The Movie Thread

Talk about everything but Kick Off.

Moderator: Moderators

Robert Swift

Re: The Movie Thread

Postby Robert Swift » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:57 am

It's not just the Greek philosophers that questioned whether 'reality' is 'real'. The question is, what do you mean by 'real' anyway. The distinction must be made between pure ideas and what we might call the physical universe. Many philosophers argued that we cannot prove the existence of any such thing as the physical universe, or indeed other minds, and that only ideas exist and maybe only my ideas. Then there this the whole question of whether God exists, and whether we are living in his mind. Over hundreds of years, many great thinkers developed answers to this.

Essentially, if there were no other minds, why would language exist? My mind would not need to communicate with anyone else if it was the only one. The universe existed before I did, and will continue after I die, it goes on while I sleep; when I leave my car keys in the drawer and stop thinking about them, they don't cease to exist - they are still there when I get back 8 hours later. So there is evidently some kind of external continuity present which makes it unlikely, impossible even, that the universe - with all its complexity - can exist just in my mind. So the question of the external continuity must be settled - either there is a 'God mind' that is omniscient and omnipresent that sustains the existence of things I am not thinking about or don't know about - or there is the existence of some kind of 'physical reality'. Some people believe there is both, i.e. that God created the physical reality and continues to exist within it. Interesting that Inception addresses this concept, where each dream is someone's dream where they are the God and everyone else is a guest.

The question about whether Cobb has lost the sense of what is real is a good one. And the next one is, is his wife really dead?

I think that, throughout the film, he is characterised as knowing clearly where he is, what the rules are, and what exists really and what doesn't. He seems, above all characters, to have the clearest grip on what is a dream. Now this may be because it's all his dream anyway. But if it's all his dream, how and why did the other characters come into it, and why/how would he imagine them if he had not met them before and they did not already exist? Why would he imagine Robert Fisher? Next question - is his wife really dead? If she is indeed alive and he is dreaming, she would come repeatedly into the dream and try to get him to wake up. And this is what happens. But there are Cobb himself remarks that the wife in his dream is a poor copy of the real one, without her complexity, her personality, her independence. She is based on his memory. She exists in his subconscious only.

Overall I am pretty comfortable that the 'reality' end of Inception was real, and that the wife was dead. It's not such an open ending for me. And if it was supposed to be really possible that he has lost tough with reality, it's poor writing, because what came before suggested that he had a proper grip (as I explained above). I wasn't doubting his reality until the spinning top at the end. Compare this with Blade Runner - you get hints and suggestions that Deckard is a replicant all the way through the film, so that, by the end, you might reach this impression. It isn't sprung on you in the last moment.

Anyway, good film. If it gets us talking like this, that's something. I may even go and watch it again for the details I missed. Perhaps it's more ambiguous than I gave it credit for.
Davetoast
6000+ Poster!
6000+ Poster!

Postby Davetoast » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:01 am

I doubt this 'physical reality'.

I can't help but doubt a world where anyone can't see Inception is a true masterpiece and perhaps one of the greatest movies of all time.

Then again maybe I just willed it to be that after paying £14 per for premier seats at the Imax, which is another reason to doubt reality, or my sanity, or is that the same thing?
Final Whistle Crusader and President of The FWA.
Robert Swift

Postby Robert Swift » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:13 am

I think I only exist in your imagination DT, and I have always doubted your sanity.

Final Whistle is all the reason I need.
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Tripod » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:46 am

Another quality post, Davetoast! And Rob's reply isn't half-bad, either. :)
WC Performances 2003: 28/31 - 2004: 14/43 - 2005: 17/63 - 2006: 31/50 - 2008: 12/41 - 2009: 14/34 - 2010: 24/46
Saint-Ex

Postby Saint-Ex » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:45 am

Spoiler alert, maybe

Film: Inception
Watched: 24th August 2010
Format: Cinema
My Rating: 7/10

I mostly agree with what is said before about this film. My opinion is that this was a good film to watch, with a very intriguing plot and whatever is said afterwards, most people will eventually see it because of its hype.

But...it made one mistake, imo. It was shot in such a way, as to get as large a range of people to watch it, as possible (blockbuster). As most of you said (and Robert gave his expertise on :) ) it had way to much unneeded action scenes, that although made the film more entertaining, created huge plot-holes. There is one case in particular where they are in the taxi and one "bad guy" is spraying bullets at them with an automatic from less than 2-3meters away, while they are trying (3times if i recall correctly) to reverse in order to hit him (with the damn car ffs!). And everyone is fine, no one gets hurt!!!
In another Arthur, has to rearrange the explosives (and not only that) and is stated that he's got about 2 minutes to do so, but they manage to squeeze in another action fighting scene there!!! Why? Wasn't the 2min deadline tense enough??

