Rant: The Irish, TV, and British football teams

Talk about everything but Kick Off.

Moderator: Moderators

Binary
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Rant: The Irish, TV, and British football teams

Postby Binary » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:27 pm

I don't know how many of you know the irish but there's an interesting phenomenon in this country: most of them "hate" the english, but they all support one Premier League team since their childhood. It's rather depressing to see people around you feel so much pride on something that belongs to another country (imagine all greeks supporting Fenerbahce or brits supporting Lyon or portuguese supporting Real Madrid - even Rodolfo would find this weird...).

Now I can live with that, but the worst part for me is that, despite having 3 different TV channels displaying football on Champions League nights (BBC + 2 irish), all of them will go for Premier League (or Rangers/Celtic) games. Sometimes I have 3 channels showing Kewnhutysnmoparitonyaasakov FC - Rangers or Arsenal when I could be seeing a Inter - Barca, but hey, nobody cares about that one right?!

I'm all for watching great matches involving Premier League teams, but surely there's a limit?!

I am therefore hoping all british teams get eliminated as soon as possible. Nothing personal - I love seeing Liverpool playing on the CL - but if it's my only chance of seeing the other best teams battling each other, then so be it.

Rant over. Normal service can resume. Come on Olympiakos.
World Cup 2015 Bronze Cup/Steve Screech Cup Winner

aka "The Kick Off 2 Hustler" and officially the best Portuguese Kick Off player living in Ireland.
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Re: Rant: The Irish, TV, and British football teams

Postby gdh82 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:06 pm

Binary wrote:Rant over. Normal service can resume. Come on Olympiakos.

:lol: :lol:

Sounds a tough one for you though.
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Binary
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Binary » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:24 am

gdh82 wrote:

:-)

I actually hoped things to go the other way around... starting to get rid of Arsenal, but keep Liverpool around as they're, imho, the best Premier League at displaying great football in the CL. Unfortunately, all went pear-shaped. :?

aka "The Kick Off 2 Hustler" and officially the best Portuguese Kick Off player living in Ireland.
Abyss

Postby Abyss » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:55 am

Binary wrote:
gdh82 wrote:

:-)

I actually hoped things to go the other way around... starting to get rid of Arsenal, but keep Liverpool around as they're, imho, the best Premier League at displaying great football in the CL. Unfortunately, all went pear-shaped. :?

It was rather foolish to put your hopes on Olympiakos to be honest.
Binary
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Binary » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:20 pm

Abyss wrote:It was rather foolish to put your hopes on Olympiakos to be honest.

So Alkis told me.. but then I should have stopped believing him since that time he told me "This won't hurt!" ;-)

Abyss

Postby Abyss » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:48 pm

Binary wrote:

So Alkis told me.. but then I should have stopped believing him since that time he told me "This won't hurt!" ;-)

It did?
Binary
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Binary » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:33 pm

Abyss wrote:
Binary wrote:

It did?

Yes, I'm afraid his throat is too constricting, but then he did tell me you were smaller.

Robert Swift

Postby Robert Swift » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:11 pm

Everyone hates the English, Pedro. But they are all secretly happy to sit back and watch us fight the Taliban.
JZ

Postby JZ » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:12 pm

Good point about the Irish all supporting British teams, but the Champions League group stages are pish anyway (and I support one of the teams in it)
Binary
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Binary » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:43 am

Robert Swift wrote:Everyone hates the English, Pedro. But they are all secretly happy to sit back and watch us fight the Taliban.

Nonsense. I'm not a Liverpool fan but I like to watch them play. And premier league games are normally very exciting.

But look at yesterday again... day of European classic Bayern - Juventus but what options did I have? Man U vs Wolfsburg (unbelievably poor game) or Apoel - Chelsea (team of stars beats team of amateurs by 1-0? Srsly?)

Oh and the guys that comment the game on RTE2 (Irish state tv channel) are so poor and biased that even I could probably do a better job.

Robert Swift

Postby Robert Swift » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:30 am

What are these English teams? Our big four are managed by a Scot, Frenchman, Spaniard and an Italian. They are owned by an assortment of Arabs, Russians and Americans. The players are principally Africans, Spanish, Dutch or French.
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Tripod » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:34 am

Binary wrote:Oh and the guys that comment the game on RTE2 (Irish state tv channel) are so poor and biased that even I could probably do a better job.

I'm sure you could - on GayTV. "Wow, doesn't he look cute?" - "Check out those legs." - "What a hunk!" :lol:
WC Performances 2003: 28/31 - 2004: 14/43 - 2005: 17/63 - 2006: 31/50 - 2008: 12/41 - 2009: 14/34 - 2010: 24/46
Binary
5000+ Poster!
5000+ Poster!

Postby Binary » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:32 pm

Robert Swift wrote:What are these English teams? Our big four are managed by a Scot, Frenchman, Spaniard and an Italian. They are owned by an assortment of Arabs, Russians and Americans. The players are principally Africans, Spanish, Dutch or French.

Yeah I know what you mean... teams in general are losing a lot of their identity. Hats off to most spanish and italian teams who still keep loads of their nationals in the squad while playing decent football.

FC Porto (who is quite runty this year) is trying to make an effort to get younger/junior PT players into the main squad, as most of them were otherwise south americans. (It is however doubtful now if they can even win the championship...)

Tripod wrote:
Binary wrote:Oh and the guys that comment the game on RTE2 (Irish state tv channel) are so poor and biased that even I could probably do a better job.

I'm sure you could - on GayTV. "Wow, doesn't he look cute?" - "Check out those legs." - "What a hunk!" :lol:

:lol:

Alex, I find this obsession of yours with homosexuality, very latent ever since we personally met, quite disturbing. Please refrain from this course of action lest you end up like Jim.