The MiniMig Project (a 12x12cm open source Amiga)

Talk about everything but Kick Off.

Moderator: Moderators

karios

The MiniMig Project (a 12x12cm open source Amiga)

Postby karios » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:44 pm

Yes, I am talking about a full-featured Amiga, built from scratch as a side project.
Started by a Dutch guy as a proof of concept, it will be on sale beginning of February for about 150 euros (http://www.acube-systems.biz/eng/hardware.php). It is open source, GPLed since July, supports dual joysticks, VGA output, PS/2 for mouse and keyboard, an MMC for ADF and kickstart loading and an RS-232. It features a MC68SEC000 CPU and 2MB of 70ns RAM which is being used as a 512KB kickstart area (which becomes read-only by hand), and 1.5MB for chip and fast RAM.
I know that veterans may complain about different Hz on the monitor, or minor differences in speed in actual gameplay that may through their robotic-like automations off, but I think it's far superior to carry these around in tournaments as compared to real Amigas.
For more info, see these:
http://home.hetnet.nl/~weeren001/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimig
alkis21

Re: The MiniMig Project (a 12x12cm open source Amiga)

Postby alkis21 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:49 pm

karios wrote:I know that veterans may complain about different Hz on the monitor, or minor differences in speed in actual gameplay that may through their robotic-like automations off, but I think it's far superior to carry these around in tournaments as compared to real Amigas.

Why do you think the MiniMig will have these problems? I've been following the project for some time, and as far as I know it doesn't come with a monitor... or am I missing something?
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
karios

Postby karios » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:52 pm

alkis21 wrote:Why do you think the MiniMig will have these problems? I've been following the project for some time, and as far as I know it doesn't come with a monitor... or am I missing something?

I comes with a VGA out and not a composite or S-Video out (or even a HDMI out :-P ). I don't know what the output Hz is going to be, but I doubt it will be 50Hz like the Amiga is. I imagine the gameplay experience will be similar to playing Kick Off 2 on WinUAE using a TFT screen.
John Wilson
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby John Wilson » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:00 am

Stainy wrote:They [KO1 and KO2] both work on the minimig :)

:shock:

Absolutely fantastic! A few weeks ago I noticed minimigs were commercially available and meant to bump the topic on here (slipped my mind though :oops: ).

Can you provide more details (a link)?
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:24 am

When I first heard about this project, I was thrilled. But after Marios' explanations, I think I'll pass. If I want to emulate an Amiga with a TFT screen, I can use my laptop with no extra charge and have a clone of my A1200 instead of an A500.

In my opinion, the absence of S-Video out is a stupid idea.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Stainy » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:28 am

karios

Postby karios » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:05 am

Stainy wrote:Minimig with Svideo and composite output :)

http://web.comhem.se/illuwatar/project_pages/minimig/minimig.htm

Isn't GPL wonderful? :)
I would like to see how this performs. I could be getting one to try with my 42'' hdtv pretty soon :-P
BIIIIIIG Barber:)
Stainy
4000+ Poster!
4000+ Poster!

Postby Stainy » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:10 pm

hahah yeah and Massive Massive Barrett
John Wilson
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby John Wilson » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:39 pm

alkis21 wrote:When I first heard about this project, I was thrilled. But after Marios' explanations, I think I'll pass. If I want to emulate an Amiga with a TFT screen, I can use my laptop with no extra charge and have a clone of my A1200 instead of an A500.

In my opinion, the absence of S-Video out is a stupid idea.

I would be very surprised if the minimig gives similar performance to WinUAE.

IMO KO2 is a waste of time under WinUAE - it's a software emulator and like all software emulators it's going to suffer from latencies and jitter (variation in latency). This is fine for some games but KO2's requirement for precise timing means it feels completely different to the real thing.

In theory the minimig could be exactly the same as 'the real thing' as long as the amiga's custom devices are emulated sufficiently well in the FPGA's hardware. They don't have to be absolutely identical but near enough for KO2 purposes - if this is the case (and I suspect there's a fair chance it could be) then it will be more like comparing KO2 on an A500 to KO2 an A1200.

I don't think the VGA issue is insurmountable - it's pretty easy and cheap to make a VGA-RGB SCART cable. The problem is getting the video timings right. From what I've read today - there is a beta with a 50Hz PAL mode :D and if that's not suitable for a SCART telly, the project is open source so I'm sure someone could have a crack at it :)

...the main stumbling block is the cost of the thing - who's going to be the first KOAer to give it a try??

Stainy wrote:Minimig with Svideo and composite output :) http://web.comhem.se/illuwatar/project_pages/minimig/minimig.htm

...if this is available to buy then that would be fantastic!
Abyss

Postby Abyss » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:42 pm

I'm getting older and my free time is diminishing everyday... so I probably don't have a use for such a thing... but I am going to buy one in anycase :) I'd like it to have a suitable case as well, but I guess making a simple case from just two pieces of plexiglass and for screws will be easy.
John Wilson
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby John Wilson » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:58 pm

Abyss wrote:I'm getting older and my free time is diminishing everyday... so I probably don't have a use for such a thing... but I am going to buy one in anycase :)

:lol: ...at least it's a physically small pointless luxury. I don't regret buying that Smash TV machine - I just have to accept not parking the car in the garage and the missus and her mates occasionally taking the piss out of me.

Abyss wrote:I'd like it to have a suitable case as well, but I guess making a simple case from just two pieces of plexiglass and for screws will be easy.

...surely it would fit in the base of your famously monstrous joystick.
Abyss

Postby Abyss » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:00 pm

John Wilson wrote:
Abyss wrote:I'd like it to have a suitable case as well, but I guess making a simple case from just two pieces of plexiglass and for screws will be easy.

...surely it would fit in the base of your famously monstrous joystick.

Are you sure you don't mistake me for Ely or Stainy or even pre-CMS Rodolfo?

My joystick has the size of CMS sticks:
http://www.paraschis.gr/article.php?id=1

I never liked Smash TV but I would surely love to have a Robotron cabinet at home! The car can always stay out, no problem.
John Wilson
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby John Wilson » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:56 am

Abyss wrote:Are you sure you don't mistake me for Ely or Stainy or even pre-CMS Rodolfo?
My joystick has the size of CMS sticks:
http://www.paraschis.gr/article.php?id=1

...ahhh - I was under the impression that the stick was large in size as well as in heft.

Abyss wrote:I never liked Smash TV but I would surely love to have a Robotron cabinet at home! The car can always stay out, no problem.

...quite - you can't beat the purity and intensity of Robotron. The ultimate plan is to have original Robotron PCBs mounted in there along with the dual mounted Smash TV and Total Carnage PCBs. Then I'll be even more easily distracted when I pop into the garage for the lawn mower :D