Also i'm not sure that i like an "open to debate" ending in a film (even if my fav is Blade Runner). This is just for making people talk about the film in order to get more and more of them to go see it.
"Love United, Hate Glazers"
Steve1977
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Steve1977 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:03 pm

Film: A Team
Watched: 21st August 2010
Format: AMC Cinema Birmingham
My Rating: 7/10

Sure it was over the top but it was a fitting tribute to the original TV Series and you really felt the characters were a team who enjoyed a laugh with each other. Whilst they were created years ago, it made me smile just how fun they still were all these years later. Film did flag near the end but that might because we had action scenes galore.
Remember to watch to the end of the credits for 2 cool scenes.
World Cup 2009 - 8th Place
World Cup 2008 - 19th Place
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Tripod » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:53 am

Film: The Expendables
Watched: recently
Format: HTPC
Score: 6/10

Review: Credit when credit's due - Sly Stallone directs and stars in an action movie with a distinct retro feel, no cgi, an adult rating due to some fairly extreme violence and of course a great action cast, Jason Statham, Bruce Willis, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Mickey Rourke, even Arnie makes a short appearance. Admittedly, the plot and/or the character development could have been better, it's entirely forgetable, but it's fun while it lasts.

Film: Repo Men
Score: 4/10

Review: Jude Law and Forest Whitaker in a movie that is no less violent than the Expendables, with the very cynic idea that people can take out mortgages on their organs but will be cut up and left to die if they fall behind with their payments. It's all pretty standard, of course one of the repo men needs an artificial heart from his own company, grows a conscience, is unable to continue cutting people up... well, there is an interesting major plot twist at the end of the movie which I won't go into and sort of saves the movie from being too generic, but I'm not sure it was worth it, the pay off probably comes too late.

Mike Stoklasa has another one of his great in-depth reviews up, this time the new Star Trek by JJ Abrams, which he actually likes but still rips apart for all the right reasons, it's funny, it's clever, it's absolutely worth the 70 minutes he takes:

http://www.redlettermedia.com/plinkett.html
WC Performances 2003: 28/31 - 2004: 14/43 - 2005: 17/63 - 2006: 31/50 - 2008: 12/41 - 2009: 14/34 - 2010: 24/46
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:18 am

Tripod wrote:Film: The Expendables
Score: 6/10

Review: Credit when credit's due - Sly Stallone directs and stars in an action movie with a distinct retro feel, no cgi, an adult rating due to some fairly extreme violence and of course a great action cast, Jason Statham, Bruce Willis, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Mickey Rourke, even Arnie makes a short appearance. Admittedly, the plot and/or the character development could have been better, it's entirely forgetable, but it's fun while it lasts.

Watched it the other day. Damn, I was laughing out loud several times. And I was at work, it was during night and the kids was all sleeping ffs. Not nice to be laughing out loud !!! Of course, it's totally forgettable, but it's really a good piece of work with loads of irony in it. Stallones caracter is really cool, and besides him I think Dolph Lundgren is the best one. Statham and Li are also cool.
I'd go for upping the score to a 7,5. It looses simply because the story is just toooooo easy, and that it's \, as Alex said, easily forgettable. But it's defo a testo-movie worth watching. And I do like the promising ending. :)
-----------------------------
Jørn F.M.
Founding member of FÖKOF (and FAKO).
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Wayne's and Nick's Carreer Ender
Manager of The People's Lockout!
Il portiere è mongoloide!
Freshmaker

Postby Freshmaker » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:26 am

Film: Crazy Heart
Watched: Yesterday
Format: X-vid.
Score: 9,9/10

What a movie!!! And what a performance by Jeff Bridges!!! Crazy Heart shows the story of an old, whiskey-drinking country-singer, totally over the hill, but with a genuine talent and heart for his music, travelling around in his old, beaten down truck, playing in bars and bowling-alleys. He meets a woman, and slowly, and trough dramatic events, he gets a chance to turn it around.
There's a lot of heart in this film, I really was pulled into the story, hoping for it to turn out good. But the most important part of it, to me, was the music. DAMN, country music CAN be really cool. And Maggie Gyllenhal should be reason enough to watch it. The 0,1 point I hold back on the score is due to the ending. Didn't agree. :)
-----------------------------
Jørn F.M.
Founding member of FÖKOF (and FAKO).
The Aftertouch Podcast.
Wayne's and Nick's Carreer Ender
Manager of The People's Lockout!
Il portiere è mongoloide!
Robert Swift

