To the Norwegians: Euro qualifers

Talk about everything but Kick Off.

Moderator: Moderators

alkis21

To the Norwegians: Euro qualifers

Postby alkis21 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:51 am

Turkey's draw against Malta changes everything in our group. I wrote down all possible scenarios and it looks like Greece can now afford to lose both games in Oslo and Istanbul. If we beat Bosnia and Malta at home and the disqualified Hungary in the last match in Budapest, we're through.
If the above happens, Norway needs to beat Turkey in Oslo to qualify. Turkey goes through with a draw, provided that they beat us in Istanbul first.

Assuming nobody will lose points to the weaker teams, and that Greece will lose in Norway and Turkey, here are the three scenarios:

Norway-Turkey: Win for Norway
1. Norway 28
2. Greece 27
3. Turkey 26

Norway-Turkey: Draw
1. Turkey 27
2. Greece 27
3. Norway 26

Norway-Turkey: Win for Turkey
1. Turkey 29
2. Greece 27
3. Norway 25

So, what do you think will happen?
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:10 am

Rest assured, Norway will NOT qualify.
-----------------------------
Jørn F.M.
Founding member of FÖKOF (and FAKO).
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Wayne's and Nick's Carreer Ender
Manager of The People's Lockout!
Il portiere è mongoloide!
_glenn

Postby _glenn » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:12 am

after a quick look at the remaining fixtures i think the final table will look like this:

Greece 28 p
Norway 25 p
Turkey 22 p

for tonights match i predict 1-0 for norway

norway and greece goes through, turkey has problems.
the baldest member of the koa
Rodolfo
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Rodolfo » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:15 am

Sorry for the off topic but,

Glenn, come to Rome!!!

:)

Rodolfo Martín. KO2 Player. KOA member since 2002. FEKO # 1.
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:09 pm

2-2. :o

I watched a match between two teams with many problems tonight. Greece plays nothing like they did in they 2004 Euros these days. Back then, we used to press the opponent in 3/4 of the pitch, leaving almost no room to move, managed fast counter attacks and occasionally good wing game. Now we simply wait castled in our penalty box and we're incapable of holding the ball for more than a couple of passes.

Norway on the other hand was quite predictable and lacked patience in their game. As soon as Rise appeared to tire, they expected everything from Carew's head. Furthermore, their defense was not strong enough. They were still in the corner kicks that we scored and we also had two shots on the woodworks and two more great chances; that's too many chances to give away when playing against a team like Greece.

Norway had two shots on the woodworks as well of course, and some more chances. Although I'm sure nobody will deny that their first goal was an obvious offensive foul... But for a match with 4 goals and 4 shots on the posts the quality was pretty low and every chance was more a display of defensive mistakes than skill (although Rise's goal was fantastic). Given that, it is perhaps useless to discuss whether it was a fair result or not.

One thing I didn't like was how much the Norwegians were losing their temper. I've never seen a goalkeeper kicked, pushed and elbowed so much, even when he had the ball in his hands. Sometimes I couldn't understand the referee allowing all that.
_glenn

Postby _glenn » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:26 pm

poor game that could have gone either way. greece was surprisingly weak. scored 2 goals on their 2 first chances, both from set pieces were norway normally are very strong. especially since we knew that set pieces are greece's greatest weapon. poor defensive performance by norway.

our first goal could easily have been disallowed. the second goal is elite.

second half greece seemed a bit more interested in attacking, and could have won, the first shot in the bar could have been a classic goal. and why your striker did not shoot in stead of dribbling the keeper (PBD) i did not understand. i was sure we had lost the game a few seconds...

i can understand that you question how the ref could accept all the beating your goalie had to take. on the other hand, every time the ball came into the greek box it seemed more like wrestling than football, especially from your central defender, kyrgiakos, he used everything he had to stop carew. i agree that this is part of modern football, but i don't like it. in my mind some of these actions looked like a penalty.

all in all i think both teams will be unhappy with the draw missing the few chances they had with very little margin, but at least now greece has a very good opportunity to qualify and defend their title.
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:33 pm

_glenn wrote:i can understand that you question how the ref could accept all the beating your goalie had to take. on the other hand, every time the ball came into the greek box it seemed more like wrestling than football, especially from your central defender, kyrgiakos, he used everything he had to stop carew. i agree that this is part of modern football, but i don't like it. in my mind some of these actions looked like a penalty.

I don't like it either and I think it's one of the biggest rule problem (or, rule application problem or whatever) in today's football. When the ball is in midfield, a player barely touches an opponent chest-to-back and a foul is whistled. Inside the box in set pieces, you see players scratching, pulling, biting each others' carotids and we consider it normal.
Kyrgiakos is far from being the cleanest defender in the world, no arguments there.

defend their title.

:lol:
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:04 am

Right then, it still looks like Norway has a solid chance to qualify.

1. Greece 19 Points (8 matches)
2. Turkey 17 Points (8 matches)
3. Norway 17 Points (9 matches)

Greece needs 8 points in the matches against Bosnia, Turkey (A), Malta, Hungary (A) to qualify. Less if they don't lose in Istanbul.

Norway needs to win the three remaining matches against Bosnia (A), Turkey and Malta (A). They will then reach 26 points, which is the maximum Turkey can reach if they lose to Oslo. In that case, Norway will qualify as they'll have 1W-1D-0L against the Turks.
_glenn

Postby _glenn » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:16 am

corret alkis, this group will not be decided untill the last matches, or at least for norway and turkey, i cannot see how greece could fail to qualify now.

by the way, in todays newspapers our team are rated very positive :shock: according to the newspapers we outplayed the european champions and now deserve a place in the championship...
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:49 am

What worries me is that every team is expected to drop some points against the weak opponents of the group, and Greece hasn't done that yet. If we have 24 points in the 8 matches against the four bottom teams it will be a rare (unique for the Greek national team) achievement.

Picture this scenario, it's mayhem:
-Norway wins the last three matches
-Turkey wins every match but in Oslo
-Greece beats Malta and Bosnia, loses in Istanbul and draws in Budapest

Result: Three teams tied at 26 points!

And then according to their in between results, it will be:

1. Turkey 7 Points (defeated Greece twice, drew against Norway)
2. Norway 5 Points (defeated Turkey, drew against Turkey and Greece)
3. Greece 4 Points (defeated Norway, drew against Norway)
_glenn

Postby _glenn » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:24 am

well, that could happen, but turkey does not seem so very strong as they were earlier. they could loose points against moldova away or even bosnia home... and norway has to face bosnia in bosnia, that is also a very difficult match...

really looking forward to the next matches in this group, every match and every goal will be crucial for the top teams.
VKafiris
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby VKafiris » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:51 am

Turkey and Norway will have a draw and Greece will qualify with 2 wins, one draw and one lose in the remaining matches.
Vassilis - Official KOA Black Sheep
2016 World Cup XVI (Milan) - Silver Cup Winner
karios

Postby karios » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:36 pm

If Greece actually qualifies for the Euro 2008 finals, I will get the chance to live the atmosphere first hand, since I will be living in Geneva, Switzerland for the next few years. Too bad I didn't know that before the situation with the tickets was what it is now. Is there any way I could get a hold of any tickets? Anyone? Do you know if companiesthatsellticketsonline are reliable?