Command and Conquer - Tiberium Wars

Talk about everything but Kick Off.

Moderator: Moderators

Robert Swift

Re: Command and Conquer - Tiberium Wars

Postby Robert Swift » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:50 am

I will ignore that because as you well know I reached the APC+Rocket combo through my own systematic experimentation in TorquaLabs. I wouldn't say that APC+Rocket on its own is enough to defeat Tier1+2 Scrin, I still think the optimum mix is 50/50 APC/Pred with all the APC's packing rockets.

I've been doing more experimentation with GDI vs Hard Scrin (about 10-15 more games) and I can win pretty reliably now; so I have changed my view about GDI being the weakest faction vs Scrin. Actually I feel now that they are potentially more effective vs Scrin than Nod are. Switching to Nod last night I was acutely aware of the lack of APC's. Buggies are poor, and Scorpions alone cannot prevail as you get overrun with Disintegrators. There doesn't seem to be an anti-Scrin option as potent as APC+Rocket. Having tried various different options (Buggies, Black Hand, Flame Tanks, Venoms) I got the most success by simply making a lot of infantry.

It's interesting to see that GDI are a lot more popular than Nod, judging by the players in the lobby (more blue than red). Having done a lot more with GDI now I can see why. At first I was thinking 'lack of stealth, lack of airpower' but now I am seeing the Railgun Predator as a dominant unit and the question which the other factions are struggling to answer.

One question - I can't seem to find a usage for the Nod Beam Cannon unit. It doesn't seem to be made much by human or AI players. Apart from focussing some on your obelisk, what are they for?
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:39 am

Can you not deflect the cannon off your aircraft so in effect being able to launch a long range attack on the enemy?

Never tried it myself, but I am sure there must be SOME use for it.
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
JamesHBeard
The guru!
The guru!

Postby JamesHBeard » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:06 pm

durban wrote:Can you not deflect the cannon off your aircraft so in effect being able to launch a long range attack on the enemy?

Never tried it myself, but I am sure there must be SOME use for it.

Yes this is correct. You can theoretically bounce the beam over a mountain using venoms, therefore giving the beam cannons the protection of the mountain.. but this is mega micro and i have never seen it used in a game.

Robert, are you ready to recind your SCRIN are OVERPOWERED statement yet and confirm that all our evenly balanced to some extent?
WC - QF 2001,2002, SilverCup Winner 2006, Best Defence 2006
UKC - Winner 2005
Newent 2008 Championship Winner

Hi ! My name is James and I have been KO2 free since 8th March 2009.
Robert Swift

Postby Robert Swift » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:48 pm

Negative - Scrin are still best. The evidence is overwhelming.
Robert Swift

Postby Robert Swift » Tue May 05, 2009 9:46 am

Last night I ended up playing about 10 games random v random against the Hard AI. I am pretty certain I won all but one. The build order is getting more or less perfected but I am still having instances where I stop building or producing for 30 seconds due to focussing on micro managing some situation ... must eliminate these. I watched a couple of replays last night and saw something odd by the hard AI. It built a refinery and then sold it straight away... wondering whether this was just a way to get another harvester? It didn't have a War Factory at the time. But the cost of a Ref is 2000 and you only get 300 back for selling it. That means the harv cost 1700 versus 1400 from the War Factory. Just wondering what anyone thinks about this tactic?

I will be online from 8pm.

I still have a lot to learn about this game. Last night was the first time I used 'Tiberium Vibration Scan' and 'Lightning Spike' powers from the Scrin. There are four others I haven't touched yet. I have also started combining buzzers with seekers....this is worthy of further testing.
Steve Camber
Mad! 7000+ poster!
Mad! 7000+ poster!

Postby Steve Camber » Tue May 05, 2009 10:54 am

It built a refinery and then sold it straight away..

This is a common early game tactic used by the elites... and me sometimes!

Please stop taking CNC3 to another level. There may be a time soon when I start losing to you.
--
SteveC - Kick Off engineer - Ranked somewhere waaaay down the list
18 Dec 2003 - "One day I'm going to disassemble the 68000 code, and find out exactly what's going on in there!! "

Ask me about online KO2 :)
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Tue May 05, 2009 11:03 am

I have been using the 'build Refinery and sell' for months to be honest and I am far from Elite.

I would have thought a genius like Torqual would have been doing this as well.

Yes mate, its a common tactic as you get a Harvester you can keep and the build time is actually quicker I think for a Refinery than a Harvester on its own, plus you get some money back....win win!

I really should load this game up again soon, been playing too much PES on the WII tho :(
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Robert Swift

Postby Robert Swift » Tue May 05, 2009 12:31 pm

Join us tonight DeathofRates!

A harvester takes 14 secs to build in a War Factory and a refinery takes 20 seconds to build. So I don't see the logic. The only thing I can think of is that, with more refineries, you need more power plants to run them. So if a refinery uses 3/8th of a power plant and the power plants costs 800, then the cost of powering that refinery is 300, thus making up the shortfall. I need to examine the maths of this. I think it's still better to build a War Factory and then a harvester, although this takes around 35 seconds... going for a second ref and selling means you have the harvester, after 15 seconds, so it is full by the time your War Factory could have produced a harvester.

This clearly requires some testing.

Thing is, you're going to need a War Factory anyway, so I am still unsure about the benefits of this.
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Tue May 05, 2009 1:47 pm

You get money back for the sell.

If you play online you will see this is a very common tactic, the only downside is if you have too many harvesters per Refinery I guess.

I remember reading the reason it was a 'good' idea and it was simply to do with the financial status, not the extra time to build. I guess you could also build 2 harvesters at once and then by selling the refinery you would get back some moolah to allow you to build something else whilst the harvesters are forraging.

I dunno, seemed to be quite simple, but then again so am I :)

played counterstrike the other night on Office, OMG its fun when you have been away for so long...and it was the first time I played in 24inch Widescreen mode :) :) :)

Yum :)