Postby Robert Swift » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:23 am

Film: Resident Evil - Afterlife (3D)
Watched: Today
Score: 7/10

The Resident Evil films are not exactly cerebral, in fact, not at all. To like them you have to like Milla Jovovich. So I thought I would check this out. Actually it's the most entertaining since the first instalment. The second film was awful and the third not much better so I do know how bad these are, but I can assure you that with brain disengaged this film is entertaining and well put together. And anyone that likes Prison Break is in for a real treat.... no more spoilers than that.
Billy Minof
Posting is free!!!
Posting is free!!!

Postby Billy Minof » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:07 pm

Robert Swift wrote:Film: Resident Evil - Afterlife (3D)

The Resident Evil films are not exactly cerebral, in fact, not at all. To like them you have to like Milla Jovovich. So I thought I would check this out. Actually it's the most entertaining since the first instalment. The second film was awful and the third not much better so I do know how bad these are, but I can assure you that with brain disengaged this film is entertaining and well put together. And anyone that likes Prison Break is in for a real treat.... no more spoilers than that.

I actually read it was quiet good and better than both the second and third as you said, im looking forward to seeing it but tonight I have to watch "They Live" again, love the movie and the missus told me the other night that she never saw it. :?o:
I dont know how she never saw it because I have watched it about 10 times unless she tuned out of it and back into her book...anyway its going on tonight, cant wait.
"To be the Man, you gotta beat the Man"
Robert Swift

Postby Robert Swift » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:27 am

Interesting that you mention a John Carpenter film in the same post as a Paul WS Anderson film. Really I think that PWSA is the new John Carpenter. None of his films are going to win Oscars but, by God, they can be stylish, original and entertaining. I am in the minority that actually loves films like Assault on Precinct 13, The Thing, Escape from New York and Ghosts of Mars. These films have merit. They Live is not bad either - I only saw it once - but I love the whole idea of the glasses that you put on to see the whole world differently. This idea is almost Matrix-like in its nature.

Now two more reviews:

Film: Four Lions
Format: DVD
Score: 8/10

Oh my word, Chris Morris is a genius. This film is that kind of funny/disturbing that fans of The Day Today and Brass Eye will understand. Who else would - quite frankly - have the guts to make a film about British muslim suicide bombers. This film is shocking, brutal, hilarious, farcical, and very upsetting all at once. I am going to have to watch this again sometime. The problem with this (and the most frustrating thing about Chris Morris) is that, despite being hilarious at times, this film slaps you unrelentingly in the face, repeatedly, with the most shocking and brutal social issues of the age. And what's worst of all, this film is not so much based on a true story but just about everything in it has actually happened. Just watch it.

Film: Zombieland
Format: Blu-Ray

The first ten minutes of this film score 25/10. Possibly the greatest, funniest, most brutal and hilarious scenes of cinema I have ever seen. After that, sadly (but perhaps mercifully) the film cannot maintain the superbness it achieves in these opening minutes and is merely QUITE GOOD. Still, a nice take on the zombie genre. And in the sub-genre of 'Zombie comedy' (yes, it exists) I would rank it above (for example) Shaun of the Dead.
Tripod
2000+ Poster!
2000+ Poster!

Postby Tripod » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:08 pm

Film: Resident Evil - Afterlife (3D)
Format: cinema
Score: 5/10

Review: Second 3D movie I saw and I'm already bored of the technology. I don't think it added anything to the 4th Resident Evil. Paul WS Anderson was back to write and direct this but really... give it a miss. Unlike Rob I thought it was no better than the previous two films, the story was simply too slim.

Film: Lebanon

Review: 6th of June 1982, a young Israeli named Samuel Maoz, conscripted to the army, gets thrown into a tank and has to attack the Lebanon, kill people and fear for his life. He later became a director and has now decided to make the movie version of what he lived through - not accurately I guess, but tring to convey to the viewer how it must have felt. Consequently, the star of the movie is the tank, we only get two brief glimpses of it from the outside, right at the beginning and right at the end. The whole movie takes place inside the tank, it's claustrophobic, dirty, smelly... and like him we only see the outside through his cross-haired viewer. In some ways it reminds me of Das Boot, but stripped of everything except for the bare essentials. Definitely worth watching.