KOA Diplomacy topic (originally about Risk but hijacked)

Talk about everything but Kick Off.

Moderator: Moderators

durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

KOA Diplomacy topic (originally about Risk but hijacked)

Postby durban » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:52 pm

I love Risk, does anyone have RISK2 By Microprose (old game I know) with the Warhammer Online client (shipped with it) who would like a game one evening?

I presume it still works online, or if there is a better version please let me know (even a Java version would be good)

Also I know some of you like Risk, can you reccomend any other similar strategy game (I beleive Conquest is one) that sticks to the same format (I don't want something like Age of empires etc, just something with the same idea that Risk puts in place, but perhaps different map layouts).

I have played Axis and Allies which I enjoyed.

any advice or opponents appreciated (as the PC is bloody easy in this game, I am not that good at Risk but I never even get challenged by the PC regardless whether its a 2,3,4,5,6 player game :( )

M
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
Robert Swift

Postby Robert Swift » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:58 pm

I think you should find turn-based games where you play against humans.

The ultimate game in the genre is Diplomacy. This game is unbelievably good and is very much suited to an email format. Have a read about it and if you find somewhere running a free online version, tell me and we can get started!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomacy_%28game%29
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:00 pm

I don't want to be diplomatic, I want to dominate the world ffs!!!

Whats the point in owning half the world with your mate when you can own it ALL!!!!

I will check it out tho mate, just for you!
No longer the only UK based Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Crewe supporter in the whole of the KOA!!!
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:26 pm

Cor just read up on this and it sounds great mate!!!

I am currently reading a lot of Books on WWI and finding them incredibly interesting and eye opening (especially the ones written by outsiders with an unbiased view) and so this game, seeing how it is aimed at a pre WWI Europe, is incredible aligned to my current interests (the whole Balkan conflicts, Austro-Hungarian issues etc etc) and so sounds brilliant......

Obviously the whole 'diplomacy' will be similar to the alliances forged, and misunderstood between the late 1890's and 1914 etc etc and so to re-enact this in a new way would be ace.

I will find an online version mate, once I understand how it all hangs together of course.

do you happen to know a good 'offline' version I can download and play?

Mark
Sid
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Sid » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:58 am

The board game RISK was my fave!!!
...oh and HOTEL!

beats monopoly anyday
WC2011 #20th position
WC2011 Rodolfo's new arch enemy and Silver Cup dream ender!
WC2011 The KOA's new bowling champion
UKC2009 #1 Silver Cup Winner
UKC2007 organiser
Semtex
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Semtex » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:48 am

Robert Swift wrote:I think you should find turn-based games where you play against humans.

The ultimate game in the genre is Diplomacy. This game is unbelievably good and is very much suited to an email format. Have a read about it and if you find somewhere running a free online version, tell me and we can get started!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomacy_%28game%29

seen star!
I'm in if you find a version.
Robert Swift

Postby Robert Swift » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:25 pm

I will investigate whether we need to buy this Paradox version or whether there is a pure internet based one.
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:16 pm

Yes but Diplomacy takes weeks to play it would seem......

Although it sounds quite good.
Noodlebug

Postby Noodlebug » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:40 pm

http://www.phpdiplomacy.net

I've been playing on this site for a couple of years, it's good and it keeps getting better. 24-hour move turnaround, so as long as you can get to a PC once a day you won't miss a turn.
durban
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby durban » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:49 pm

Uh oh, I fear a KO Gathering Diplomacy game kicking off :loL:
Robert Swift

Postby Robert Swift » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:17 pm

Noodlebug KOA MVP February 2008.

If we get 7 names here can you get us set up Noodles?

1. Durban
2. Me
3. Haydn
4. James Beard
5. Noodlebug
Last edited by Robert Swift on Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JamesHBeard
The guru!
The guru!

Postby JamesHBeard » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:57 pm

You may as well add me to this..
WC - QF 2001,2002, SilverCup Winner 2006, Best Defence 2006
UKC - Winner 2005
Newent 2008 Championship Winner

Hi ! My name is James and I have been KO2 free since 8th March 2009.
Robert Swift

Postby Robert Swift » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:02 pm

OK this looks good.

It's free.

I have registered as 'Polar_Bear'. :-)

I can create a new game but I recommend we have our 7 players all lined up and registered first then I can kick it off and we all join quickly. It doesn't seem to allow passworded or closed games so we would all have to sync join to avoid getting pro's in.

The system seems to work quite well, in that you have a 'pot' of 100 points and you all 'bet' some on the game like in poker, and this attracts players of a higher ranking.

So let's all bet 5 on the first game and make a pot of 35.

There is an introduction file which is good but also incomplete.

I have found the official rules in pdf form here http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/resources/rulebooks/2000AH4th.pdf.

I must stress that for people who have not played before...ANY new game looks complicated. But in fact diplomacy is very very simple, about as simple as backgammon or checkers. There are no dice, no piece values nothing. You just direct each army to Hold, Move, Attack or Support. They all have a value of 1 and unless you can support with another army or another player then everything stays the same. The 'or another player' is where the heart of the game is.