Christmas last year (For the second time)

This is your first post ever that I totally agree with. Well said.

I'm down to my last 100 pages (out of the 850+) of 'Under the Dome' and loving every one of them.

I'm really glad you feel that way, champ. However, I can recall quite a few times when we have "totally agreed." Being arguably the best KO2 players to ever pick up a joystick, we obviously have something in common.

:lol:
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Tripod » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:55 am

Under The Dome seemed to me like a rip-off of the Simpson's movie, but King claims he's had the idea for 30 years. I'm afraid I didn't like it that much - the ending (=why the dome exists) is a disappointment, had to be really, it was the only semi-logical option. Admittedly, the central part is very King-ish and generally good.

The book I read lately and I really recommend, though it is extremely tough, is The Road by Cormack McCarthy (No country for old men). It's fairly short, has little dialogue and is endlessly depressing. Word of warning: Do not watch the movie which is coming out about now. On the plus side it's a 1:1 copy of the events of the book, but it's lacking the key ingredients, the total despair, the fight to stay alive. In the book, everybody (who's left) is as close to starvation as you can be, the whole world is dark and full of ash. In the movie, it all seems pretty bearable and thus the actions make no sense (imho).
WC Performances 2003: 28/31 - 2004: 14/43 - 2005: 17/63 - 2006: 31/50 - 2008: 12/41 - 2009: 14/34 - 2010: 24/46
Wonka
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Wonka » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:36 pm

Date finished: 18/1/10
Title: Relentless
Author: Dean Koontz
Score: 8/10

I'm gonna get hold of some more of Dean Koontz's novels, this was pretty poweful stuff. Full of suspense and marvellous descriptions. Alkis, I think you would like this book immensely.

Dean Koontz certainly has a very dark, unique style and he's a good storyteller. He gets straight to the point and doesn't spoil any of his chapters with unnecessary exposition (which I think so many novelists do).
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:00 pm

I did like it. I've read a lot of his books (Camber even helped me order a dozen of his paperbacks a few years ago, before I discovered the wonders of e-books), I think Koontz repeats himself a bit too much and most of his early work is trash, but there are several gems among his novels. I highly recommend Lightning and Midnight.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:39 am

@ Dean Koontz. Reading up on his series about Odd Thomas. Recommended.
-----------------------------
Jørn F.M.
Founding member of FÖKOF (and FAKO).
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Wayne's and Nick's Carreer Ender
Manager of The People's Lockout!
Il portiere è mongoloide!