Greece, or what's left of it

Talk about everything but Kick Off.

Moderator: Moderators

alkis21

Greece, or what's left of it

Postby alkis21 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:13 am

It started last Friday afternoon and it's still going on. Dozens of fires suddenly began in various parts of Greece.

The arsonists knew their job very well. The picked the driest and most windy season of the year. The fire department is incapable of handling all these fires. 62 dead people so far, hundreds of injured ones, entire villages and small towns wiped off the map and it's not over yet... it looks like it's going to get worse before it gets better.

My parents' house is only a couple of miles away from the mountain and I could see one of the fires clearly, but thankfully they're not in danger. The entire city of Athens is covered with ashes. The conditions in rural areas are much worse.

We're experiencing our very own 9/11, but we don't have a clue who the enemy is or the ultimate purpose of this madness. This was not an act of a handful of madmen. It was obviously carefully planned long ago. I wish I knew why. They even made phone calls to the fire department raising false alarms to misdirect their forces to other areas minutes before the fires erupted.

My family and friends are all right so far, but some of them lost their entire family business. At least they're still alive.

The media keep broadcasting horror pictures and pleads for help from the enclaves. It's madness... I'm in total shock.

Every animal runs away from the fire. Only the worst animal of all, the human being, sets it on purpose...
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:37 am

I just read about this mate. Really scared me. I just hope they, at first, can stop the fires - at second, get the bastards who do this kind of mad stuff.

This is complete insanity. Best of luck to all of Greece.
-----------------------------
Jørn F.M.
Founding member of FÖKOF (and FAKO).
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Wayne's and Nick's Carreer Ender
Manager of The People's Lockout!
Il portiere è mongoloide!
Il_Maestro

Postby Il_Maestro » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:37 am

I'm watching Greece on TV last days and i can't guess why it's happening.
As you write, i can't see the point too, but it seems well organized even if al-qaeda or a similiar organization did not claimed yet.
In Italy, in the summer, it happens everyday and it comes from criminal organizations, everyone knows why but it's hard to stop them. By now, we can 't.
Are you and the other greece KOAers allright?
alkis21

Postby alkis21 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:40 am

Il_Maestro wrote:Are you and the other greece KOAers allright?

As far as I know, yes. I talked to Spyros yesterday, the house he's building is on the foothill and he spent his Saturday hosing the trees and surrounding area, but now at least this fire is out so it's not in danger.
Remember, remember, the 4th and the 3rd of November
Menace
1000+ Poster!
1000+ Poster!

Postby Menace » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:40 am

Damn.. speechles. All I can offer is a lame 'Hope it gets better soon'..
Dennis Hansen - http://protomenace.wordpress.com
Creative Director - http://www.bigbitegames.com

'When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea' Eric Cantona
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:31 pm

Its awful, good to hear you'r well Alkis. After seeing the footage on the news my thoughts go out to the people affected by this.

Cant believe calls have been made to the fire department misdirecting them! Some fucked up people living on this planet.
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
gdh82
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Re: Greece, or what's left of it

Postby gdh82 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:28 pm

alkis21 wrote:The media keep broadcasting horror pictures and pleads for help from the enclaves. It's madness... I'm in total shock.

Has been headline news here of course and its so tragic and to think this has been started deliberately...as you say, utterly shocking.

Like others I thought of our greek koa friends as soon as I first heard about this so thanks for posting that good news...

I'll join Dennis in wishing for things to improve and for these fires to be somehow contained soon.
All the goals, the stats, the stories & more from the KO2 WC 2011 - please click here

And click here for everything you'll ever need to know about KO2!
Niels Tijssen
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Niels Tijssen » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:20 pm

Hi Alkis,

It is good knowing that you are alive, and that your amiga aint smoked. I went to Crete in july and it was already hot over there. I can imagine that it is a tinderbox right now. I hope that you will get rain soon and that the ordeal is over.

Keep on going and we support you.
Robert Swift

Postby Robert Swift » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:32 am

I am trying hard to think of who could possibly benefit from such an act, but it eludes me. If these people are ever caught, I would advocate burning them at the stake.
Abyss

Postby Abyss » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:38 am

Arsonists, terrorist, greedy land developers... I think all these are just excuses for state incompetence and varous degrees of people indifference.
Rodolfo
3000+ poster!
3000+ poster!

Postby Rodolfo » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:39 pm

I have also read that fires were likely to be caused in order to get political benefit in the very near elections. And of course, both big parties acuse the other one.

Unfortunately, this tactic of mass destruction acts to make people vote in state of shock has already proven to be efficient in some other mediterranean under developed countries... :(

Rodolfo Martín. KO2 Player. KOA member since 2002. FEKO # 1.
karios

Postby karios » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:07 pm

Abyss wrote:Arsonists, terrorist, greedy land developers... I think all these are just excuses for state incompetence and various degrees of people indifference.

I agree. We are supposed to be a civilized European country, who can defend itself against anyone. I have written much about that on my blog, but alas, it's in Greek only:)
For all you Greek ppl, go here:
http://www.karios.gr/blog

The national elections are coming up in 2 weeks, it's gonna be a slaughterhouse.
Neither terrorism nor arsonists are behind these. Stupid governments are. Both of them.
Semtex
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Semtex » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:24 pm

karios wrote:
Abyss wrote:Arsonists, terrorist, greedy land developers... I think all these are just excuses for state incompetence and various degrees of people indifference.

I agree. We are supposed to be a civilized European country, who can defend itself against anyone. I have written much about that on my blog, but alas, it's in Greek only:)
For all you Greek ppl, go here:
http://www.karios.gr/blog

The national elections are coming up in 2 weeks, it's gonna be a slaughterhouse.
Neither terrorism nor arsonists are behind these. Stupid governments are. Both of them.

We too are supposed to be civilised, yet we have children shooting and stabbing other children to death, on an almost day-to-day basis...

When I heard it was arsonists I assumed teenagers... Greece burns while the politicians fiddle eh?

Can't think of anything to say other than glad my KOA friends are ok, Hope this makes Greece a stronger place in the future...